European Tour '06 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2006, 8:26 am Thread Starter
Rookie

European Tour '06

Having just got back from my 10 day biking holiday with friends in Europe i thought i would let you know how it went.
I had had my 07 model GT a week and had put on 850 miles on the clock enjoying myself before my trip abroad. Three bikes left on the trip a BMW K12 S a Honda VTR 1000 and my K12 GT, We left Yorkshire, England on Friday the 8th of September heading down to Dover for the ferry crossing, this gave us a break before commencing the journey in France, travelling down to Alencon where we stopped at a formulea 1 hotel, which is a chain of cheap basic hotels. Milage was 552 which to the best of my knowledge was at the time my most in a day.
Day 2 started in glorious weather and we traveled down [missing Paris out] the central region of France , stoppping to view then travel over the Millau bridge the tallest vehicular bridge in the World, much to the horror of my wife! we traveled onwards deceiding to see how we all feel in a while, this turned into a 1003 mile journey all the way to our destination in the Costa Blanca region of Spain! The average speed over the two days was 61 miles per hour and the GT averaged 54.3 miles per gallon. The only problem i encounted was the sore butt on the GT which i have to say was excruiciatingly painful and i now believe all the people on here who have moaned about the seat. If it hadn't been for my friends cusion seat i don't know how i would have made it back, i have booked in for a gel seat ASAP. The economy of the BMW's was brought home when my friends Honda, same size tank as the K12S [ 19litres ] ran out of petrol after 130 miles of fairly fast riding and the BMW only putting in 13 litres of petrol, it did give us a 2 hour breakthough.

I had always had problems with my wide feet and i had received my new Daytona wide fit roadstar boots the day before our trip, whilst not cheap these were amazing for me with at last no sore toes, i would recomend them to any one especially with wide feet.

We did 327 miles, ave mpg 47.8, ave mph 34.4 whilst in the Costa Blanca mainly because my friends K12 S lost the neutral indicator light and wouldn't start unless the clutch was pulled in , so it was taken away to Belmoto BMW in Spain. Whilst BMW international recovery offered my friends to be flown home , taxis , hire car etc what was disappointing was always getting a different person on the phone and only getting offered the above in dribs and drabs. We also expected the bike to be seen by a traveling car based mechanic who we thought might plug it into his computer and remap it or do what ever but this wasn't to be. We also diodn't find out till the fourth day of no bike that the shop had been shut Sunday , Mon, Tue for a bank holiday and they couldn't say when it would be looked at then we needed to send off a fax to the garage to authorise the work etc Anyway on the last day of our holiday before returning we recovered his bike with a new part that apparently has been going on the K12S , they said his BMW was the 6th this year to have it done by them.

We set of in 27 degrees of heat towards Zaragosa and across the Pyrenees into France, on the way on the way we passed a GB plated GS and a 06 plated Graphite K1200GT. Once we got going inland we had loads of relativly empty roads to enjoy with no Police, no road works fantastic. Once we entered France it was raining foggy and miserable all the way through the Pyrenees until we stopped at Montauban. This was where i wish i hadn't forgot my bluetooth earpiece for my Garmin 2820 as i missed the turn off in terrible conditions and it must have added an hour to my journey, which when your tired out wasn't good. Having purchased the Streetguard suit for the wife and myself before setting of i have to say they never let in any water at all and there was plenty coming down! We did 592 miles averaging 52.2 mph and 55.4 mpg.

On day 2 of the return we started out in rain again until about 1pm then the sun came out again which made it far more enjoyable. We went through some stunning countryside and around Le Mans we passed a cavalcade of vintage cars from all eras which was excellent, we also passed a group of about 10 bikes towing trailers! We decided to get to Dover in England and stay at the Premier inns for the night, the bar had just shut [ Sunday 10.30pm] the food was closed and the was only a takeaway open, welcome home! We did 675 miles averaging 56.9 mph and 55.4 mpg

Day 3 was a short in relative terms trip home up the M20, M25, M11, A1, M18, M62 then all the way to Bridlington.This was an uneventful steady journey except for the heavy traffic on the M25. Where whilst filtering my throttle on the GT deceided to keep sticking on causing me a few moments. It would stay at approx 2,000 reves even with no hand on the bar then when i pulled in the clutch lever the revs rose to2,500 - 3,000. I got over this by blipping the throttle and the revs would go back to normal, but not what you want. My dealer Rainbow BMW in Rotherham were first rate and had it in the next day , but no fault showed up in the diagnostic test. They are getting it back in to replace a part that i found on here where someone else had had a similar problem, this i thought was first class. We did 298 miles on day 3 averaging 57.1 mph and 56.5 mpg.

Total milage for the trip was 3,449 , great empty roads even though alot are motorway toll roads, fantastic scenery and a bike besides the seat that loved it , two up with luggage we went down twistys with ease and cruised the motorways. I would recomend France and Spain to anyone just make sure you can manage with the seat.

Great Riding

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	re sized BMW  & Calpe 1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	3455   Click image for larger version

Name:	resized bmw & millau bridge .jpg
Views:	52
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	3456   Click image for larger version

Name:	resized bmw pyrenees.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	3457   Click image for larger version

Name:	resized bmw pyrennes fog.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	3458   Click image for larger version

Name:	resizred bmw cds.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	3459  

K1200 GT SE
Dark Graphite Metalic
Slate Grey side panels
Small Top Box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2006, 8:47 am

what a great write-up
excellent trip.....
and on MY bike
this is fantastic
thanks for telling us all about this adventure

and the images are nice, too
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2006, 8:53 am

i guess your MPG values were based on IMPERIAL gallons and not US gallons, right?

because 55mpg seems a bit high for a new bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2006, 9:09 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi
Yes UK mpg, also after filling up with these mpg figures it would tell me the tank range was 316 miles for example on one occasion, i think this is before the reserve as well !But i was glad of the early stops of the Honda by the end.

all the best
Tim

K1200 GT SE
Dark Graphite Metalic
Slate Grey side panels
Small Top Box

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode