Another Seat Post - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 7:17 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Question Another Seat Post

When I first got the motorcycle I had the seat in the low position. I rode like that for a few weeks, then put it in the high position. Been riding in the high position for a couple of months now. Put the seat back into the low position, it fits very loosely like it's not completely locked in. You can lift both the front and rear seats and move them around an inch or so. Tight fit in high position, loose in low position. I've looked at it, riding buddy's have looked at it, dealership owner's looked at it. We took a normal fitting seat off a motorcycle in the showroom and it fit fine in the high position of my motorcycle, but loose in the low position just like mine does. Nobody can figure out what the problem might be. Everything appears tight on the seats and at the mounting points on the motorcycle. Anybody have experience with this type of problem? It goes in to service on Saturday to see if they can figure it out.

Mike
'06 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 8:09 am

Are you putting the rear seat in the correct position? My bike's 1k miles from me right now, so I'm doing it from memory. There is a tap that points to the rear on the drivers seat. The passenger seat can be position around that tab two ways. One is an alignment hole, the other is totally over the tab. I can't remember which is for high, and which is for low, but if you do it wrong, it will be loose.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 8:17 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Yep, tried that. It's not something that simple. Everybody from me to my riding partners to the dealership owner have spent quite a bit of time trying to figure this out. A lot of motorcycle experience between all of us, but still no solution. This is the 6th BMW motorcycle I've owned, with other brands in between, and I've not seen this type of problem before.

Mike
'06 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 9:32 am

I had a R1200RT from new that had a collapsing seat. The seat was too short to sit itself in the rear mounts and from the high postion it would just slip forward and drop down to the lower rear lug causing the seat to bend.

We tried the seat on another RT and it fitted just fine.

The only conclusion was that the frame mounting for the seat supports were in the wrong place from the factory and despite using any available adjustment I sold the bike back to BMW and got another. (Lemon)

not the same problem but ......

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 9:37 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply Steve, but no not quite the same problem. From what I can tell, the GT seat has only one mounting point in the rear locking system. This is unlike my RS which had two, one for upper and one for lower. Still pondering.

Mike
'06 GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode