Tax trick bying a new GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 3:24 pm Thread Starter

Tax trick bying a new GT

A dealer proposed me to buy the tuned down version of the GT (100 Horsepower), Run it like this to the first service and have it tuned normally at the first service.
The reason is that where I live you must pay 2.500 Eur extra when registring the bike if its registred as a 150 horsepower engine. I do understand the tax implication but was wondering if one of you would be thinking about this technically. The dealer assured me that is is just a change in the software which is easely done . But is it ?
Any thoughts about this ?
Zillion thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 5:26 pm
Addict

Andre,

I have no clue where you live but I do have clue about what your dealer is telling you and it complete BS . The authorities base fees and taxes on the manufacturer's specifications. The 2006 and 2007 KGT horsepower rating is the same for all KGT's and is rated at 152 hp.

I'm all for trying to save money but it's up to you and whatever you and your dealer think you can get away with.

John
06 CGM KGT
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 6:14 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John06KGT
Andre,

I have no clue where you live but I do have clue about what your dealer is telling you and it complete BS . The authorities base fees and taxes on the manufacturer's specifications. The 2006 and 2007 KGT horsepower rating is the same for all KGT's and is rated at 152 hp.

I'm all for trying to save money but it's up to you and whatever you and your dealer think you can get away with.

John
06 CGM KGT
Talk about John. In some countries they do tune down bikes to 100 hp for tax or insurance reasons (e.g. France, Belgium).

Andre is looking for an answer to the question of tuning back the GT, whether it is just a matter of software and if so, whether it can be reversed easily.

Andre, if your dealer - I assume it is an official BMW dealer - tells you it can be tuned back to the original 152 hp (or approx. 149 hp in case of v 7.0 software), go for it. Let him put it in writing.

Grtz,
Erwin

'14 R1200GS Adventure LC - Racing Red uni matt - full options - Nav V ... where the road ends Adventure begins ...
'13 320dA Touring - Mineralgrau metallic ... Freude am Fahren ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 11:26 pm
Addict

Well I've certainly been put into my place but if I'm wrong I'm wrong. :o

My apology to ®win and Andre.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 1:59 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre
A dealer proposed me to buy the tuned down version of the GT (100 Horsepower), Run it like this to the first service and have it tuned normally at the first service.
The reason is that where I live you must pay 2.500 Eur extra when registring the bike if its registred as a 150 horsepower engine. I do understand the tax implication but was wondering if one of you would be thinking about this technically. The dealer assured me that is is just a change in the software which is easely done . But is it ?
Any thoughts about this ?
Zillion thanks
Andre, just wondering, isn't your government doing anything against this tax evasion? For instance, the obligation to leave the bike in limited power for at least a year or so? This way the tax rule doesn't seem to have much sense (not that any of this kind of tax rules has any sense ).

Did your dealer also tell you what it costs to tune down the bike to 100 hp and back up afterwards to 152 hp?

Grtz,
Erwin

'14 R1200GS Adventure LC - Racing Red uni matt - full options - Nav V ... where the road ends Adventure begins ...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:40 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for worrying about the financials for me, I really appreciate this. But I was wondering how it is done by software only and without making any hardware changes?
Do they limit the max rmp's (torque x rpm=power) ? Or do they disable a cylinder
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:54 pm
Enthusiast

I think it would rather be time and duration of the injection and time of ignition. Probably the same way the ASC will limit the power of the engine when the rear wheel looses traction. That would be purely intervention of the software.

Grtz,
Erwin

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 1:12 pm
Addict

page 130 of my USA - KR owners manual (Engine Design)

Rated Output 163 hp @ 10250
with OE Power reduction 101 hp @ 7000
with OE Power reduction 107 hp @ 8750

Max Torque 94 lb/ft @ 8250
with OE Power reduction 81 hp @ 5250
with OE Power reduction 76 hp @ 4500

So yes, this looks very possible, and even done though the CPU and possibility by moving the rev limiter setting.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2006, 3:41 pm

I have done this mod buying my bike.

It was delivered at 100 hp and tuned up to 152 hp at the first service.

It is indeed only a sofdtware modification: the mapping of the engine is changed, and it does take 1 memory location (out of the possible 13 available, if I'm correct), so I am now at #2.

If I upgrade to v7 I will be at #3 (which doesn't bother me BTW).

There is no hassle whatsoever with the modification.

Andre, I reckon you live in Belgium, since this country is typically taxing vehicles based on hp.

Rgds

Luc
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2006, 3:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucsch
I have done this mod buying my bike.

It was delivered at 100 hp and tuned up to 152 hp at the first service.

It is indeed only a sofdtware modification: the mapping of the engine is changed, and it does take 1 memory location (out of the possible 13 available, if I'm correct), so I am now at #2.

If I upgrade to v7 I will be at #3 (which doesn't bother me BTW).

There is no hassle whatsoever with the modification.

Andre, I reckon you live in Belgium, since this country is typically taxing vehicles based on hp.

Rgds

Luc
Luc,

So if I understand well, they don't overwrite previous mappings but add it to the system's "memory". Is there a way to switch between the so called levels then?

How much did you pay to upgrade from the 100 to 152hp? Reducing it at delivery if for free, but what about the way back at for instance the first maintenance?

Livin
K1200GT (2007-?)
R1150RT (2002-2006)

Last edited by SilverRT; Oct 6th, 2006 at 3:17 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode