Heated grips controlled by the onboard computer - rubbish ? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 11:49 am Thread Starter

Heated grips controlled by the onboard computer - rubbish ?

The last few days in England have been mild temperature wise but with heavy rain.

I have found that the new heated grips that are controlled by the (BC) on board computer are not working very well at all.

Because the air temperature is mild (13-17C or 55-65F) the computer thinks its warm outside. The heavy rain and wind chill effect of riding made my summer gloves and hands damp and I turned on the heated grips to warm me pinkies up a bit.

But the grips on setting one were not hot enough as they thought is was warm outside and probably decided for me that they would switch to mininum or zero heat. I had to put the grips on high for heat which became too hot after a while so I turned them down again. So it continued for several hours, up and down.

Me thinks a case of too much thinking on technology rather than what works in the real world.

I will be writing to BMW UK about this.

Anyone else noticed this ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 12:28 pm
Rookie

Yes, I have noticed the same (also for the heated seat). I asked the dealer if it was possible to adjust this but they said no.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 1:22 pm
I'm riding

+1. Me too here. But I did not think it was wrong. It worked at +20C same. Maybe it's just the way it works.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 2:25 pm

not on HIGH.....

the computer only controls the grips on LOW....
on HIGH... you get full power... ALL THE TIME
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 6:17 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
not on HIGH.....

the computer only controls the grips on LOW....
on HIGH... you get full power... ALL THE TIME
Greg;

That is what the OP was saying.

For my trip so far (1500 out of 3000 miles) the grips have worked as expected. On high they get hot enough for me to feel the warmth and when set on low they seem to maintain just the right amount of heat. My first day over Vail pass it was 27 degrees and I left them on high, when it got to about 45 degrees I set them on low and they seemed just fine until about 65 degrees when I shut them off. The next morning when I left Ely, NV it dropped to about 22 as I headed west - the grips were on high again until it got to 40-45 degrees and i set them on low where they maintained the amount of heat I needed until I shut them off at about 65 degrees.

I would suspect wet hands on a mild day might be out of the computers range of adjustment when on low.

Click
here to become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com

Randy Prade,
Aurora, CO

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 6:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy
Greg;

That is what the OP was saying.

For my trip so far (1500 out of 3000 miles) the grips have worked as expected. On high they get hot enough for me to feel the warmth and when set on low they seem to maintain just the right amount of heat. My first day over Vail pass it was 27 degrees and I left them on high, when it got to about 45 degrees I set them on low and they seemed just fine until about 65 degrees when I shut them off. The next morning when I left Ely, NV it dropped to about 22 as I headed west - the grips were on high again until it got to 40-45 degrees and i set them on low where they maintained the amount of heat I needed until I shut them off at about 65 degrees.

I would suspect wet hands on a mild day might be out of the computers range of adjustment when on low.
sorry randy
it's been a long day
just got back from a 2-day, 2-up trip with my wife
i guess i was overheated.... and over tired after washing the bike when i got home to properly read that OP

you are right
sorry.
man.... i better get some sleep tonight
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:15 am
Veteran

I believe the system is working well under its design parameters. What can not be accounted for in the system design, is the problem you and I both are experiencing at the same ambient temps and conditions (rain. etc.) and that is "evaporative cooling". The effect of wet gloves in moving air dramatically reduces surface temperature. It would be difficult for the system to take this in to account. I found the same solution you did, cycling the system into high on a regular basis.

Taking evaporative cooling out of the equation, I think the system is very effective and works as advertised.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"

Last edited by SKIZIKS; Oct 2nd, 2006 at 11:54 am.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:14 pm Thread Starter

But would a variable manual control be better to self select the required temp as per the Honda dial. (But much better designed)

I think so as it would take variables such as water evaporation out of it.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:18 pm
Veteran

Or maybe just a simple 3rd position.
  1. Low (with ambient temperature regulation, I do like this feature)
  2. Medium - always "warm", but not hot/hot
  3. Hot - for thick gloves, sub-zero riding
This would work for me.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:48 am
Rookie

So what does this really mean, bunk or what?:

"As for the heated grips, this is hardly rocket science either; the addition of a thermostat is a finishing touch to one of the great weapons in battling winter weather on a bike. Set the temperature you like and the thermostat switches the current on and off automatically to maintain it."

From here under K1200GT Techwatch: http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode