rear gear lube... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 3:36 pm Thread Starter

rear drive fluid choices..

I've read a few different reccomendations for rear drive lube. 75w90 GL5, BMW 75w140 synthetic, and 75w90 mobil 1. What are your thoughts on this.

What do you think about using 75w90 Mobil 1 gear lube instead of BMW GL5 90 weight gear lube?

Thanks

Matt

Last edited by mattmor; Sep 25th, 2006 at 4:40 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 11:34 am
Veteran

Ya know, seriously I don't even think BMW knows what oil to use.

I remember on the '96 R110RT they recommended 75-90. Then when the finals started crapping out the dealers began selling 75-140 weight. Some even blended 75-90 and 75-140. I did it too as I didn't know what to add, maybe a little moly paste too.

Then came the percentage arguments for the amount of Dow Corning Gear Guard to add (to petroleum based oil only).

Now on the GT they begin by recommending synthetic Castrol 75-90. So now the dealers sell BMW 75-140. At first it was lifetime lubricated. Two months later it isn't. Well Duh!

It was the same story on the clutch and driveline splines. Didn't need it as they are lifetime lubricated (by clutch dust?). Maybe they do. Some were lubricated from the factory. Some RT'S appear they weren't as they were bone dry and chewed up the splines.

Who knows?

Fwiw, I used some Amsoil synthetic in the final. It was 75-90 weight, GL-5 rated for $10.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 3:37 pm
Enthusiast

I asked my dealer what to put in mine, he had no answer. I went with BMW 75-140W full syn. It's a pretty red color!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 5:10 pm
Addict

I have a 2006 model and I just sent an email to my dealer's service department asking if they did the final drive change during the 600 mile service earlier this month. If the service department tells me they didn't I'm not going to take any chances especially after reading the service bulletin on the final drive lubricant change. I'll have it done as soon as possible. I have over 4000 miles already (in just 6 weeks) so based on the bulletin the damage may already be done.

I also sympathize with the "what final drive lubricant should I use" questions. For my K11LT I was told 75-90 hypoid. Then I was told to use 75-(something) synthetic. When I got conflicting information I went back to the service department three times just to make sure that the synthetic was not only ok but the best lube for the final drive and was told go with the synthetic. I'll find out what my dealer recommends for the KGT final drive when I know.

Cheers!
John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode