CIP 7.0.1/2 etc - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2006, 3:49 pm Thread Starter

CIP 7.0.1/2 etc

Gentlemen maybe Ladies too,
Thank you for a fascinating forum for the last 4/5 months. I bought my GT July 21st and have had some great trips around Spain and the UK in the last 8 weeks or so. I have found a number of the threads very useful and informative.
The point of this thread is that I had a 6K service yesterday in Plymouth and a new set of Pilots to replace the original Metzlers. I had the 7.0 upgrade done on the 1st of August on the way to the ferry for Spain, what a difference it made but i think the performance was very slightly sluggish to pre 7.0. the smoothness was more than worth it, like riding a different bike over the next 3500K.
Yesterday they upgraded again for a version 7.0.1 (not sure of the figures but you get the drift) and not only is it smooth but boy I think it is quicker (very responsive and agile)again. The techs tell me that this version came out after my departure, about two weeks
ago.
Just thought I would try and keep up the info flow.
To proove we are all different this is the first new bike I have owned that i haven't felt the need to change the seat, and the sat nav showed 140 and plenty to go on a long straight road with no traffic. yes there are some in Europe if you look hard enough.
I do find that I am riding with the ESA set for two up, when its just me and some luggage, but I do like to ride with as much feel as possible. The track day i did at Cadwell Park in August with 1500 miles on the clock was a revelation giving a K1200s a run for its money, and ruining the underside of the footpegs.
I hope this is of interest.
Regards
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2006, 4:54 pm
Addict-oholic

Great report. Version 7.0.1? hmmmmmmm, More power plus smoothness.
I have 7.0 and I have smoothness and good poer, not the same acceleration I had with 6.0.

I will check with my dealer soon.

Thanks.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2006, 5:37 pm
Addict

Tim,

The information you just provided is definitely of interest and thanks for taking the time to let us know. Please provide an update on the new software upgrade as you get more miles on the bike. From what you've described already though, this could be a good thing for all KGT owners. It will be interesting to see if BMW will now recommend the software upgrade for eveyone too.

Regarding the tires you just had mounted, I'm very interested in knowing how they work for you on the KGT. Likes and dislikes. Right now I'm planning on switching to the Pilots when it's time for tire replacement so your opinion will be very helpful. Take care and we hope to hear from you again soon.

John
06 CGM KGT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2006, 6:47 pm

I had the final drive oil changed yesterday, with an oil change, and asked Big Sky BMW about the 7.0. They told me that 7.0.1 was available, but recommended waiting to do an upgrade as they thought that things were changing fairly rapidly. I'm not having that much problem as is, and don't mind waiting.
They also did some warranty work an the radiator cowling mounts, which were apparently broken during shipment. They said this was a fairly common problem; something to check for on any new bike. The ones of concern are the bottom ones, where the shippping pallet rocks up and breaks them, and sometimes dings the exhaust. (Since they had the fairing off for this, I got most of my accessory wiring done while they worked on the other.)
I installed the Big Mak platform above the instruments. Slick, easy, and the radar box mounted right up, with room for a gps if I go in that direction. Brought the hard wire for the radar detector up under the instrument cluster outside bezel, and will do the same for the wiring to the Big Mak tank bag I have.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2006, 7:55 pm
Statmaster

Based on the document I read, the 7.0.1 upgrade has little to do with anything other than on some models getting an error when talking to the GT-1

Model: R 1200 GS (K25), R 1200 GS Adv. (K25/02), HP2 (K25HP), R 1200 RT (K29),
K 1200 S (K40), K 1200 R (K43)

There is no mention of the K1200GT (K44) in the document

Details:

The following issue could arise with CIP CD7.0:

The above mentioned models from production date 08/2006 and i-Stage level
K024-06-08-500 and newer can not be addressed correctly within CIP, because
CIP indicates that the “Instrument-Cluster must be replaced”.
Do not replace the instrument cluster.

This message appears due to missing data on CIP CD 7.0. The motorcycles
produced from 08/2006 and i-stage level K024-06-08-500 were produced after
CIP CD 7.0 was finalized. Therefore the data on these motorcycles was not
included in CIP CD 7.0.

Solution:

An update has been released that includes the missing data of the motorcycles
produced from 08/2006 and i-stage level K024-06-08-500.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2006, 8:35 pm
Addict

What would we do without eljeffe?

"And the light at the end of the tunnel is once again a freight train." :banghead
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2006, 8:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by John06KGT

"And the light at the end of the tunnel is once again a freight train." :banghead
I agree, eljeffe's posts are always good.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2006, 8:57 pm
Statmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by John06KGT

Somebody once told me it was better to watch a train wreck than to be part of one. LOL.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 3:33 am Thread Starter

Smile

Good Morning,
I am prepared to admit, that riding a newly serviced machine may well feel better than before, but I certainly thought that one through before starting the thread.
I could certainly feel a marked difference in acceleration and you can't put that down to new tyres.
I will be more than happy to post a report on both the pilots, and the machine handling over the next few weeks.
Tyres are a very personal thing, my riding mate rides an 05 K1200s and swears by metzlers and won't have anything else on any of his bikes. I did not get on with them as well as he does, 6K wasn't too bad considering the track day and temps of 42 deg on the Spanish plains and zero in storms in the Pyrennes. Handling in the wet was ok, no moments, but ridges in the road or thick white lines caused a marked skipping about in an upright straight line, not good at all if it happened whilst leaning.
Having just traded an STX1300 Pan with 56K on in three years done on BT020's for my Graphite K1200GT I decided having read and re-read the tyre threads on this site to have a change. I went to the tyre dealer in Plymouth intending to go for Conti road attacks, but the dealer persuaded me to try the Pilots as all his customers were raving about them. (probably means he had some spare ones from a deal). We shall see.
Regards
Tim
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 11:25 am

I think Pilot Roads are a fine tyre but I am going to change to Continental Sport/Attacks asap just for the hell of it. Hopefully nice sticky grip and decent wear.

I have BT020 on from new at the moment and after 2000 miles including some very wet miles today I think they are fine as well.

The V.7 fueling upgrade is a must do and I am happy overall with the throttle control after it. Any further improvements from BMW will be welcome as I still find it could be better albeit only slightler better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode