Need Help Picking a taller windscreen - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 10:42 am Thread Starter
Addict

Need Help Picking a taller windscreen

6'4", 34" inseam. Also broad shoulders.

SO on the freeway, with the windscreen up I get lots of wind noise and I can feel it on my helmet.

When I crouch down the windscreen does a good job, because then I just hear engine noise.

SO I want to get one big enough so that freeway driving is comfortable, but not overly big.

So I was thinking +5 height, +3 width. COuld drop it to +4, +2. Any opinions?

I think, Messenger13 (Joe) said he had a +6 , +4 and wishes he had droped it to a +4, +2, although he realy never said why?

Oh yeah, next summer I will get a dark grey short screen.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 10:53 am

Hi Hazard,

I am 6'2" with a 32" inseam, seat in the high position.

I have a CB +5/+3, and I'm very content of it. I tried the different sizes by taping a cardboard to my original screen with duct tape. I hesitated between a +4/+3 and a +5/+3, and now a +4/+3 could have done the job: in the highest position I look thru the shield, in the lowest position I look well over it.

Results however are very good: still a little bit of windnoise, but not that unbearable buffeting I had with the large stock screen. I can now do 100 mph with my Sys V screen open. When the screen is all up the wind flows over your helmet.

Since you are 2" taller I think +5/+3 would be the best, also since you indicate you have broad shoulders.

Rgds

Luc
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:04 am
Enthusiast

Windshield

I am 6' - just added the +4/+3. The flip of the CB helps, the height helps but the big change i believe is from the added side width. I would certainly recommend the +3 to the sides and no less.
cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard

SO on the freeway, with the windscreen up I get lots of wind noise and I can feel it on my helmet.

When I crouch down the windscreen does a good job, because then I just hear engine noise.

SO I want to get one big enough so that freeway driving is comfortable, but not overly big.

I think, Messenger13 (Joe) said he had a +6 , +4 and wishes he had droped it to a +4, +2, although he realy never said why?

i'm only 5'6" so i have nothing to help here

but.....
please remember that the CeeBailey numbers refer to the STANDARD/LOW BMW screen, not the tall one you got.... that is +2 already

FWIW/FYI
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 2:11 pm

Quote:

I'm 6'1", 32" inseam. I have the +5,+3 and find it almost perfect. I run it a bit over midway up most of the time so the wind just brushes my helmet for better ventilation in hot weather. In the rain I have it all the way up, and can just barely see over it.

My wife's (she's 5'10") uses a +3,+3, and it's a bit short for me, perfect for her.

I'd recommend either a +5,+3 or a +6,+3 for you. If you're going to use a different shield for hot weather, the +6,+3 would probably be the better mild weather shield for you. You'll likely be please with how much quieter the Cee Bailey is compared to stock.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 2:39 pm

Quote:

I am 6'3" and 34 inseam, broad shoulders.

I have the Cee Bailey's windshield, plus 5" taller and 2" wider. I am very happy with it. However I don't think another inch in height and width would be a problem.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 3:30 pm
Addict-oholic

So you and the wife ride the same bikes. What colors are they and do you switch off riding each other's bikes ?

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 4:24 pm

I am 6'1" and use the +4+2. It works well for me and I do not need any more height or width.

Brian
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 5:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben
..clip

My wife's (she's 5'10") uses a +3,+3, and it's a bit short for me, perfect for her.

I'd recommend either a +5,+3 or a +6,+3 for you. If you're going to use a different shield for hot weather, the +6,+3 would probably be the better mild weather shield for you. You'll likely be please with how much quieter the Cee Bailey is compared to stock.
Sounds like the same height as me, can I ask her inseam so I can understand the overall sitting height.

Thanks.

JC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode