2006 K12GT problem... Please help! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 1:40 am Thread Starter

2006 K12GT problem... Please help!

Hi All,

I have been reading from this forums plus a couple of other bmw forums for a couple of months now.

I love my 06 K1200 GT, I bought it before I even find out anything about it or even check it out in BMW forums.

Sorry, let me introduce myself. My name is Actually Sunny Lee, I lived in Hacienda Heights area in Los Angeles.

I walked in Brown BMW 2 month ago to buy an RT, saw the K1200GT in the showroom with sold sign on it. I talked to the sale guy about it. He told me the bike is sold but the buyer has not come to pick up the bike. To make a long story short, we make a deal and took the bike home the next day.

My K12GT now has over 2000 miles on it, I am very happy with the way it rides and handle. I got Electronic suspension, heat seat, grip, tall screen, computer.

About a month ago, my bike will stall when I slow down in second gear and hold the clutch in... Like going into gas station of making left/right slow turn. At first the bike will start right up and everything is okay, but for the past couple of week... the engine will start right up and have problem idle and stall again... only way to keep going is to give it gas and kept going. Only do this after a long ride.. at least 50 plus miles... One time, the bike start to idle at 1800 rpm the whole way home (stop and go traffic).

Other than this, the bike is running good, no problem with any other problem at all, no problem with throttle at all...

I have brought the bike back to the dealer and computer check out fine. The tech told me to come straight over the next time this happen... This is kind of hard to do... Don't know when this is going to happen...

Anyone else seen this before on a 06 k1200gt? Thanks! Sorry for the long post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 4:52 am

welcome to the forum

sorry for your problems
did the dealer attempt to install the 7.0 software.... as that might have fixed your problem.

the main point.... there is NO reason to "come over when the problem happen."
that's why they have a computer to do all the diagnostics.... if they don't know that... go to another dealer.

this problem OUGHT to be able to be fixed IMMEDIATELY upon being hooked up to the computer

let us know
good luck
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 5:37 am
Veteran

I seem to recall seeing this problem on this forum before. I think if you do a search for "high idle" or even "1800" you might turn something up. I beleive it turned out to be the O2 sensor in the exhaust was the problem.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy the new bike and good luck getting this solved.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 6:44 am

Welcome to the forum!
You will find most of the people here know what they are talking about, except a guy named Joe.

just kidding.

I dealt with Browns BMW several times some 25 years ago when I owned a 1980 R 100 RT.
They had shitty service then, and it sounds like not much has changed.
Take your GT to IRV Seaver in Orange County, they have some great mech's. there.

Don't know about your specific problem, but I'm pretty confident they will get you squared away.
Let us know.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 7:33 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTdavey
Take your GT to IRV Seaver in Orange County, they have some great mech's. there.
I'll second that. They are around 150 miles from me and they are the best I've dealt with. I had to dismantle the final drive on my old RT and dragged it down to them for a rebuild. They had it done by noon while I waited. Never really mentioned what day I was bringing it down, but they jumped right on it. The thing never leaked again in nearly 100K miles.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 7:38 am

Yep, you need to get this bike to a different deal ASAP. There's obviously something wrong, and it shouldn't be that hard for a capable tech to troubleshoot.

Otherwise, welcome to the asylum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTdavey
You will find most of the people here know what they are talking about, except a guy named Joe.
Yea...that guy's a real MORON!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 8:05 am
Enthusiast

Same issue with my 06 GT. 5000 miles and it's happend three times. Complete engine failure, onlly after 100+ miles, ALWAYS while gearing down to a stop, no warning, no gurggle, starts up runs again. It's like you turned off the key. My dealer had the bike last week for 6 day, tech drove it home twice for a total of 200 miles, nothing! What disturbs me, dealer will not replace anything until they can replicate the issue. I am just waiting to be stuck on the side of the highway miles from home. Final thought, I was told BMW North America rep has been informed of issue. Has never failed at constant rate of speed. Always while gearing down to stop. Obvious items to consider: Kill switch, side stand switch, clutch microswitch, possible, Cam sensor issue. Perplexed and lossing confidence!

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog !"

07 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 3:09 pm Thread Starter

Thanks you guys.

When I took my bike back to brown bmw, the tech hook it up to the computer and everything was fine... Well, the bike was running flawlessly on the way to the dealer...

I really hate to have problem like this... Especially paying $23k plus for it... I never have any problems with any other bikes I had before...

This is my first BMW bike/car... Really love this bike, hate the inconsistant engine stalling... Don't know when it is going to happen...

I will try different dealer and see how helpful they are...

Thanks!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 4:26 pm

Exactly the same issue!

Guys, I have exactly the same issue with my '06. I did upgrade to 7.0 and the problem has not gone away.

I just called Ventura and sadly they don't have any loaners at the moment so it will be a bit tough for me to get my bike in there.

I just had it happen on the way back from lunch. Very frustrating.

I'll tell them about the O2 sensor.

-mark=
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 4:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-K12GT
Thanks you guys.

When I took my bike back to brown bmw, the tech hook it up to the computer and everything was fine... Well, the bike was running flawlessly on the way to the dealer...

I really hate to have problem like this... Especially paying $23k plus for it... I never have any problems with any other bikes I had before...

This is my first BMW bike/car... Really love this bike, hate the inconsistant engine stalling... Don't know when it is going to happen...

I will try different dealer and see how helpful they are...

Thanks!
LA

Is the Brown BMW you're speaking of in Pomona CA? I was thinking of buying from them, but if the service is bad, I'll go to orange county.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode