May have to sell 07 graphite GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 3:50 pm Thread Starter

May have to sell 07 graphite GT

I agree with most everyones praise of the new GT . I love the weight , balance , the handling , power , ride , it truly is an awesome bike , but my body just does not seem to fit the the riders seating position . I have added the heli bars and lowering pegs , it may be that the seat is cutting the blood flow to my legs . The standard seat is like sitting astride a 2X4 plank , the low seat is some better , more like a 2X6 board . When I rode the LT , I would want to just keep riding , after 2 hours on the GT , I am wanting to get off . Just my opinion after 647 miles .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 4:27 pm
Statmaster

If you've been keeping up with almost every review of the new GT, the #1 complaint is the seat. Aftermarket options from Kontour, Rick Mayer, Bill Mayer, and Russell are probably your best bets at this point.

I still have the stock seat, and have added a beaded seat from Bead Rider that makes it tolerable. Almost 12,000 miles now.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridy
I agree with most everyones praise of the new GT . I love the weight , balance , the handling , power , ride , it truly is an awesome bike , but my body just does not seem to fit the the riders seating position . I have added the heli bars and lowering pegs , it may be that the seat is cutting the blood flow to my legs . The standard seat is like sitting astride a 2X4 plank , the low seat is some better , more like a 2X6 board . When I rode the LT , I would want to just keep riding , after 2 hours on the GT , I am wanting to get off . Just my opinion after 647 miles .
Sent you a PM. Just my opinion. Take a look.

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog !"

07 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 6:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridy
I felt exactly the same for about the first couple thousand miles. I just couldn't seem to get comfortable. I finally realized that it I needed to change the posture that I was trying to ride with. More trunk support and more relaxed grip. Now over 11,000 miles and loving it. Hang in there, it's worth it!
Jeff
"MitchRider"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:59 am

Fridy,

Don't panic. I have the same problems with the seat. Last week I sent the seat off
to Rich's Custom Upholstery for modification. It's due back on wednsday and I will
post a report after a ride. The cost was minimal considering the benefits that may
happen. Not to mention that Rich is a great guy to work with, and his turn around time
is less than a week.

Phil
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 12:25 pm

I use an Airehawk cushion that makes things bearable.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 12:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumaLT
I use an Airehawk cushion that makes things bearable.
the word "bearable" seems ridiculous when talking about this kind of investment
you HAVE to do BETTER THAN THAT
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 12:44 pm
Addict

If you're going to try to stick it out with the stock seat, gel padded bicycle pants made it possible for me to cover approximately 3,200 miles last week.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 1:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by John06KGT
If you're going to try to stick it out with the stock seat, gel padded bicycle pants made it possible for me to cover approximately 3,200 miles last week.
Yeah, but think what that does to your street cred - a new seat is just so much more exciting, AND you get to show it off on this site and make all the other riders jealous
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 1:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
the word "bearable" seems ridiculous when talking about this kind of investment
you HAVE to do BETTER THAN THAT
My thoughts exactly.....why would anyone settle for "bearable" after spending $22,000? I understand this is a K-Bike fan site but when i read posts on other sites the question of riding position problems frequently pops up when referring to the new GT. I think the poster has considerably more problems with this bike than just the seat if he has purchased the bar risers and peg lowers. The geometry is not for everyone's body. This does not make it a bad design, just bad luck for the many who cannot comfortably own this otherwise terrific bike.

It is the one thing that gives me pause when getting the itch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode