Mayers Seat Report - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 7:52 pm Thread Starter

Mayers Seat Report

Spent the day at a drive in appt. at Bill Mayers seats. Several fittings, 3 test rides and
6 hours later this is the result. The "end" product is great. I almost cancelled as I didn't think my stock seat was that bad. Boy was I wrong! This is by far the most comfortable saddle I have ever sat on on a motorcycle (or a horse). I chose a marine vinyl cover as it is much higher quality than stock and has no water issues. The rear seat was recovered to match.
The heater still works fine.....no more sliding forward........in the several hundred miles since I love it.
This is a modification that made a huge difference. I am only sorry I never did this to my many previous bikes. If only he did horses

P.S. The vinyl has a nice leather grain that did not show up on these flash pics.

Last edited by NOMODOC 22; Sep 26th, 2006 at 10:54 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 8:43 pm
Addict

All I can say is wow! Congratulations. You're seats look great and the contour looks perfect. How's it compare to the stock seat for planting your feet at stops?

Someone asked me today about how my comfortable my long distance trip was last week and I told them the seat felt like I was sitting on a 2X4 edgewise.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Enthusiast

Looks really great and has to be an improvement to the stocker.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 9:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John06KGT
All I can say is wow! Congratulations. You're seats look great and the contour looks perfect. How's it compare to the stock seat for planting your feet at stops?

The seat is in the low position in the photos. it also works great set high. As it is somewhat wider under the thighs it is now slightly harder to flat foot. I keep it set low around town and move to high on long trips for more peg to knee room.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 10:04 pm
Addict

Thanks for the information. I've have the CGM KGT also and can't believe how good the seats look on your bike. Great pictures too! The seat design looks absolutely perfect for a "GT" machine. Just fantastic.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 10:38 pm

That is really nice work. Exactly what I wanted to see before I placed my order.

Did they mention how many GTs they have done?

Thanks again,
Brian
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 10:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnblazer
That is really nice work. Exactly what I wanted to see before I placed my order.

Did they mention how many GTs they have done?

Thanks again,
Brian
Bill has an 06 K122GT himself and has done plenty. See his web-site. Too bad you can't have the personal fitting of a drive in as both of us there that day loved our seats and the chance to select covers and other details.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 11:14 pm
Enthusiast

Seat Material

NOMO
The seat looks absolutely terrific. Can you tell me what made you decide to go with the Marine vinyl versus leather. I am getting ready to send my seat in to Bill and had pretty much decided on leather.
thanks in advance
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:09 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricbob
NOMO
The seat looks absolutely terrific. Can you tell me what made you decide to go with the Marine vinyl versus leather. I am getting ready to send my seat in to Bill and had pretty much decided on leather.
thanks in advance
As I said vinyl has no problem with water while the leather requires bi-monthly conditioners and special care when wet. If you could handle this stuff you would find it less slippery as well. Cheaper than leather and way better than stock. Also how many vinyl seats have you ever worn out ? Believe me money was not a factor. Both me and the other guy (FJR 1200)
preferred the vinyl.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 7:40 am
Veteran

I had them do mine in leather since I cannot stand sitting on a hot seat when the temps rise to the point where I get the soggy bottoms on the pants (if you know what I mean!). The conditioner isn't that big of a deal, just dump some on your hand and rub it in. It remains cooler in the sun which is good.

However, leather has those wrinkles that add character - or so they say. Just something to be aware of. And leather has a grain that may flow in a different direction than how you may think it should look on the bike. The sliding was noticeable at first, but now has subsided to the point I don't notice it.

One major complaint is that my heater almost seems non-exisitant since the recover. It used to get too hot to the point I would need to turn it down. Now it seems it doesn't get hot enough. I think it's buried deeper in the seat under the thin cover foam, or maybe due to the leather itself? Dunno, but HIGH seems more like LOW now.

Overall, I would call the seat a 30% improvement in comfort over the stocker coming off a "Russell Day-Long" velour-topped seat which I would put at a 100% improvement in comfort. Now that was a comfy seat and I wish I had it back! It was wider than the Mayer and gave more butt and thigh support at the expense of making it harder to flat foot on the ground, but I got used to it fast since the comfort factor made it so much better. Just too bad they take so damn long on their wait list...like months!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode