Woo! Took delivery of my '07 GT last Saturday - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 12:22 am Thread Starter
Capn' Blowhard

Woo! Took delivery of my '07 GT last Saturday

It rained here in Dallas a good portion of the weekend so I've only been able to put 150 miles on her so far, but what a great bike.

This is my first "big bike", my other bike being a Ducati Supersport 800 (which weighs about exactly half what the GT weighs!) - but I have to say it's a real joy to pilot. Not a blast under 5mph or in stop and go traffic, but once underway it's very light and wonderfully balanced.

I've been lurking here for several months awaiting my GT - mine was scheduled for delivery sometime in October or November, but my dealer had an unallocated bike show up last week - talk about an early Christmas present! It matched my build spec to the letter, but had one more option than I had originally wanted (cruise). But I wasn't going to say no for a few bucks more!

She's Graphite with silver siding - I also wanted a black seat like so many here with that color combo but ended up with a gray seat (it does in fact get dirty if you so much as look at it). I can already tell that, as several owners have pointed out, the seat leaves a lot to be desired in the comfort area. I went out last night after midnight (but before drunk o'clock!) for some light traffic riding and after just an hour I could tell that a new seat was in my near future.

I already have a Baileys windshield on the way - I'm 6'0 and I can't find a perfect position for the normal shield. All the way down, windy of course. All the way up is right in the middle of my view which bugs me plus it's very blustery and turbulent...I went with with a 3" higher, 2" wider CBA screen and we'll see how that goes.

The bike is loaded - had a lot of fun playing around with the ESA settings last night and like others, found that solo + luggage is just about right for me. Solo without luggage felt a bit mushy to me.

Let's see, a few '07 specific observations are probably in order :

1. It does not have servo assissted brakes. There is an odd ratchety sound if you just push the bike with it off and apply the front brake. Sounds like a zip tie being tightened up. Does not happen when stationary. On a related note, brake feel is wonderfully linear and strong.

2. I asked them to install 7.0 at PDI but I'm 99% certain they did not. The Duc is injected and suffers the same sort of on/off behavior as the GT but much to my surprise it is MUCH worse and more pronounced with the GT. I've taken all of the slack out of the throttle cable and, while this has helped, managing the throttle in 1st and 2nd gear around slow corners or in parking lots requires a very light touch...looking forward to seeing how the 7.0 update feels.

3. No tire pressure moniting - bummer.

4. No Xenon. Bummer, BUT the headlights are pretty dang good I have to say - highbeam was amazing compared to what the Duc throws out.

I have a big top box on order - should be here in about 2 weeks...will wait and see how bad the contrast is before getting it painted. I kind of like the saftey benefit of a big bright silver box out back there, but it's hard to predict how much that will actually factor in as a means of drawing attention.

Fueled up tonight - the bike estimated that I had 17 miles left in the tank but only took 4.7 gallons. Good thing I slowed down around gallon mark 4.2 or so! Hahaha...I was on my way to loading 5+ gallons but had a momentary Ducati moment and slowed down out of habbit. Good thing, that.

The bike tips in VERY easily into low speed turns - has surprised me on a few occasions. Combined with the super touchy throttle, this has might tight right handers more entertaining than they should have been probably. :o

On a completely WTF sort of note - I thought for certain that the posture of this bike would be super comfy compared to the relative rack that the Ducati can be. But after just a few hours today, I actually had shoulder and slight neck cramps getting off the bike! Talk about backwards - I took the Duc out tonight and it felt, dare I say it, completely comfy compared to the seating position on the GT. I joked with my wife tonight that I must be the only guy to go from a sportbike to a tourer and complain that the posture feels unnatural and a touch uncomfy! I did adjust my bars all the way down and with the seat set to the low settting this seems to be the most comfy setup for me on the bike.

I'll be putting in a few more hundred miles this week, and the plan is to do the northern lakes tour up at Lavon here this weekend with a buddy - should have break in miles down next week and then it's off to Big Bend next month for a nice 10 day camping trip.

Quick question for all you GT owners - what tire pressures are you running? Are you runnning stock 36.1 front / 42.1 out back? That seems a bit high to me, and made me wonder if it was attributing to the quick tip in and slightly squirrely front end when coming to slow stops and such. I'm adjusting to big bike life though and I imagine that the higher pressures are not just advertised to maximize tire life, but are rather integral to the overall suspension setup.

Can't wake to get back in the saddle in the morning! I'll take some pics this weekend when we're out hitting the backroads so we can get some more graphite pics up here.

Cheers!

Last edited by Nexus-6; Sep 19th, 2006 at 2:04 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 5:02 am

welcome to the forum
congrats on the bike
a few thoughts about YOUR thoughts:

1. glad you like the bike... it IS wonderful
2. sorry you, TOO, got the gray seat.... they color is NOT conducive to looking clean in a month
3. give yourself some seat time before deciding about an aftermarket seat... don't let the "asses" of other folks sway you into a rush decision..... every bottom is different.... if you get my point
4. that ratcheting sound is normal when the bike is pushed and the front brake is applied
5. as for your throttle control being worse than your duc... there must be something wrong with your bike... because mine is smooth as glass (also '07, running 6.0).... have it checked. also, don't let the ramblings of this forum cause you to "pre-think" that you'll have throttle issues.... if it really IS THAT bad... go see your dealer
6. the big top box is great... you'll love it... i have NO plans to paint mine at this point
7. the bike's fuel computer counts down to reserve...... 1.1 gallons left..... then it'll begin COUNTING DOWN the miles to zero.... your's is working fine.... it is VERY accurate
8. yes..... the 36/42 pressure are correct..... this is NOT a ducati... you do NOT run "sport bike tire pressures" on a 620 pounds sport tourer.... BMW knows what it's talking about when it makes these STRONG SUGGESTIONS... most folks run HIGHER than normal pressures on BMWs, historically-speaking.
9. get some seat time in with different seat/bar heights... then make some conclusions..... as for your duc being more comfortable.... OF COURSE THAT IS THE CASE... YOU ARE USED TO THAT BIKE.... so, now you'll get used to something else

continue riding
you bought an amazing piece of machinery
give it some time
and listen to what folks say here... but, remember that these are only OPINIONS of other folks (including my post here, as MY opinion)

enjoy!!!!!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 7:22 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus-6
.... But after just a few hours today, I actually had shoulder and slight neck cramps getting off the bike! Talk about backwards - I took the Duc out tonight and it felt, dare I say it, completely comfy compared to the seating position on the GT.
Interesting you said that. I'm also 6' and experienced some neck cramps. After I installed the Heli-Bars that subsided.

Enjoy the bike. It really is a nice machine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 7:47 am

Quote:
Quick question for all you GT owners - what tire pressures are you running? Are you runnning stock 36.1 front / 42.1 out back? That seems a bit high to me, and made me wonder if it was attributing to the quick tip in and slightly squirrely front end when coming to slow stops and such. I'm adjusting to big bike life though and I imagine that the higher pressures are not just advertised to maximize tire life, but are rather integral to the overall suspension setup.
Congrats on the new bike.

I'm actually running higher pressures than that. :wtf I run 42 front, 46 rear.

If you think the GT is a "big bike" and heavy, you should try riding the K1200LT awhile. It's only about 230 pounds heavier than the GT!!! FWIW, I used to run 46 front, 51 rear on the LT.

I think every one needs to experiment with tire pressures to find out what gives them the best performance and mileage out of whatever tires they're running. Make sense?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 9:50 am
Addict

Quote:
I already have a Baileys windshield on the way - I'm 6'0 and I can't find a perfect position for the normal shield. All the way down, windy of course. All the way up is right in the middle of my view which bugs me plus it's very blustery and turbulent...I went with with a 3" higher, 2" wider CBA screen and we'll see how that goes.
Let me know how this goes as I'm 6'4" and broad shouldered. I know I need at least 4" taller, not sure about width though.......

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 9:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard
Let me know how this goes as I'm 6'4" and broad shouldered. I know I need at least 4" taller, not sure about width though.......
I'm 6'3" and I ride tall. I have the +6+3. If I was to order a new one it would be a +4+2.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 10:01 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I'm 6'3" and I ride tall. I have the +6+3. If I was to order a new one it would be a +4+2.
Just out of curiosity is there an issue with th bigger one?

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 1:40 pm
Enthusiast

Congrats on the new GT! Regarding the throttle mgt. issue your having, many have it. Obviously, many do not. Mine was definitely worse early on between 0-2500 miles . Just a suggestion, give it some time and see if yours smooths out a little. That said, 7.0 definitely improves it. Enjoy the ride!

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog !"

07 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 5:14 pm Thread Starter
Capn' Blowhard

I'm going to give the bike a few weeks and about 1000 miles of use to see how the throttle behaves - it's not horrible, but it is certainly there and doesn't behave like I would expect a bike of this nature to behave.

Thanks for the kind words guys and I hope to see some of you out and about! I'll be playing with pressures over the weekend and we'll see how it goes. We finally have some GREAT weather here in the Dallas area - I think the high was in the mid 80's today! Looking forward to this weekend...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 6:11 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm going to give the bike a few weeks and about 1000 miles of use to see how the throttle behaves - it's not horrible, but it is certainly there and doesn't behave like I would expect a bike of this nature to behave.

Thanks for the kind words guys and I hope to see some of you out and about! I'll be playing with pressures over the weekend and we'll see how it goes. We finally have some GREAT weather here in the Dallas area - I think the high was in the mid 80's today! Looking forward to this weekend...

Bring that new GT down here to Central Tx. and break it in and we'll play on a few of these "hill country roads". I promise you will not be disappointed.

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog !"

07 K1200 GT deep blue metallic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode