clutch reservoir cover ram mount - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2006, 6:18 am Thread Starter

clutch reservoir cover ram mount

I remember seeing a ram ball mount that replaced the stock clutch fluid reservoir cover on the GT. I can't find it now. Does anyone have a link for it?

Thanks,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2006, 7:43 am

Brian,
I don't have the info for the ram ball mount, but do have a z technik I bought through Pirate that mounts besides either the brake or clutch resevoir in what had been a mirror mounting hole. It's a nicely built unit, with articualting arms and a swivel base that would work well for a radar unit etc.
I personally don't like the visual distraction of all of that moving with the handlebars, and have just picked up a shelf for above the instruments (from Bik Mak) to hold the radar detector.
My z tec mount is brand new, never had the velcro opened. It was $80 new; if you're interested in it, let me know.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2006, 8:19 am
The Gov

Cycle Gadgets has them too. I have a couple in the bin, but I can't remember which side they are for.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2006, 8:25 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

Brian
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2006, 11:17 am

I had purchased one of the covers you are looking for for my 1999 KRS and my 2002 LT. This cover does not work on the new GT. BMW has redesigned the reservoir for the GT. Make sure that the cover is set up for the new design.

Pete D.
Simi Valley, CA
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2006, 4:03 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdamski
I had purchased one of the covers you are looking for for my 1999 KRS and my 2002 LT. This cover does not work on the new GT. BMW has redesigned the reservoir for the GT. Make sure that the cover is set up for the new design.

Pete D.
Simi Valley, CA

Link for part is here.

I use the left (clutch) one for my GPS... but found it to leak like crazy after a few hundred miles. The stock cover on the GT and its gasket have notches cut out on three sides,the Cyclegadgets ram cover doesn't, so I had to get a new gasket and cut the notches in the ram reservoir cap. I can try to take pictures this weekend if I get time and anyone is interested, but it might not be a mod worth the time for most folks. I had to do something as I was on a road trip when I discovered the problem... and once I had mostly fixed it by filing the notches, I just went ahead and fininshed "fixing" it this week at home.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2006, 5:19 pm

i really think that folks are playing with FIRE when they use a RAM mounted attachment connected to their clutch or brake reservoirs.....
it really just isn't worth it
no one (well, almost no one) puts more stuff on his bike than me....
but, i have always steered clear of such attachment points...

somehow...
getting off your bike, your jacket gets caught on the RAM mount..... it rips it off
and YOUR TRIP IS OVER.....
plain and simple

be more creative
forget the reservoir RAM mount attachments....
too risky, IMHO

Last edited by ClearwaterBMW; Sep 29th, 2006 at 9:23 pm.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2006, 6:01 pm
The Gov

I'm with Greg. That's why I have two in my bin. I was going to use them on our RT's for XM Radio mounts, but decided against it after helping a friend scab his bike back together at the RA Rally in '04. He hit a deer on the way up and had his Roady mounted on top of the clutch master cylinder. Tore it up pretty good, we had to JB weld it and seal things up and then bleed it off (PIA on the road finding a speed bleeder in WV that will reach in past where the grub screw was).

After seeing this and having to fix it in the sticks, I decided against mounting anything on the master cylinders.

That said, I will sell them to anyone who wants them. Also important, they recommend that you use a new gasket when you put them on.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2006, 7:47 pm Thread Starter

I am a bit convinced that it may not be the best option. I will continue to look elsewhere.

Thanks,
Brian
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2006, 9:43 pm

I strongly agree with my namesake....nothing on the clutch or brake reservoirs. Alternatively, look what I did:

GPS (Garmin 76C) on the left and XM radio on the right (I made the aluminum holder). For my old eyes these are perfect in that I can see them and no interference with my Marsee Corona tank bag. Even better, it's all inexpensive RAM parts (from Cycle Gear) and takes ca. 5 min to mount

Cheers, Greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode