Oil Light - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 4:17 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Oil Light

I changed my oil and after a short time the low oil light came on. No problem I need to add a little oil. Now the --- come out and the manual said that it can't read the level.

My question what do I do?

A) Run It until either the check come on or the low oil light comes on

B) Add oil now then run it and see what happens

C) Ride it and forget about the idiot light becasue it has enough oil and it's not going
to hurt the bike.

06 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 4:23 pm

I would make sure that you have enough oil and ride the bike until the dealer can check the sensor.

Brian
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 4:34 pm
Statmaster

Are you measuring by looking at the sight tube or using the dipstick? My dealer did the first change at 600 miles and I had to top it off by the time I got home. Same behavior.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 4:36 pm
This thing needed "K" Power

My dealer told me to check it when it's hot (not cold like every opther bike I've had)

07 K1200GT
Illinois
Back to BMW after all these miles....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 5:35 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassGT
I changed my oil and after a short time the low oil light came on. No problem I need to add a little oil. Now the --- come out and the manual said that it can't read the level.

My question what do I do?

A) Run It until either the check come on or the low oil light comes on

B) Add oil now then run it and see what happens

C) Ride it and forget about the idiot light becasue it has enough oil and it's not going
to hurt the bike.
You need to:
  1. Make sure the engine is at operating temperature.
  2. Be sure the bike is running, is at a standstill and is on level ground.
  3. Wait . . . . it can 30 secs anyway for the sensor to get a read sometimes.

Shortly you'll either get a check mark or an "!". Check mark? You're good to go. Otherwise, stop the engine, remove the seat and read the dipstick. Add as required.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 5:44 pm
Addict

I'm glad that someone else started this one. According to the owner's manual (and yes for the first time I tried to read through manual just to figure out what the LED display was trying to tell me) you should only check the oil when the engine is at operating temperature and after an extended ride. The manual claims that this is necessary because of the dry sump lubricating system. Checking the oil any other time could give an incorrect oil level indication. This is fine if the oil level is ok in the first place! I did learn about the computerized oil level check and that if the LED display shows a check mark next to the word OIL the oil level is fine. The bike must be at a complete stop for the OIL level check function. If you have the ambient temperature displayed prior to coming to a stop, the computer switches to the OIL level check function automatically.

During my road trip last week I tried to check my oil level using the dip stick several times and found it virtually useless. Trying to detemine where the oil is on a black dip stick that is designed so that the oil will wick up the stick is just a pain the ass. So I tried to read the oil level through the clear tube. Not easy either as you don't have a clear line of sight with the tube. So I relied on the computer to let me know if everything was ok or not. The computer system also has a special symbol for low oil level. Fortunately I never saw it pop up. At 4000 miles I was slightly low and I did add 3/4 of a quart so oil consumption seems to nil by comparison to other bikes I've owned. I will change the oil and filter ASAP and after the 6000 miles service I plan on changing it every 3000 miles from now on.

I usually do all of my own maintenance so I called the dealer to order everything I needed to do the oil and filter change. The oil filter is apparently unique to the new KGT and the dealer wants $75.00 for the oil filter wrench. I want to see what a $75.00 oil filter wrench looks like before I buy it! Has anyone else changed their own oil and filter?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 6:14 pm
The Gov

Same here, I actually overfilled mine and had to use a syringe to get some out when I changed my oil. Never use a funnel blindly :banghead In any event, I checked it a couple times, and even with it up to level, it took it a while before it was finally happy and gave me a check mark.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 6:36 pm
Veteran

John, I show a oil filter wrench for the GT on page 22 of my Wunderlich catalog for $16.95 from BMW of Santa Cruz. Part number is 5524017. They also show some magnetic drain plugs too (#8154010 for $8.95). Might want to call them if you can't find a wrench from the local auto parts store.

Fwiw, that oil filter looks to be really short in the photos in the catalog!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 6:49 pm
Addict

Gmack, thanks for tip on the filter wrench. I'll give Santa Cruz BMW a call next week to confirm. I can stop in on my way back to Portland from Hollister on Nov. 18th. If they can do it while I wait I'll just let them do my oil and filter change too and save me the hassle of a "Parking Lot" oil change.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 6:55 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Here is my update on my oil. As I started yesterday on my way to DRG I meet to guys in Hartford 80 miles away but still no reading on my oil level. Next time we stoped we were in Western NJ almost in Penn. I checked and my oil level has the check mark. I know tech is great but some time is just makes me wonder what the hell is going on.

Oh by the way we made it to Roanoke Va and did almost 700 highway miles for the day.

Today we will hit the Blue Ridge Parkway and put the new GT and my PP to the test.

06 K1200 GT deep blue metallic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode