Trouble getting it into first gear. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 12:53 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Trouble getting it into first gear.

07 less than 500 miles. This is happening more and more.

Coming to a stop at a red putting into neutral, and then when I go to take off I cannot get it into first gear. I believe in all instance I can get it into 2nd gear and just use that. About 3 or 4 times in stop and go traffic, I kind pushed it a bit and felt some resistance through the drive train then it frees up then it goes into first.

IN most instances when I was down shifting from say 4th gear approaching a red light, I think I was able to go from 2nd gear to Neutral, non-deliberate half shift, when it occurs. However today, it did happen when I went all the way to first then very soft shift into neutral.

THe tranny it self has a very heavy clunck when shiffting , which I think is what I have read about this transmission anyway

Getting a bit irritating.

Is this a "break in" issue? ANy other ideas?

Going to the dealer this Friday and will mention it.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 1:27 pm

well,
i'm sorry to hear that
it certainly hasn't happened on mine.... and i've heard nothing elsewhere about this issue

as much as i don't want to say it.... i think your dealer better take a look my friend
please get back to us about the outcome

good luck
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 1:44 pm

I have had this problem intermittently. It seems to occur when the ambient air temp is rather high and the cooling fan is running (not that the fan running is a cause or symptom, just noting the heat).

For me this is usually combined with catching neutral unshifting from 1st to 2nd.

If the transmission gets caught in neutral, I get it unstuck by rolling the bike a few inches forward with the clutch in, or by giving the throttle a rev. Usually one of the two works.

My dealer said that they will check into it at my 6k colonoscopy.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 2:32 pm

try this

does it make any difference if you pump the clutch lever several time and then press down?

You might also want to ajust the shift lever linkage...if shifting up works fine the shift lever goes one direction and the point on the bike goes the other direction. Try shortening the linkage one or two turns and see if that gets any better or worse. Mark the linkage (count the treads showing) before you change anything that way you can get it back to where it was.

There have been several posts about adjusting the linkage and getting wonderful results.

Hope you get it worked out.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 3:42 pm
Addict

same problem on an 06 KR

Happened about 8 times now (1200 miles)

7 of the 8 happened before the first service, and has only happened once since the 600 mile service.

Pumping the clutch lever did not help, nor did rolling forward or back a bit. Had to take off in second.

The tech who did the service did not make any adjustments, but the problem has been less since the service, which also included a 5.x to 7.0 software update.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 5:34 pm
Telepathetic

Mine will resist from time to time. I don't shift into first from a stop. I wait until I am almost at a stop but still rolling and it drops into gear very quietly, well at least for a BMW. My tranny is much quieter and smoother the more I practice shifting with very little clutch pull and a quick shift. I also had the the BMW synthetic oil put in at the 6K. I now have 10K and it is pretty darn sweet shifting.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 6:36 pm

i guess that 99% of the time i sit at a light (and i seem to sit a LOT of them.... in 1st gear, having shifted down to it as i rolled to a stop)
so, i rarely have to CLUNK the bike into 1st as the light turns green (maybe this is why my left hand always aches when i'm riding in the city)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 7:38 pm
Addict

Hazard...first gear is straight cut. Everything else is helical. This means that the first gear engagment requires alignment of the gear teeth. If you are at a complete stop when you try to engage first gear and the teeth are not aligned you won't be able to do it. If you are completely stopped already, just slightly release the clutch to get the the gears moving then drop it into first gear. Otherwise make sure that you engage first gear prior to coming to a complete stop. I'm sure that your bike is fine. No worries. I'm also sure you've heard before....it's all in the touch!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 8:08 pm

I had a problem with this also. I found the shifter was not returning to the correct position to do the next shift. In other words, I would shift down to 2nd, and actually raised the shifter slightly and then it would slide into 1st every time. Use this as a "work around" not a fix - this is an adjustment that needs fixing......

ChrisG
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 10:37 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks everyone for replying.

I don't think its heat related, happened this AM around 9, and it was 70 degrees according to the computer.

I notice it most when I give a soft shift from 2nd to first and it goes to netural. I thought that was my problem, but it happened twice going from 1st to Netural.

I'll try pumping the clutch.

Rolling has definitley "fixed" the 3 times I tried, now I just start in second gear, I almost know when it happens now, so usually not a problem

SInce this Friday is 600 mile. I'll let the dealer know and and let them adjust the linkage.

Also once before, I was adjusting the ESA, when I kind of came to a mildly hard stop, 2 cars cut me off at a stop, and I was down shiftting from 4th to 3rd. WHen I looked at the computer, there was no gear inidcator (the badge was solid, no number). Up shift, 4th was indicated, down shift no indicator. Repeat 3 times. Same thing. Kill bike. Push to side. Start and everything is fine.... This only happened once.

Again thanks everyone.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode