350 miles.... i have but ONE piece of advice - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2006, 3:54 pm Thread Starter

350 miles.... i have but ONE piece of advice

Go buy one..... it's as simple as that

but......
to be a bit more specific:

350 miles today
back roads
few twisties
interstate
85-94 degrees

continued observations:

- the bike i smooth
- the bike is fast
- the bike is quiet

42 mpg..... even at 90 mph and the short screen 1/2 way up

- the throttle really IS like a "rheostat."
- the teves brakes are very linear
- the seat is fine for me so far
- the light color of the seat sucks for staying clean
- the computer is fantastic
- the ESA really works.... the comfort mode sucks up all the bumps on the interstates around here
- the sport mode really makes the bike rail through the corners
- the bridgestone tires are quite sticky and seem to work well in the dry.... haven't tried them in the wet yet
- great heat dissipation.... but, at a long light, you can feel the heat coming from the right side of the bike

i bought the MARSEE CORONA 20L back today
it is an incredible bag... and perfect for this bike
and.... no bag has EVER been easier to remove in a hurry.... to re-fuel or at the end of the day

well.....
that's enough for now
....... please don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have

but.......
see my first statement
find a way to buy one.... if you can
this is...... IN EVERY SENSE OF THE WORLD the BEST bike BMW has ever made
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2006, 4:23 pm

Hi Greg,

I read your ride home from the dealer post and agree with most of the things
you stated. I have not had the 7.0 update as of this time and find the throttle to
be manageable but nowhere as smooth as your experience. Mine, like others seem
to completely shut off around 2,000 rpm when going to fully closed. You mention that you
are still running the 6.0. I am now curious if BMW has made some other than software
mods to provide you with a rheostat like throttle. I also have what I perceive to be a very
pleasing induction sound as I start to accelerate. This in conjunction with the exhaust note
is as good as it get's for sport touring. If you have done 350mi on your seat I don't believe that you have anything to be concerned about. I barely can do 150 before
I have to pull over. Enjoy the Gt as soooo many have.

Ride Safe,

Phil
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2006, 4:45 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
this is...... IN EVERY SENSE OF THE WORLD the BEST bike BMW has ever made
Great the bike is just what you are looking forward. A nice complement to the MV. Would only clarify, it is the best bike BMW has made for your needs/wants. It isn't the best for off road. It isn't the best for the canyons, or best for long distance touring (Many would say LT or RT). But I get your point and as long as you are psyched, that's what matters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2006, 4:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_p
Hi Greg,

I read your ride home from the dealer post and agree with most of the things
you stated. I have not had the 7.0 update as of this time and find the throttle to
be manageable but nowhere as smooth as your experience. Mine, like others seem
to completely shut off around 2,000 rpm when going to fully closed. You mention that you
are still running the 6.0. I am now curious if BMW has made some other than software
mods to provide you with a rheostat like throttle. I also have what I perceive to be a very
pleasing induction sound as I start to accelerate. This in conjunction with the exhaust note
is as good as it get's for sport touring. If you have done 350mi on your seat I don't believe that you have anything to be concerned about. I barely can do 150 before
I have to pull over. Enjoy the Gt as soooo many have.

Ride Safe,

Phil
phil....
you are right in wondering whether something ELSE was done to the '07s to make the throttle more Manageable withOUT having to update to 7.0.
i'm really not sure.... and i'm pretty sure that no one in this country will have an accurate answer

the seat isn't perfect
but, that brutale made me appreciate the bmw seat

about that exhaust note....
something happens at 7,000 rpm that makes the induction noise double and get much more pleasing

i like it a lot
i can't wait until the bike is broken in
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2006, 8:00 pm

Greg,
Just curious. You said you have the Marsee Corona 20l tankbag. I have the BMW tankbag, and because of the way it slopes, have no trouble seeing the Garmin Navigator. Is your NAVIII mounted on the BMW mount, and if it is, can you see it ok? If possible, can you post a picture?
Thanks,
Carl
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2006, 8:02 pm

And by the way, since we have some similar bikes, I KNEW you would love the GT. It's only going to get better. This bike truly has everything I personnally am looking for in a motorcycle; power, handling, comfort, power, power....
Carl
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2006, 10:10 pm

Greg S - Glad to hear you like the Corona bag; I love mine and as you said, it's so easy at a fill up, and I like the way the maps go in and the ability to flip them over.
We'll see when you do a real long ride how much you like the seat...try a few thousand in a couple of days. Oh, and your mileage should get a little better with more miles; I get 50 mpg keeping below 80mph.
Cheers, Greg C
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2006, 11:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carldmd
Greg,
Just curious. You said you have the Marsee Corona 20l tankbag. I have the BMW tankbag, and because of the way it slopes, have no trouble seeing the Garmin Navigator. Is your NAVIII mounted on the BMW mount, and if it is, can you see it ok? If possible, can you post a picture?
Thanks,
Carl
i see the nav fine
and i'm only 5'6"...
the bag will be left UNexpanded.... but it fits PERFECTLY
and my nav iii IS mounted on the standard bmw mount
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2006, 9:30 am

Congrats on finally getting your bike!! Hey, I thought you were one of the people telling me that the Corona didn't look right on the GT Anyway I really like mine.

Have you had a chance to ride the bike in heavy traffic? That's when I notice the snatchy throttle.

Rob
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2006, 9:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
i see the nav fine
and i'm only 5'6"...
the bag will be left UNexpanded.... but it fits PERFECTLY
and my nav iii IS mounted on the standard bmw mount
Sitting on Greg's bike will soon be like looking at the TV wall at Best Buy. a GPS screen for each eye...and then some!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode