GT in Cycle World - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 1:50 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

GT in Cycle World

A guest editor did a Utah endurance rally on the GT and reports on it. Not much on the bike. A few pages later there is a short comparison to the new FJR. In short, the GT wins again, better power, lower weight, more corner clearance etc. They didn't like the vague feel on the Duolever. Check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 2:17 pm
Addict

I read the article too and agree about the vague review but this type of review or comparison writing seems to the norm today. I used to subscribe to several bike mags such as Motorcyclist and Cycle World but the supposed bike tests and head-to-head comparisons don't tell you much anymore. In fact you get more out of the "sound bite" pro and con comments and the brief specification references than anything else. Cycle World did a recent 12 bikes of the world comparison and it didn't say much of anything that would help someone make a purchasing decision one way or the other. Maybe that's the whole point but I miss the days of indepth articles that really got into the machines features such as riding impressions, engineering design concepts, suspension systems, clear down to maintenance requirements. I remember when a good bike mag would crack an engine open and go through the engine design and comment on each component.

I guess I'm just getting old!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 5:11 pm

your not getting old...they are getting wish-e-washeee

the rags don't want to offend an existing or a potential advertisment customer. I agree most of the information and comparison is useless....that being said....

BMW offering demo rides has to have a major impact on increasing sales. ST1300 at 2/3rds the cost...no demo....K1200GT....demo ride and it's my next bike...dealer will have one end of Oct.

Ride comparison and being part of this online community helps make the choice.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 8:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeler
A guest editor did a Utah endurance rally on the GT and reports on it. Not much on the bike. A few pages later there is a short comparison to the new FJR. In short, the GT wins again, better power, lower weight, more corner clearance etc. They didn't like the vague feel on the Duolever. Check it out.
I think that was the same guy who rode the Cal24 Rally this year. He showed up on a blue loaner from BMW to do the rally. He didn't finish the rally due to some sort of family emergency( at least that was the scuttle butt on it). But seeing that bike in person closed the deal for me and i knew what my next bike would be. Pretty neat advertising trick by BMW. Makes me wonder how many will show up at some of the rallies next year?

DAve
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 9:01 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeler
...They didn't like the vague feel on the Duolever.
This is the same nonsense they said when BMW mounted their bars in rubber isolation mounts decades ago: "Too vague a feeling from the front end."

Well duh! They'd also complain if they felt too much tire buzz: "The vibration from the front end just wore us out."

BMW can't win.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode