The jumpy throttle showdown is this Saturday - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 3:27 pm Thread Starter

The jumpy throttle showdown is this Saturday

I have an 06 GT that has the low speed bucking and general instability issues. I feel that it is a tremendous safety issue. If you ever tried to split lanes and you do not know what the throttle is going to do from one minute to the next it can make for a dangerous situation.

I also just experienced for the first time a runaway throttle in both directions. One time it went to 2k and it took me a few twist of the grip to settle down. This happened while I was downshifting and heading into a turn. Another time the rpms cut completely off in a turn. I have an appointment this Saturday with the dealer. I am hoping that I do not get the same run around that others on this web site have gotten.

Is there any supporting documentation that I can hand the dealer to get them to upload me to 7.0? Or does 7.0 even fix this issue? When I contacted the dealer to set the appointment they were already trying to prep me for the no update necessary party line. I will let them do their thing but I will not pay for it. I just want the problem solved, I do not care what they have to do or what it cost them. If it is a sensor, cable or software just get er done!

Rich H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 6:30 pm

My throttle never jumps, up, but it has a nasty habit of cutting off while trying to roll-off. It's not consistent, but it does seem to go in streaks. When it's acting up it's very difficult to modulate the throttle going into a turn, and impossible to hold a stead speed going down hill. Even the cruise can't negotiate the throttle while going down a long grade. It bucks and lurches as it hits the magic cut-off point during a roll-off.

Supposedly my bike was upgraded to 7.0. I say supposedly because the dealer screwed up the first time, and it ran like total crap, so they did it again. I don't have a lot of confidence it actually has 7.0(will bring to another dealer soon). After the upgrade it ran pretty good for the first 500 miles. Then it started acting just like before I brought it in(described above). I can't find any pattern to when it does/doesn't act up. If there is no fix I'll be bailing out of the bike. It's really not rideable when it's acting up.

Let us know how you make out. It'll be a few more weeks before I can get mine to a dealer.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 1:35 pm
Enthusiast

re JohnC

Sounds exactly like my bike, although the events are few and far between (no hills in Northern Illinois . I'm not going for 7.0 at this time, but I have had several scary moments when the throttle bucked either going downhill on closing throttle or just slowing on closing throttle for a corner, very 'exciting' in the rain!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 6:22 pm

Sounds like my bike also... see more at High Idle trend.

Took my bike to dealer Tuesday, computer show Oxygen sensor fault... I talked to a friend of mine that is a car machanic, he said not the oxygen sensor, probably "throudle body"... He said it it is the oxygen sensor, your fuel millege will be really bad... I got over 40mpg...

Dealer don't have the part, will let me know when they get one next week. I will let you know more when I get mine repalce.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 6:49 pm

I'm guessing your friend is right, it's not the O2 sensor. Like he said, a bad O2 sensor usually yields bad mileage. But, hopefully your BMW mechanic is right, and it gets fixed. The first time!

I don't think your GT has the same issues as mine, but who knows? No idle issues on my bike, and throttle modulation below 3k RPMs is pretty smooth. All my throttle on/off issues are above 3,500 rpms. Mine feels like it has a bad spot in the TPS, but not really that either. Throttle roll-on is very smooth. But, there's a point when rolling-off that the throttle just shuts-down. If you hold the throttle right in that bad spot you get a nice bucking motion as the engine has a turn-on/turn-off sensation. If it was a bad TPS I would expect the problem to be more consistent. Some times it runs fine for hours, others not so much.

Try doing The Dragon when you can't reliably modulate your throttle. It took a lot of the fun out when we were there a couple weeks ago. Luckily I made one pass while it was working well. Fantastic roads Bad throttle
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 8:46 pm
Veteran

Hey! I found your solution!

"BMW has addressed this issue. Have your dealer look at service bulletin 1300204(057) The engine control computer will need to be replaced."

It's on the A&S website here. It's the third item, "K1200GT fluctuating idle."

Now tell you dealer to get on the stick and read their damn service bulletins!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2006, 12:09 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the valuable information. I will see what the dealer says. If the do not do anything I will point this out to them along with 7.0
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2006, 2:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC
I'm guessing your friend is right, it's not the O2 sensor. Like he said, a bad O2 sensor usually yields bad mileage. But, hopefully your BMW mechanic is right, and it gets fixed. The first time!

I don't think your GT has the same issues as mine, but who knows? No idle issues on my bike, and throttle modulation below 3k RPMs is pretty smooth. All my throttle on/off issues are above 3,500 rpms. Mine feels like it has a bad spot in the TPS, but not really that either. Throttle roll-on is very smooth. But, there's a point when rolling-off that the throttle just shuts-down. If you hold the throttle right in that bad spot you get a nice bucking motion as the engine has a turn-on/turn-off sensation. If it was a bad TPS I would expect the problem to be more consistent. Some times it runs fine for hours, others not so much.

Try doing The Dragon when you can't reliably modulate your throttle. It took a lot of the fun out when we were there a couple weeks ago. Luckily I made one pass while it was working well. Fantastic roads Bad throttle
Thanks! I will print this out and bring to my dealer this weekend.

By the way... My bike does all kind of funny idling...

1) Stall > once in a while, it will stall when I down shift to come to a turn or stop. Bike is hard to start up without giving gas and hold on to the throttle to keep the engine going...

2) High Idling > Bike will start to idling around 1800-2000 rpm. This is very obvious when you are riding in the city and stop at the light. If you are in the twisty, this will make each turns very very dangerous...

3) RPM stay up and come down slowly > Idling seem fine but when you rpm you engine to any rpm, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 and so on... RPM will stay there for 1/2 to 1 second before coming down slower than normal... This might be what you experience... I have ride with my wife on the back and notice the bike rode very funny in twisty... later found out it was the rpm stay up there for a while before coming down... Make shifting worst than beginer!

I think we (06 k12gt and up) all the similiar kind of throttle problem... Hopefully, this is the fix for our problem... if not, BMW better come up solution quick... This is very dangerous!!!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2006, 2:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Hey! I found your solution!

"BMW has addressed this issue. Have your dealer look at service bulletin 1300204(057) The engine control computer will need to be replaced."

It's on the A&S website here. It's the third item, "K1200GT fluctuating idle."

Now tell you dealer to get on the stick and read their damn service bulletins!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2006, 7:56 am
Rookie

Hi
It seems i'm not alone with these problems, my bikes in at the dealers now hopefully getting fixed . If i get her back for the weekend trip away and the problems are cured i'll let you all know what work they have done.

Tim

K1200 GT SE
Dark Graphite Metalic
Slate Grey side panels
Small Top Box

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode