07 Gt service issues... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 9:27 am Thread Starter

07 Gt service issues...

I called my local dealer about the "lifetime" fill in the final drive. We as everyone has noted that it must be serviced at the first service. Supposedly you then don't have to do it again. In the dealer bulletin BMWNA says to replace the nut on the paralever and the o-ring on the speed sensor. However, these items are on back order. I guess I'll just wait to do the service or do the service then replace the nut on the paralever torque arm.

Also, I'm not sure what software version is in my bike. The dealer claims they haven't been able to hook the computer up to any of the bike with the new Teves brakes. They were told there is a patch from BMWNA coming out sometime this week. Anyone else heard of this on 07's?

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 11:06 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmor
I called my local dealer about the "lifetime" fill in the final drive. We as everyone has noted that it must be serviced at the first service. Supposedly you then don't have to do it again. In the dealer bulletin BMWNA says to replace the nut on the paralever and the o-ring on the speed sensor. However, these items are on back order. I guess I'll just wait to do the service or do the service then replace the nut on the paralever torque arm.
I did mine and just used some blue Loctite on reassembly of the torque arm and just torqued it down.

Didn't replace the O-ring on either the speed sensor or the rearward facing drain plug either. I thought the idea of the O-ring was so it could be reused, unless BMW changed the dimensions on either? I reused that RT rubber valve cover gasket so many times that it should have leaked in 100K miles but never did.

I did wipe a little Honda Driveline moly grease on the O-ring just to slip it back in. No leaks...yet!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 11:12 am

Quote:

Also, I'm not sure what software version is in my bike. The dealer claims they haven't been able to hook the computer up to any of the bike with the new Teves brakes. They were told there is a patch from BMWNA coming out sometime this week. Anyone else heard of this on 07's?

Matt
hmmmm
i'm going on a 2-up trip with the wife this weekend.... will have well over 1,200 miles on the bike when i get back.... and will need that first service right away.... i have the ONLY '07 from my dealer so far.
i'm anxious to see what happens when they try to service my bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 11:17 am Thread Starter

Did you fill the final drive through the rearward facing drain or the speed sensor. If the speed sensor - please give me a quick run down of removal/replacement and did you use a syringe? It seems that the rear rotor should come off to access the speed sensor - correct? Or do you just sneak it out through the slots in the rotor? Thanks for your help.

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
I did mine and just used some blue Loctite on reassembly of the torque arm and just torqued it down.

Didn't replace the O-ring on either the speed sensor or the rearward facing drain plug either. I thought the idea of the O-ring was so it could be reused, unless BMW changed the dimensions on either? I reused that RT rubber valve cover gasket so many times that it should have leaked in 100K miles but never did.

I did wipe a little Honda Driveline moly grease on the O-ring just to slip it back in. No leaks...yet!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 11:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
hmmmm
i'm going on a 2-up trip with the wife this weekend.... will have well over 1,200 miles on the bike when i get back.... and will need that first service right away.... i have the ONLY '07 from my dealer so far.
i'm anxious to see what happens when they try to service my bike
Just curious, where are you riding to this weekend?

Greg S.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 12:41 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Did you fill the final drive through the rearward facing drain or the speed sensor. If the speed sensor - please give me a quick run down of removal/replacement and did you use a syringe? It seems that the rear rotor should come off to access the speed sensor - correct? Or do you just sneak it out through the slots in the rotor? Thanks for your help.
There is no room to snake a hose into the final through either hole as the crown gear is right there. I used the speed sensor hole for the filling part. It comes off without needing to remove the rotor, you just need to rotate it a bit to get access to the screw and other one that holds the sensor wire in place. All can be done through the rotor cutouts.

There is a recent post on the site of a successful drain where you do not have to remove the brake caliper either, just leave it alone and let it swing down along with the final. He removed the boot and got the thing to disconnect from the driveline and final so his pointed straight down to drain. I didn't get it to break free so I could get the drain plug down to maybe a 4:30 position instead of 6 o'clock. As a result, I flushed mine a bunch of times with some old Mobile 1 I had in a bottle. I just put a small vinyl hose onto the top of the bottle and squirted it into the speed sensor hole. The side of the Mobile 1 bottle had the quantity markings on it so I could get an idea as to how much to add. I think I flushed it with around 150cc each time and did the final fill until it was level with the hole in the normal resting position.

You don't need to remove the large black plastic decorative cover either nor bother the lower final drive bearing linkage. The final isn't that heavy and I could swing it with one finger through the rotor (although it has really sharp edges!). There was some really heavy white silicone grease packed onto the front and back of the rubber boot to keep the dust and water out. It looks similar to the heat sink grease at Radio Shack. I had some clear Dow vacuum silicone grease that I used instead.

Oh, I ended up pulling the whole muffler off since there is only one bolt holding it near the middle and the one clamp at the front. It wasn't that much to take it all off to get the wheel off. I ended up coating the front one and the union of the pipe to the muffler with some Permatex anti-sieze grease just in case I ever need to break it apart down the road. The front clamp was already showing some corrosion and rust.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode