Another New GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 7:10 am Thread Starter

Another New GT

Hi Guys:

Just picked up my '07 GT last week. Only have been able to put about 150 miles on it so far. Wow, this is one SUPERB bike.

I would say that I have only two SMALL gripes about the bike:

1. The clutch lever doesn't engage until close to the end of its travel. This is making my shifts a little rough (tend to gun the engine when I am trying to match the engine speed to the shift). Are all BMWs this way? Does it help the feel of the lever if you change the distance between the grip and the lever? I am on setting "1" where the lever is closest to the grip.

2. Need a bigger windshield. I am 6' and am getting blasted in the head no matter where I put the shield. Am considering a Cee Bailey +4, +2 based on what I am seeing on this board.

Otherwise, like I said, this is one magnificent bike. I understand why people are calling the engine a "thruster." So smooth and quiet.

One last thing....still looking for a good tankbag that fits with NAV III on the standard BMW mount. Somebody was talking about the Marsee Corona.... Tried a Big Mak...no go. Now available in the classified section.

I appreciate everyone's input on this board. Top quality. I am learning a lot.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 7:22 am Thread Starter

Plug under passenger seat

One more question: What is the blanked-off electrical plug for that is under the passenger seat? What is BMW thinking you will put there?

Thanks. Mike
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 8:53 am
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5
One more question: What is the blanked-off electrical plug for that is under the passenger seat? What is BMW thinking you will put there?

Thanks. Mike
see this thread on this site. it explains fully what the accessory connector does:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4648

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 9:01 am
I'm riding

Quote:

Thanks. Mike
Congrats on your new ride!

If you do not have an OEM alarm so it looks like you mean the plug for it's connection. Right under the passenger seat.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 11:42 am
Veteran

Regarding the clutch lever, yep they all do that.

I am from the pre-load the shifter BMW (the '06 R110RRTL) where one had to keep your foot in position to keep a preload in the lever then pop in in once you activate the clutch, else you get a really loud clunk. Still do it today and this bike shifts far better than the old RT. BMW used to have the distinction of a "Box-O-Rocks" transmission. You won't get any feedback through the hydraulic line like you used to get with a cabled bike.

In time you'll figure out a pattern. Maybe shorten your shift time?

I am also 6' and found the stock taller shield a bit noisy, seem its coming from the top of the helmet area. I've got a Cee-Bailey 4+2+ shield lying on the floor right now. I'm planning on putting it on today but I won't be able to give it a test until next week.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 12:25 pm
Telepathetic

Congrats on your new ride. Yep, use very little clutch pull, almost like you are just applying pressure than actually pulling it in and shift briskly. This is becoming the smoothest shifting BMW I have ever had. I also have a Cee Bailey +4 +2 and just ordered a +6 +3. With the +4 I still get more air than I want even with the seat set low and bars down half way. I'm 6'2" with 34" inseam.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 12:56 pm

I have a +4 +3 CB screen and it works fine for my 6'1".

You may get used to the clutch as I have. Try it for a few thou miles.

My BMW tankbag (version 2) fits fine and is a good bag.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 2:18 pm

Quote:
1. The clutch lever doesn't engage until close to the end of its travel. This is making my shifts a little rough (tend to gun the engine when I am trying to match the engine speed to the shift). Are all BMWs this way? Does it help the feel of the lever if you change the distance between the grip and the lever? I am on setting "1" where the lever is closest to the grip.
1. congratulations on the bike
2. every BMW ever made has this same problem... i've complained about it for years....
apparently only and you ane me care
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 2:21 pm

Quote:

One last thing....still looking for a good tankbag that fits with NAV III on the standard BMW mount. Somebody was talking about the Marsee Corona.... Tried a Big Mak...no go. Now available in the classified section.

I appreciate everyone's input on this board. Top quality. I am learning a lot.

Mike
yes
marsee corona
mr. pockets
20 liter
it's amazing
horrible picture at night..
but....
it works fine with the nav iii and i'm only 5'6"
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 2:23 pm

and....

the bag even looks good with a Marsee jacket piled on top
from st. augustine yesterday

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode