Wind Resistance - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 12:53 pm Thread Starter

Wind Resistance

Somebody mentioned, in another thread, that they encountered some pretty scary side wind resistance while riding their new K1200GT thorough Montana recently.

I had the same experience several weeks ago, on a trip from NJ to the Canadian Rockies. It was a very windy couple of days, with occasional rain. I was having a terrible time, with the strong winds buffeting me something terrible. It didn't matter what I set the windshield at.

It was so bad, I was having trouble not being choked as the wind pressed my riding gear and helmet against my body. This went on for hours.

After awhile, I noticed that people on bikes passing me going the opposite direction were not having as much of a problem as I was. The damn wind was almost pulling me off the seat!

. . . and then I realized that the gore-tex rain jacket I was wearing had a hood, and the hood was catching the wind, acting like a parachute attached to my neck.

Amazing how much better the GT handles when you don't have a parachute around your neck in the wind!!! <g>

Don Goldberg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 1:36 pm
Addict

"Somebody mentioned, in another thread, that they encountered some pretty scary side wind resistance while riding their new K1200GT thorough Montana recently."

Don, I wrote about it in my KGT long ride report. What I didn't include was that when I got hit it just about blew me across one full lane. If I had been in the wrong place or next to a car it could have been really bad. Unfortunately my timing for the ride couldn't have been worse. A cold front had moved down from Canada and wind gusts were relentless. I was doing 85 mph and wind would come up around the windscreen and try to pull my helmet off! All this plus rain and mid 40 degree temperatures for 550 miles. I've had better rides.

Of course adding a parachute would have certainly made it more interesting.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 4:30 pm
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=dongold
Amazing how much better the GT handles when you don't have a parachute around your neck in the wind!!! <g>

Don Goldberg[/QUOTE]

Now, that a funny story Don !!!! Made my day. Can you imagine what the other on coming traffic was saying as you went by? Hell, I would have just told them, "I intended it that way. I'm just trying to slow this beast to a stop!!!"

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog !"

07 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 4:35 pm Thread Starter

good news bad news

Yeah, the good news about that area is the 75 mph speed limit (translate-->85 mph), but the bad news is that the wind, as you pointed out, can get downright wicked.

Don
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 4:49 pm Thread Starter

There's more

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerDude
Now, that a funny story Don !!!! Made my day. Can you imagine what the other on coming traffic was saying as you went by? Hell, I would have just told them, "I intended it that way. I'm just trying to slow this beast to a stop!!!"
Unfortunately, that wasn't the only funny story on this trip. I had purchased a brand new helmet before leaving for this 8,000 mile round trip. A Nolan 102. Took it out of the box, examined it, and put it back in the box. Nice to have a helmet that's not covered with dings, scratches, smudges on the visor right in front of your eyes, etc.

Got all packed up for the trip. Loaded up the bike, out in my driveway in NJ. Adjusted everything. Double checked nothing forgotten. Suited up. Bent over to pick up my shiny new helmet and, as I started to rise up, the helmet dropped from my hands, and hit the ground.

Where did it hit. Right on the front of the visor, of course!

. . .Two nights later, I'm unloading the gear onto one of those motel trolleys. Made the mistake of hanging the helmet on the hook at the top of the trolley. Turned to pick up another bag off the bike and, you guessed it, BANG! --the helmet hits the ground, again.

Sigh. I wonder what it's like to ride with a helmet that is not all scratched up?

Don
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 6:54 pm

Stealing the Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongold
Unfortunately, that wasn't the only funny story on this trip. I had purchased a brand new helmet before leaving for this 8,000 mile round trip. A Nolan 102.

Don
Don,
I would be most interested on your comments about the Nolan 102, as I am looking for a new helmet. I am especially interested in how quiet it is behind the GT windscreen. Do you wear earplugs with yours?
Thanks,
Jeff
"MitchRider"
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 7:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchRider
Don,
I would be most interested on your comments about the Nolan 102, as I am looking for a new helmet. I am especially interested in how quiet it is behind the GT windscreen. Do you wear earplugs with yours?
Thanks,
Jeff
"MitchRider"
I own one. I also own an Arai Profile. The Nolan has more of a round interior than the Profile. I think that they both have similar noise characteristics. I like the drop shade of the Nolan. THe Arai is lighter.

Brian
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 7:21 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchRider
Don,
Thanks,
Jeff
"MitchRider"

Are you interested in Don's comments before or after he has dropped it and kicked it around alittle??? In other words, pre or post "oh shit"?

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog !"

07 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 9:13 pm

I have the 102...replaced my well-worn 100E. It is just as comfy as the old one, the new opening mechanism and vents are better, BUT it is much louder/more noise. I wear ear plugs on trips, but around town I don't and it's annoying (I've rode ca. 3500 miles with it). The noise changes dramatically with the position of the sun visor, so it may be the cause.
Cheers, Greg
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 8:52 am
Veteran

Thumbs down Nolan N102 Bites

I've riden the last three years in a Nolan N100E Plus that last year I updated with the VPS, external sun visor to replace a "sunblocker". It was ok. I liked the N100E.

Then last October I crashed and wrote off the N100. I spent all winter with a broken leg contemplating the N100's replacement. The Rukka had already been returned to Finland for panel repair/replacement.

I settled on, actually looked forward to the N102 with VPS. So in May I took delivery of a N102. First time I wore it, three hours into a ride, I got a hotspot on my right ear. Hurt so bad, so quickly, I had to stop and give my head/ear a rest before heading home. I chaulked it up to a new helmet and the liner I wear maybe having a wrinkle. WRONG. The hotspot continued. I managed to live with it. Then the chin release, the new one-hand on the centre of the chin bar one started to get a little sticky. By July, it was down right ornery. In fact, riding to the rally in Vermont it stuck and I could not get it to release at all. Imagine that for a moment for a person with claustrophobia. I resolved to talk to folks about it at the rally.

Well, they were about as helpful as a piece of shit. They could have "traded" me on the spot for a new one and that might have been the end of it. They'd have made a happy customer. But no, they were to busy selling what they had on hand (CIMA International) and refused to help me. They expected me to ride it back to Canada, then ship it back to the US for warranty repair. Do you have any idea how difficult that would be?

Another vendor was selling a Schuberth C2 for $430 US. I bought it and shipped the N102 home. I now don the N102 every now and then just to remind myself just how good the C2 is. In comparison, the Nolan is just a cheap piece of junk. I will never buy another. If you can afford a $20K motorcycle, money's not an issue. So if you have the right head shape for a Schuberth, buy one. You won't regret it!

BTW, compared to the C2's internal sunshade, the VPS system on the N102 sucks. It scratches the visor. It flips down at the most inopportune moments, like riding in the dark. And it makes a lot of noise.

Back to the topic. I can ride highway speeds without plugs in the C2. However, I always wear plugs or Etymotic 6i. I find it much more comfortable over the longer distance and I want to preserve what hearing I have left. I think everyone should wear ear protection.

For what it's worth . . . .

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"

Last edited by SKIZIKS; Sep 25th, 2006 at 9:00 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode