Tires, Tires, Tires, I'm so tired! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 8:56 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Tires, Tires, Tires, I'm so tired!

Ok, to pick up where I left off on a previous thread, what's the current concensus for replacement tires? On previous machines, including my Ducati, I've tried Avon, Pirelli, Dunlop, Metzeler and Michelin. Personally I like the Michelin Pilot Sport the best so far. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of tire life by make and model on the GT?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 9:05 pm

I am running the Z6's. At 4500 miles I figure that I am about 2/3 of the way through the rear and 1.2 done with the front. Of all the tires that I have used on other bikes, these are the least affected by rain grooves, steel grid decks and other "catchers" like that. I would say that the wear is average.

On thing that I think needs to be kept in mind is that we have a very powerful engine on this bike. This can, in my mind, add to some increased tire wear.

Brian
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 9:09 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnblazer
I am running the Z6's. At 4500 miles I figure that I am about 2/3 of the way through the rear and 1.2 done with the front.

Brian
What is the profile on the front Z-6?

Round, or triangular like the Pilot Sport's were?

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 9:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shook sez
What is the profile on the front Z-6?

Round, or triangular like the Pilot Sport's were?
I believe round.

Brian
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 7:18 am

I'm still on the stock Z6's, with about 3k miles. Plenty of tread left but, Both the front and rear are cupping pretty bad. Handling has been good, and no grip issues. But, if the cupping gets any worse I'll be swapping them out. Anyone else notice this.

Running 34/40 lbs pressure.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 8:02 am
Addict

i ran z6's on my 2003 RS and always, always got over 9k miles on the rear and a little over 10 on the front. since i was satisfied with the mileage and performance of the z6 i never bothered to try any other tire. i'm running pilot powers on my "S" and while the mileage was acceptable, 7500, i've never been happy with performance. sometimes the tires stick like glue and sometimes the tire feels like it's going to slide out from underneath me. i just ordered a set of conti road attacks hopefully they'll perform better if not i'll go with the z6's again.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 8:50 am
Statmaster

I've been through one set of Z6s and two sets of Avons in the 12K on my GT. I will probably go to the BT020 next.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 9:35 am
Addict

It's less about the tire

and more about how you drive. I went through Z6s, RAs and currently have a set of Pirelli Corsa IIIs on the bike. I have a set of Avon Vipers ready to be mounted when these wear out.

I think if you drive fast and corner hard the tires will wear quickly.
When the Road Attacks went in about 3000 miles, I was convinced it was me, not the bike and not the tire.

I'm ok with that because I have a shit eating grin on my face that won't go away.

Cheers,

Gravity
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 9:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC
I'm still on the stock Z6's, with about 3k miles. Plenty of tread left but, Both the front and rear are cupping pretty bad. Handling has been good, and no grip issues. But, if the cupping gets any worse I'll be swapping them out. Anyone else notice this.

Running 34/40 lbs pressure.
I changed my rear Z6 at 3K 'cause I was going on a 3500 mile trip... and on my RT, at 6K the tire was to the cord. In retrospect however, I'm not sure I needed to. BMW has spec'd an OEM Z6 that is a different load range than the standard Z6 which of course costs more ... but based on what the rear now looks like on the GT vs. my past experience with two sets of Z6's on my RT - it is lasting a lot longer than a standard Z6.

The front has a definite flat spot at almost 7K, no cupping at all and pleanty of tread. The rear has no cupping at all and very little flat spot. I'm running 37/42 pressure, ride solo and apparently don't ride hard enough...

IBA 18417
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 11:22 am
Rookie

Michelin's Still Running Well

I started with and discarded the BT020s as soon as possible. I would have mounted Z6s for my long tour, but they weren't available at the time, so I mounted the Pilots. 6000 miles so far, plenty of tread left, no cupping at all. I used the Z6s on my LT and loved 'em, but I'm going to be hard pressed to replace these with anything other than another set of Pilots.

36/42 as recommended by service techs and manual.

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 HD Dyna-Glide

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode