BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

The jumpy throttle showdown is this Saturday

4K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  GregC 
#1 ·
I have an 06 GT that has the low speed bucking and general instability issues. I feel that it is a tremendous safety issue. If you ever tried to split lanes and you do not know what the throttle is going to do from one minute to the next it can make for a dangerous situation.

I also just experienced for the first time a runaway throttle in both directions. One time it went to 2k and it took me a few twist of the grip to settle down. This happened while I was downshifting and heading into a turn. Another time the rpms cut completely off in a turn. I have an appointment this Saturday with the dealer. I am hoping that I do not get the same run around that others on this web site have gotten.

Is there any supporting documentation that I can hand the dealer to get them to upload me to 7.0? Or does 7.0 even fix this issue? When I contacted the dealer to set the appointment they were already trying to prep me for the no update necessary party line. I will let them do their thing but I will not pay for it. I just want the problem solved, I do not care what they have to do or what it cost them. If it is a sensor, cable or software just get er done!

Rich H

#2 ·
My throttle never jumps, up, but it has a nasty habit of cutting off while trying to roll-off. It's not consistent, but it does seem to go in streaks. When it's acting up it's very difficult to modulate the throttle going into a turn, and impossible to hold a stead speed going down hill. Even the cruise can't negotiate the throttle while going down a long grade. It bucks and lurches as it hits the magic cut-off point during a roll-off.

Supposedly my bike was upgraded to 7.0. I say supposedly because the dealer screwed up the first time, and it ran like total crap, so they did it again. I don't have a lot of confidence it actually has 7.0(will bring to another dealer soon). After the upgrade it ran pretty good for the first 500 miles. Then it started acting just like before I brought it in(described above). I can't find any pattern to when it does/doesn't act up. If there is no fix I'll be bailing out of the bike. It's really not rideable when it's acting up.

Let us know how you make out. It'll be a few more weeks before I can get mine to a dealer.

#3 ·
re JohnC

Sounds exactly like my bike, although the events are few and far between (no hills in Northern Illinois :) . I'm not going for 7.0 at this time, but I have had several scary moments when the throttle bucked either going downhill on closing throttle or just slowing on closing throttle for a corner, very 'exciting' in the rain!

#4 ·
Sounds like my bike also... see more at High Idle trend.

Took my bike to dealer Tuesday, computer show Oxygen sensor fault... I talked to a friend of mine that is a car machanic, he said not the oxygen sensor, probably "throudle body"... He said it it is the oxygen sensor, your fuel millege will be really bad... I got over 40mpg...

Dealer don't have the part, will let me know when they get one next week. I will let you know more when I get mine repalce.

#5 ·
I'm guessing your friend is right, it's not the O2 sensor. Like he said, a bad O2 sensor usually yields bad mileage. But, hopefully your BMW mechanic is right, and it gets fixed. The first time!

I don't think your GT has the same issues as mine, but who knows? No idle issues on my bike, and throttle modulation below 3k RPMs is pretty smooth. All my throttle on/off issues are above 3,500 rpms. Mine feels like it has a bad spot in the TPS, but not really that either. Throttle roll-on is very smooth. But, there's a point when rolling-off that the throttle just shuts-down. If you hold the throttle right in that bad spot you get a nice bucking motion as the engine has a turn-on/turn-off sensation. If it was a bad TPS I would expect the problem to be more consistent. Some times it runs fine for hours, others not so much.

Try doing The Dragon when you can't reliably modulate your throttle. It took a lot of the fun out when we were there a couple weeks ago. Luckily I made one pass while it was working well. Fantastic roads :) Bad throttle :(

#6 ·
Hey! I found your solution!

"BMW has addressed this issue. Have your dealer look at service bulletin 1300204(057) The engine control computer will need to be replaced."

It's on the A&S website here. It's the third item, "K1200GT fluctuating idle."

Now tell you dealer to get on the stick and read their damn service bulletins!

#8 ·
JohnC said:
I'm guessing your friend is right, it's not the O2 sensor. Like he said, a bad O2 sensor usually yields bad mileage. But, hopefully your BMW mechanic is right, and it gets fixed. The first time!

I don't think your GT has the same issues as mine, but who knows? No idle issues on my bike, and throttle modulation below 3k RPMs is pretty smooth. All my throttle on/off issues are above 3,500 rpms. Mine feels like it has a bad spot in the TPS, but not really that either. Throttle roll-on is very smooth. But, there's a point when rolling-off that the throttle just shuts-down. If you hold the throttle right in that bad spot you get a nice bucking motion as the engine has a turn-on/turn-off sensation. If it was a bad TPS I would expect the problem to be more consistent. Some times it runs fine for hours, others not so much.

Try doing The Dragon when you can't reliably modulate your throttle. It took a lot of the fun out when we were there a couple weeks ago. Luckily I made one pass while it was working well. Fantastic roads :) Bad throttle :(
Thanks! I will print this out and bring to my dealer this weekend.

By the way... My bike does all kind of funny idling... :confused: :confused: :confused:

1) Stall > once in a while, it will stall when I down shift to come to a turn or stop. Bike is hard to start up without giving gas and hold on to the throttle to keep the engine going...

2) High Idling > Bike will start to idling around 1800-2000 rpm. This is very obvious when you are riding in the city and stop at the light. If you are in the twisty, this will make each turns very very dangerous...

3) RPM stay up and come down slowly > Idling seem fine but when you rpm you engine to any rpm, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 and so on... RPM will stay there for 1/2 to 1 second before coming down slower than normal... This might be what you experience... I have ride with my wife on the back and notice the bike rode very funny in twisty... later found out it was the rpm stay up there for a while before coming down... Make shifting worst than beginer!

I think we (06 k12gt and up) all the similiar kind of throttle problem... Hopefully, this is the fix for our problem... if not, BMW better come up solution quick... This is very dangerous!!!

#9 ·
GMack said:

"BMW has addressed this issue. Have your dealer look at service bulletin 1300204(057) The engine control computer will need to be replaced."

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 ·
Hi
It seems i'm not alone with these problems, my bikes in at the dealers now hopefully getting fixed . If i get her back for the weekend trip away and the problems are cured i'll let you all know what work they have done.

Tim

#11 ·
GMack said:

WHOA!!!! Big fella, you should check the details before making such broad and sweeping statements. You're sending people off on a wild goose chase.

I checked the link you posted and the trouble discussed is obviously on the first generation GT, not an '06 or '07. The poster makes specific reference to the direct similarities his bike has to the "RS".

I quote: This seemed pretty suspicious to me, as my understanding is that the RS and GT are identical at that level, and I would think that any issue that had been solved in the RS could either immediately or with very little effort be used in the GT.

So, please check your sources and let's keep the misinformation duties in the Executive Office.

#12 ·
SKIZIKS said:
WHOA!!!! Big fella, you should check the details before making such broad and sweeping statements. You're sending people off on a wild goose chase.

I checked the link you posted and the trouble discussed is obviously on the first generation GT, not an '06 or '07. The poster makes specific reference to the direct similarities his bike has to the "RS".

I quote: This seemed pretty suspicious to me, as my understanding is that the RS and GT are identical at that level, and I would think that any issue that had been solved in the RS could either immediately or with very little effort be used in the GT.

So, please check your sources and let's keep the misinformation duties in the Executive Office.
Sorry, but it really doesn't say what year it is. It says he bought it "New, not used, last May" (but of when?). The last year of production for the K1200GT-1 was the '04 model, no? Would any '04 GT-1's still be sitting on the showroom floor for well over a year to May of '06?

Dunno, but it could still be the service bulletin mentioned since it acts much as what is still occurring on the OP's bike.

Time will tell. It still could be the computer as mentioned in the article so I wouldn't call it a "Wild Goose Chase." More of a possible cure that no one seems be addressing.

Aside, I've never been a big fan of A&S Cycles, but at least someone is relaying information from the service department to the customers. Wish BMW-NA would be a little more open in there customer service area like Toyota where you can buy the service manuals and bulletins off their Tech site. I'll give a thumbs up to Tim at A&S for this one.

#14 ·
I got it done 7.0

Well,

I went to the dealer and let them know the problems that I had. I started to tell them about the information I have gained from this forum and the Service Manager stopped me. She did not want any second had information from an internet forum. I was pissed but I decided to let them have a look with out my information.

The mechanic took it for a test ride, hooked it up to the computer, researched the BMW website and service bulletins and....upgraded to 7.0. This was all covered under warranty. The ride home was the smooth and uneventful. A very smooth and controlled feeling in the low gears, no problems on the downshifts and plenty of helmet snapping power.

The service manger was a bit rude but I can understand. I troubleshoot and program VOIP equipment for a living and I know that I do not like an "off the street know it all". My service experience overall was Terrific and I will do all my BMW business there.
My b
BMW dealer is Marin BMW in San Rafael CA.

Safe Riding
GT Hack

#15 ·
GTHack said:
Well,

I went to the dealer and let them know the problems that I had. I started to tell them about the information I have gained from this forum and the Service Manager stopped me. She did not want any second had information from an internet forum. I was pissed but I decided to let them have a look with out my information.

The mechanic took it for a test ride, hooked it up to the computer, researched the BMW website and service bulletins and....upgraded to 7.0. This was all covered under warranty. The ride home was the smooth and uneventful. A very smooth and controlled feeling in the low gears, no problems on the downshifts and plenty of helmet snapping power.

The service manger was a bit rude but I can understand. I troubleshoot and program VOIP equipment for a living and I know that I do not like an "off the street know it all". My service experience overall was Terrific and I will do all my BMW business there.
My b
BMW dealer is Marin BMW in San Rafael CA.

Safe Riding
GT Hack

My dealer was nice and polite, listen to me and wrote down in the work order. Before I left the bike with them and go back to work, told me that if they can't repeat the problem, I am responsible to 1 hour of labor ($77).

Call me a few hours later and told me that the computer show fault with oxygen sensor, but they don't have the part and have to wait for a week for the sensor. They didn't said if they saw the idling problem or not. When I pick up the bike from them that same evening, I ask to see if they upgrade my software to 7, they just said my software is current, whatever that means.

I am still waiting for them to call me once they received the oxygen sensor, and schedule a time to go back again.

From what I gather (from mechanic friends and from this forum), oxygen sensor doesn't cause idling problem ... I don't know how many time I have to go back to get this problem fix...

Wondering if anyone else really got this problem fix, and what cause the problem?

#16 ·

From what I gather most of the bikes that have the 7.0 seem to have no more problems with the low speed bucking etc. I do not know what causes it but I am happy so far with the fix.. I wonder how you can tell if you have 7.0 or not. Is it on the display somewhere or do you just trust the dealer?

#17 ·
I too wonder if there is a way to soft trigger the display to demo the version - I have a few cars that I can do that with by holding a combination of buttons during a cold start.

#18 ·
GTHack said:
From what I gather most of the bikes that have the 7.0 seem to have no more problems with the low speed bucking etc. I do not know what causes it but I am happy so far with the fix.. I wonder how you can tell if you have 7.0 or not. Is it on the display somewhere or do you just trust the dealer?
Hi,

I read your original post, looks like our bike have the same problem. My bike drive smooth all the time, except when the idling problem start after the engine heat up (like after a 100 miles ride).

Has yours ever stall when down shifting to make slow turn? Like going into gas station? Mine does.

Has your rpm ever stay up for 1/2 second or so before coming down?

Idle at 1800rpm or so?

Thanks.

#19 ·
LA-K12GT said:
Hi,

I read your original post, looks like our bike have the same problem. My bike drive smooth all the time, except when the idling problem start after the engine heat up (like after a 100 miles ride).

Has yours ever stall when down shifting to make slow turn? Like going into gas station? Mine does.

Has your rpm ever stay up for 1/2 second or so before coming down?

Idle at 1800rpm or so?

Thanks.
You are correct. My bike did have these very symptoms. I have no low speed bucking. I have not had the high idle come back yet. I have not gone on any long rides.

#20 ·
GTHack said:
You are correct. My bike did have these very symptoms. I have no low speed bucking. I have not had the high idle come back yet. I have not gone on any long rides.
Thanks.

Let me know how the 7.0 goes for you. I have heard from some that 7.0 doesn't fix the problem for them.

#21 ·
LA - Are you still going to the same dealer we all suggested you stop going to a month ago?? You really, really need to find one that does service, not BS. When you ask what version of the software you have, if they cannot or will not answer you, find another dealer...fast.
OK?
Cheers, Greg

#22 ·
GregC said:
LA - Are you still going to the same dealer we all suggested you stop going to a month ago?? You really, really need to find one that does service, not BS. When you ask what version of the software you have, if they cannot or will not answer you, find another dealer...fast.
OK?
Cheers, Greg
Yes. Same dealer so far. First time I brought my bike in was without appointment, they hook it up to computer but everything came out fine. Second time was last Tuesday, computer detect a defective oxygen sensor, waiting for part currently, take about a week. I want to wait till oxygen sensor is replace and see what happen... I know they are kind of strange not telling me what version I got on the bike... But at least they are willing to try to fix it...

If I continue to have same problem after replacing the oxygen sensor, I will move on to the next dealer. The dealer is the closest to my home and work. Next dealer is quite a way away...

The dealer all around my area take a least 2 weeks of appointment. Kind of sucks.

Thanks for your good advice.

#23 ·
get the update

i had the new software installed and it helped dramatically. my service guy said he adjusted the engine braking to smooth out the low end and jumpy throttle. it worked. i hated having to brace myself when shifting.

my only complaint now is a flat spot that lives right around 4000 rmp. it used to live at 3000rpm but he moved it up in the powerband when making adjustments. it bugs me because it seems to exist right where the bike feels best be when cruising.

anyway, it's a much nicer ride since getting the new software.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.