How to embarass yourself in front of Harley folk - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 6:53 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

How to embarass yourself in front of Harley folk

While getting gas near the local Harley shop this morning, a couple of Harley riders walk over and start asking questions about the K1200GT. Typical ESA and "What's that?" (GPS) and radar detector stuff. Nothing special other than "How many ponies you got?"

When I told them they sort'a didn't believe it and asked me to fire it up so they could hear it. Since it was gassed up and I was ready to leave, I obliged.

Then the damn thing wouldn't start!

Key on. BMW Navigator lit up as well as dash.
I checked the sidestand. Up
I check the dash. Neutral.
Clutch in.
Kill switch in middle (run).

What the hell? Bike refuses to start! :wtf

I deployed the sidestand and kicked it up again. Nothing.
Neutral indicator on. Bike rolls.
No starter action at all.

Now someone says, "What'sa matter? Bike won't start?"

I flipped the kill switch a couple of times and then the thing starts. Dunno. Very odd action and not one I want to happen again.

Maybe this is some version 6 error?

Bike behaved normally the rest of the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 6:58 pm
hdf
Maestro de Turismo

I don't know the reasoning behind it, but if you turn the key with the clutch engaged it won't start when you hit the starter button. You have to turn the key off and then back on again (without the clutch engaged) in order for it to start.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 8:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdf
I don't know the reasoning behind it, but if you turn the key with the clutch engaged it won't start when you hit the starter button. You have to turn the key off and then back on again (without the clutch engaged) in order for it to start.
Yes, this is in the owner's manual. I did this quite a few time when I first bought the bike 2 months ago.

Just remember not to touch the clutch before turning on the ignition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 10:53 pm
Addict

Actually, if you're already in gear and pulled the clutch lever before turning on the ignition key, all you have to do is release the clutch lever then pull it back again and it will start. I tried this several times this week and it worked every time.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 12:19 am
WMD

Red face Reading the book

This is just so sad. I have been backing the bike out of the garage every morning and having to release the clutch and grab it again - thinking that the clutch had some air in it and therefore wasn't tripping the permissive to get the starter to engage.
Now I find out - it's supposed to be that way! Feeling really dumb right now.

And I swear I read the book from cover to cover - after I got home :-)
Bill
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 8:48 am
The Gov

My '02 RT had a similar problem with the kill switch, a real PIA, I eventually got mad, took it apart and redressed the contacts. Underneath you will find it's a pretty cheap POS.

I wouldn't be surprised if your is just touchy like mine was. Move it back an forth a couple times and then it would work.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 8:44 pm

In my former life as an electronics technican, I encountered this type of computer control logic regularly. I believe that the computer needs to see a "state change" of the clutch switch before it will let the engine start if the bike is in gear. If you pull in the clutch lever before the ignition is turned on, the computer doesn't see this "state change." Once you release the clutch and pull it in again, the bike will start.

Paul G.
2006 K1200GT (formerly)
2007 Ducati ST3 ABS (now)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 4:31 am
I'm riding

Your bike just did not like the Harley boys :-)))

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 5:07 am
Veteran

i wouldnt worry....its nothing new to them....most likely normal.....notice how that phrase just rolled off there tongue ?..."BIKE WONT START"? ....not dissimilar to "I HAVE AN OIL LEAK"
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 10:18 am
Enthusiast

Happens to them, also. Back in 1988, I had a 1100 Suzuki Katana. My best friend rode a Goldwing. one day he comes by work and starts bad mouthing me about my rice burner jap crap and how I am a big loser on it. I ask, what is up with his shit, and he states "I bought a Harley". We all go outside the station to look at his bike, and he puts on an outstanding performance of running jap crap down. Get's on his new pride and joy, flips me off and pushes the starter. it wouldn't start, and I almost pee'd my pants laughing so hard!

I reminded him how the Goldwing always started.
Of course, this is the same guy I let ride my first BMW and he came back and complained that you can't hear it run. I had to explain to him that was the point.

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode