Xenon retrofit - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:25 pm Thread Starter
The Gov

Xenon retrofit

Not sure if BMWNA will offer it, but guess what I just found in the repair manual CD. Instructions for a procedure entitled "Installing Xenon Light Retrofit Kit".

Not sure what the kit will cost, but that coupled with the labor to take everything down, including the top fairing section (nose), all the way down to the headlight ain't going to be cheap.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 11:48 pm
Veteran

I would guess a competent mechanic would be able to do it in maybe 3-4 hours. Mine may take a day or more (ugh!). They had enough problems with the MotoLights.

I believe they need to hook it up to the machine they all fear: their MoDiTec and do a set in the program for the Can-Bus, which may exclude us wannabe mechanics from messing with it.

Okay, add another day or two and some quality phone time with BMW-NA to figger it all out.... :wtf

If you buy the hardware stuff and try and do it yourself and then find you need the software alteration with their MoDiTec, it could get nasty. The competent mechanic would blame you for him not being able to do the programming. And the clock keeps ticking....

I suspect you're right. It ain't gonna be a cheapie!

So Phil, when you gonna try and do it?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 11:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack

So Phil, when you gonna try and do it?
Yes, I can't think of a better candidate for this one. I'll go 2nd.

JC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 6:25 am Thread Starter
The Gov

I'm either going to wait on RBR to come up with a mount for some 1100X's or go for an '07.

The HID won't really give me what I want anyway. The high beams are awesome and provide all I need for being conspicuous during the day on the interstates and also reach out pretty well at night. I miss not having the deer coverage I used to have.

I also didn't notice anything about using the GT-1 or configuring anything for the HID. It looks like it's just plugged in. It should draw 20 watts less than the standard bulb, they shouldn't need to do anything.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 12:27 pm
Veteran

I suspect in this age of modular construction that the Xenon system is "plug & play". I would be surprised if opening the tupperware does not reveal that all of the required infrastructure components are already in place (brackets, connectors, etc.) and other than the addition of the ballast, that the integrated headlamp assembly is a straight swap-out.

If I didn't already have it, I would be first in line. Presuming the cost was not too unreasonable.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 6:25 pm
Strafist

I read a post where the GT-1 asked if there was an HID with an yes/no answer. Been a bit and can't remember where it is.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 6:34 pm Thread Starter
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I read a post where the GT-1 asked if there was an HID with an yes/no answer. Been a bit and can't remember where it is.
GT-1 is mentioned almost everywhere, but in this procedure.

I also made the mistake of looking at the procedures for actually adjusting the valves, if they are out of spec :wtf

Removing the water pump, chain tensioner, a couple special tools, nothing like an oilhead or an old K bike. All this after the radiator, and valve cover have been pulled to measure the clearance. Sure hope the GT1 says mine are fine for 50K or better.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 6:34 pm Thread Starter
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolombo
Yes, I can't think of a better candidate for this one. I'll go 2nd.

JC
[coneofsilence]

Something that only you can understand :ksteve :fitz

[/coneofsilence]

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 7:40 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
That's the one I was referring too as well. It had something to do with someone watching their mechanic forcing the 7.0 update and watching him scroll through the query screens and the HID question came up.

No doubt the Can-Bus is being reset for sensing the lower current draw. In my car, the HID lamps ramp up in steps to full output in a few seconds. At first I thought they were burnt out or something. Somewhere, they're being controlled by some computer. Maybe the GT is the same in behavior?

I'll wait 'til Phil springs for doing his. Until then, I'll suffer with the MotoLights for my nighttime work.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 7:56 pm Thread Starter
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack

No doubt the Can-Bus is being reset for sensing the lower current draw. In my car, the HID lamps ramp up in steps to full output in a few seconds. At first I thought they were burnt out or something. Somewhere, they're being controlled by some computer. Maybe the GT is the same in behavior?

I'll wait 'til Phil springs for doing his. Until then, I'll suffer with the MotoLights for my nighttime work.
Phil ain't spring'in. I might just trade up to an '07 and save money by not having to pay for a valve adjustment.

I've got HID's on my cage too, and I don't think there is any computer stuff to the ramp up. Mine have to heat up the same way, they come up in steps as the field on the ballast fills up and the bulb comes up to temp.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode