North San Diego County BMW tells me the 7.0 upgrade is not covered under warranty. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2006, 2:46 pm Thread Starter

North San Diego County BMW tells me the 7.0 upgrade is not covered under warranty.

North San Diego County BMW put my 06 GT on their computer and told me that my GT will not get the 7.0 upgrade under warranty. The dealer then claimed to have adjusted my throttle cable (although I do not feel a difference in cable slack). The throttle cable "adjustment" did not help. I still have an abrupt throttle response off idle in first through 4th gear.

So I called BMW dealer in Scottsdale Az. and they told me they would be happy to cover the upgrade under warranty for any 06 owner having complaints with throttle response. The Scottsdale BMW service manager told me that sometimes the software upgrade has "to be forced on the motorcycle." Is that true?
Has anyone had the software upgrade "forced" on their GT and did it get rid of the abrupt throttle response when throttle is cracked open?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2006, 3:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumaLT
The Scottsdale BMW service manager told me that sometimes the software upgrade has "to be forced on the motorcycle." Is that true?
Has anyone had the software upgrade "forced" on their GT and did it get rid of the abrupt throttle response when throttle is cracked open?
Yes, the GT's need to be forced...it's 'OK'. Randy Prade had his GT forced and is happy with the results. They are subtle, but he's happy. I didn't have my GT upgraded. I didn't have the time and my GT is smooth anyway.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2006, 3:36 pm

Quote:
..... The Scottsdale BMW service manager told me that sometimes the software upgrade has "to be forced on the motorcycle." Is that true?
1. Yes, its true.
2. Yes, mine was "forced".
3. Yes, its so mellow, its at least as good as my Goldwing. It still has all the power on top end, but very civilized off idle. If I slam the throttle full closed from interstate speed, and keep it there it'll burble a bit when it gets slowed down, and sometimes even backfire, like many other bikes do with aftermarket pipes. I got the cool sound for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2006, 4:04 pm
Addict-oholic

I just got my bike back after the upgrade was forced. It took the dealers computer 3 attempts and one download from BMW NA. But, what a difference. I can finally drive in 1st or 2nd without the on/off fueling. No more bucking etc. My dealer, Manhattan BMW will do it as a warranty issue only if you have complained about your bike not running correctly.

At first, they did not want to do it, until I was a little forceful in telling them that the 600 mile service did not do anything and how disappointed I was in this machine. Voila, they did it under warranty.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2006, 9:10 pm

Quote:
North San Diego County BMW put my 06 GT on their computer and told me that my GT will not get the 7.0 upgrade under warranty.
That's too bad. But where there is a will, there is a way. I'd be convincing them to install it and cover it under warranty or I'd be finding a new dealer to do business with.

It's completely inappropriate for BMW not to include this as a warranty issue. The K bikes have fuel mapping and ECU issues that BMW has been aware of since the bikes were released. That is why they've released several software updates in a relatively short period of time. They simply haven't gotten it quite right yet. I know each update contains software that is applicable to several different models but I also know each has had patches applicable specifically to the new K bikes that are intended to improve the engine performance, fuel mapping, and correct known issues with things like fuel gauge accuracy and the accessory plug issue on the KS, etc.

Dealer service managers can install 7.0 under warranty if there good service managers who know what their doing and wish to do it. It's all in how they document the owners complaint with the bike. Find out what 7.0 fixes, and tell your dealer that's what your having a problem with.

Sorry if I'm ranting. Every time I hear that BMW doesn't consider this something they will correct under warranty, it chaps my hide.

You pay allot for a new BMW, you should expect allot in terms of customer service.
JMHO
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2006, 9:25 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5lam
.... Every time I hear that BMW doesn't consider this something they will correct under warranty, it chaps my hide. You pay allot for a new BMW, you should expect allot in terms of customer service.
JMHO
Here! Here!

I need to ask why a BMW dealer would do something so stupid as to piss off their customer by saying something as outlandish as this. Sometimes I wonder if they intend to get money outta your wallet as well as BMW NA. Not that it ever occurs....

Just tell them it bucks and snorts and stalls on the I-5 during rush hour and you had to push it off to the shoulder and next time you're gonna call them for a tow. Hell. Call them for a tow anyhoo! Bet you get 7.0 for free.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2006, 10:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Here! Here!

I need to ask why a BMW dealer would do something so stupid as to piss off their customer by saying something as outlandish as this. Sometimes I wonder if they intend to get money outta your wallet as well as BMW NA........
I was wondering the same thing, was the dealer trying to get paid twice?

I just sent an email to BMW complaining about North San Diego County BMW Motorcycles. It makes no sense to me. The dealer knows the GT has fueling problems but will not offer the fix under warranty. What is a warranty for?

I told their service department that my motorcycle was dangerous coming out of curves when I have let off the throttle to enter the curve and then reapply the throttle coming out of the curve. It bucks. They didn't care. I was really surprised by their apathy. They repeated, "If the computer says no upgrade, no upgrade." What really upset me was the way they said they adjusted the throttle cable. They had not or the amount they adjusted was not significant. I knew exactly the amount of slack there was before I took the bike in. I think it was their way to say they had done something and bill BMW.

I live right between San Diego and Phoenix. I am just going to go over to Scottsdale where they have already told me that the 7.0 upgrade will be under warranty and they have already figured out how to force update rather than fight with North San Diego County BMW,
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2006, 11:04 pm

Quote:
I was wondering the same thing, was the dealer trying to get paid twice?
Whoa Whoa! Guys! It's my understanding that the dealers are NOT getting reimbursed to do the ver 7.0 upgrades. So they are NOT getting paid twice.

Of course, my dealer offered to do the upgrade for free. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time that day. But that goes to show how important the dealer/customer relationship is. This is why I buy most of my maintenance items from my dealer. Costs a little more, but they always scratch my back too. You ever buy the techs a couple of pizzas? Why not? You'd be amazed at the free crap you get for $20 worth a pizza once or twice a year.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2006, 11:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Whoa Whoa! Guys! It's my understanding that the dealers are NOT getting reimbursed to do the ver 7.0 upgrades. So they are NOT getting paid twice.
That is interesting because the dealer that refused to do my upgrade said he would not do the upgrade because he would not get paid. He said that the only way he would get paid is if the computer indicated an upgrade was needed.

Joe, does this mean that dealers that do the 7.0 upgrade under warranty are not paid by BMW to do the warranty work and therefore are doing the upgrade out of the goodness of thier hearts or in your case for pizza?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2006, 11:46 pm

Quote:
Joe, does this mean that dealers that do the 7.0 upgrade under warranty are not paid by BMW to do the warranty work and therefore are doing the upgrade out of the goodness of thier hearts or in your case for pizza?
I can't answer this with 100% certainty. There may be gray areas and situations where the dealers do get paid, if they can convince BMW that it was a true warranty or safety issue. But I'm pretty sure that by and large, the dealers do not get compensated for upgrading an S4 bike to ver 7 just because the customer wants it.

Frankly, I am waiting for the next release . . . ver 7.x or ver 8.0? A little birdie told me that ver 7.0 did not fix all of the gremlins that are troubling the 'S' like it was supposed to. So certainly a new version isn't far off. Also, the same little birdie told me that BMW is about to update the entire GT-1 software as it doesn't like talking to our beloved GTs all that well. (That's why our GTs need to be forced into an upgrade.) IIRC, at that time, our GTs may be getting a complete firmware overhaul. We'll see.

Until then, I'm just gonna keep riding it like I stole it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode