Revisiting the Oil Issue - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 9:16 pm Thread Starter

Revisiting the Oil Issue

Here we go...

I was looking over the maintenance items for the GT. - specifically the oil and just wanted to get a few things clarified.

1) The shop manual recommends Castrol GPS - this is a synthetic and I thought that a pure synthetic wasn't supposed to be used until after ~ 12k miles

2) 5400 miles seems like a ling time from the 600 mi service and the 6k service to change the oil. I don't let my cars go more than 3k and have always changed my bikes at 3k.

3) How are you guys getting the filter off without getting involved in the tupperware? It looks like a real tight fit.

4) Is the oil filter a BMW only part or is there another available?

Thanks,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 9:07 pm Thread Starter

No one?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnblazer
Here we go...

I was looking over the maintenance items for the GT. - specifically the oil and just wanted to get a few things clarified.

1) The shop manual recommends Castrol GPS - this is a synthetic and I thought that a pure synthetic wasn't supposed to be used until after ~ 12k miles

2) 5400 miles seems like a ling time from the 600 mi service and the 6k service to change the oil. I don't let my cars go more than 3k and have always changed my bikes at 3k.

3) How are you guys getting the filter off without getting involved in the tupperware? It looks like a real tight fit.

4) Is the oil filter a BMW only part or is there another available?

Thanks,
Brian
I also thought a synthetic oil should not be put in until there was 12 k on the bike.
I change my oil every 3k. Once synthetic is in I will change every 6k.

I got the filter off by removing one tuperware screw, the most posterior bottom screw on the left side. I then took a normal oil filter wrench and ground down the thickness of the ring portion so the wrench would fit between the filter and the shift assembly and then be placed on the filter. Worked well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 11:28 pm
Telepathetic

I had the dealer put syn oil in at the 6K service. I now have 10K. I have yet to pull the tupperware so I don't know if my old LT filter wrench will work or not. I have a cheap set of oil filter pliers just as a back up. I'm still undecided about when I will change the oil next. Might do it next month just to get under the plastic and see what is under there.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 3:37 am
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnblazer
Here we go...

Thanks,
Brian
Use any long screwdriver - brutal but efficient. All in all you do not need that filter any more.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode