Buggar, My New Bikes Broken! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:59 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Unhappy Buggar, My New Bikes Broken!

G'day every one.I just got back from a 500km ride on a great inland road (high speed, and most of it in the rain)I lost my gear indication and neutral light.It began with the gear indicator figure 6 flashing on and off intermittently, then I noticed when I pulled over for a drink that 1st was not showing, nor was neutral.
Turns out that the number will illuminate once the clutch lever is fully released, and not until.
The numbers display slower through the gears than normal, and as I said, no neutral light at all. Also, when in neutral now, and I put the side stand down, the engine cuts out. So, must be a sensor issue at the box, and not the LCD on the info center.
I'll talk to the dealer on Monday and they can fix it Ill also get em to load V7 as well, as I do now think the throttle response is too abrupt in first and second at LOW speed.Best wishes all.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 2:28 am

Sorry to hear about your problem. How many Miles/KM is on your bike?

The dealer should be able to take care of your problem, let us know what cause the problem.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 3:35 am Thread Starter
Addict

G'day Sunny.
About 3800kms (approx 2200mile).
I'll keep the group informed. Interesting if any one else has had the same issue, but I haven't seen a post on this subject.

Best wishes mate.

ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 4:22 am

i'm sorry for that electrical gremlin
i hope that it will be fixed quickly
we've heard a few stories about the gear indicator issue now

we'll await the outcome

good luck
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 6:00 am
The Gov

If you don't have the version 7 software loaded, read the service bulletin that El Jeffe posted for the Version 7 software. Issues with the gear position indicator were addressed in the bulletin, if they are similar to yours, maybe it's a real simple fix with the GT1.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 6:37 am Thread Starter
Addict

Thumbs up

G'day Greg and Phil.
Thanks for the info. I actually did read these posts as they were submitted, but forgot about them. I just went back and did a search and found the threads re gear indication issues.
The problem as described sounds exactly as my bike is experiencing. Only issue I have is that it only started today (not from new) and only after a decent rain exposure, though I've been rained on fairly heavy a few times. (It's great as we are in the dry season now, and rain is welcome!)
I s'pose the problem has to start some where.
Either way, as mentioned, I'll discuss it with the local dealership on Monday and see what they can do.
I'll report back with the diagnosis. I'm not overly concerned re this. It's just an embuggerance, and that's all.

Best wishes everyone.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 8:19 am

Not that this will fix your bike, but I had the exact same problem at around 3300miles and they ended up replacing the gear potentiometer. I actually rode my bike until the dealer was able to fit me into the schedule and ignored the gear display.

Good luck

12' R1200GS Rallye
08' K1200GT (traded)
06' Audi A4 3.2Q
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 2:07 pm Thread Starter
Addict

If I had known there was a gear potentiometer, that is exactly what I would have suggested was at fault! (The sensor in the gear box that tells the dash where we are re the clusters. Obviously signals the engine cut out looped to the side stand as well.
I'm looking forward to the factory workshop manual on DVD for this machine (not so I can pull it apart, more to understand the layout of systems.)
I'll keep riding the bike as well, but obviously have to be careful re no neutral indication. I'll ride it like my Indians. Actually, they only have three speeds, and Neutral on a hand shift is so much easier to find!

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 3:19 pm

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by baytown
If I had known there was a gear potentiometer, that is exactly what I would have suggested was at fault! (The sensor in the gear box that tells the dash where we are re the clusters. Obviously signals the engine cut out looped to the side stand as well.
I'm looking forward to the factory workshop manual on DVD for this machine (not so I can pull it apart, more to understand the layout of systems.)
I'll keep riding the bike as well, but obviously have to be careful re no neutral indication. I'll ride it like my Indians. Actually, they only have three speeds, and Neutral on a hand shift is so much easier to find!

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

Ken,
Saw the movie, World's Fastest Indian. a few weeks back. I swear you played the leading role in that movie. Best of luck with the ol' bitty, mate.
Dave
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 4:35 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Wink

G'day Dave, how are you mate?
Re Worlds Fastest Indian, the movie was VERY accurate down to the length of the grass around his shed! (He really was feral!)
That being said, god I hope I don't look like him!!!! (But I do need to get out on the tractor and slash the property!)

Best wishes Dave.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode