Return to the Sickbay - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 8:21 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Return to the Sickbay

After a 500 mile trip i have to report that my throttle high idling, sticking on, surging , taking a split second to go back down problems have returned or maybe not gone away. The reason i say not gone away is that it started after 100 miles on both days so it seems to be related to the bike being hot.

The problem was so bad i had to pull in the clutch as well as the brake on most corners or junctions on the journey home on Sunday as the weather was atrocious and it felt very unsafe trying to slow down on any kind of bend, i must say that i feared an accident was about to happen, thankfully not but i'm back on the phone to my dealers Tuesday to try to get to the bottom of this major flaw in GT riding experience.

Hope nobody else is suffering the same fate and if they are and have a cure then please let me know.

Safe Riding

Tim

K1200 GT SE
Dark Graphite Metalic
Slate Grey side panels
Small Top Box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 8:28 am
Veteran

Q

Tim,

There appears to be three possible problems as related by members on this site, in no particular order:
  1. Oxygen sensor
  2. Idle control valve
  3. Throttle cable

I'd have the dealer consider all three. And good luck! I really feel for you. I spent the weekend riding the Cabot Trail and other small backroads in Nova Scota for about 1,500 km. This bike is like "living inside a video game".

I love it! And you will too once it's sorted out.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 1:11 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi
Chris
Thanks for the reply, i have had the throttle idle valve replaced already and the cables checked and the diagnostics apparently don't show up anything. I will see what they say Tuesday , and despite the problems with the bike i still think it's an awesome motorbike.

Just a glitch that i hope that BMW will get right oh and an terribly unconfortable seat with my backside still hurting after 5000 miles of riding.

Tim

K1200 GT SE
Dark Graphite Metalic
Slate Grey side panels
Small Top Box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 7:41 pm

hot ---- maybe try this....

this may be bull twacky but you say it happens after the bike is really "warmed up"...

I had a Pont Fiero and the routing of the radiator hoses caused air bubbles to easily form and the air bubbles interferred with the computer sensors and timing circuits since the air bubble at the sensor confused the computer. With the engine running I had to turn the radiator cap slowly to release the air from hoses. I wore heavy rubber gloves over leather gloves to protect me from the hot antifreese.

Can you locate the radiator hose cap and once hot turn it to see if any air bubbles come out? When I fill my bikes I fill, then start and let the air purcolate out, then re-fill until hot, then cap off and make sure the overflow tank has plenty of fluid when everything cools.

Even if you don't want to unscrew it hot...make sure it is "full" cold and there is fluid in the overflow tank if there is one.

Hope you get it fixed. The bike I demoed was flawless.

Cheers.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 8:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg
After a 500 mile trip i have to report that my throttle high idling, sticking on, surging , taking a split second to go back down problems have returned or maybe not gone away. The reason i say not gone away is that it started after 100 miles on both days so it seems to be related to the bike being hot.

The problem was so bad i had to pull in the clutch as well as the brake on most corners or junctions on the journey home on Sunday as the weather was atrocious and it felt very unsafe trying to slow down on any kind of bend, i must say that i feared an accident was about to happen, thankfully not but i'm back on the phone to my dealers Tuesday to try to get to the bottom of this major flaw in GT riding experience.

Hope nobody else is suffering the same fate and if they are and have a cure then please let me know.

Safe Riding

Tim
Sorry to hear about your bike. Mine is the exact samething!

So far, I think most (may be all) 06 + K1200GT have the same problem. I don't think any of us got fix yet! Anyone has a 06 + K1200 GT that don't have problem with this throttle problem thingy?

My dealer told me the oxygen sensor is bad, but they don't have part. I will find out sometime this week when they will received them. Will be a while before I know if that will fix it or not.

Yes. It is a fantastic bike!!! With the throttle problem, that make it very dangerous... Imaginze going fast on twisty and the problem start...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 12:06 am

Since updating to 7.0 my GT is very smooth at low rpm's. My bike has never died or turned off (unless I leave the kickstand down-oopsy). I have noticed a hesitation when letting off the gas at highway speeds and trying to give it gas again. I believe someone else mentioned this a few weeks ago. This seems to happen pretty consistently at around 4800 rpm. I had a Power Commander on my Harley and I was able to adjust the map with my laptop and a serial cable so I am somewhat familiar with the process. Perhaps there is a flat spot on the new map that came with 7.0 at 4800-5000 rpm.

I still think that this bike is awesome!! Even with the few shortcomings that a few of us have mentioned, I have never had such an awesome beast. When I first rode my 1999 K1200 RS, I was blown away compared to my Harley's and Buell and even my new LT. The bike was fast and smooth and I felt like I was flying on the freeway. After riding the GT for several months I got back on the RS and I couldn't believe how slow it felt. I actually thought the RS might be broken, but it is running just fine.

Most or all of the fixes are going to be software based and I feel confident that BMW will do the right thing for those of you with problems.

Pete D.
Simi Valley, CA
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 1:08 am
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-K12GT
Anyone has a 06 + K1200 GT that don't have problem with this throttle problem thingy?
Yes, me :-)) My bike is O.K. so far :-))
(keep my fingers crossed)

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 1:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
Yes, me :-)) My bike is O.K. so far :-))
(keep my fingers crossed)
How many miles you have on your bike? Most of my problems started after a long ride, 100 miles or more. Most of the time in hot weather. Happen once in cold weather after a 10 miles ride... You just never know

My bike started doing this after 1000 miles, currently have about 2500 miles on bike.

Most of the time it is flawless... Just don't know when it is going to happen... That's worry me...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 1:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdamski
Since updating to 7.0 my GT is very smooth at low rpm's. My bike has never died or turned off (unless I leave the kickstand down-oopsy). I have noticed a hesitation when letting off the gas at highway speeds and trying to give it gas again. I believe someone else mentioned this a few weeks ago. This seems to happen pretty consistently at around 4800 rpm. I had a Power Commander on my Harley and I was able to adjust the map with my laptop and a serial cable so I am somewhat familiar with the process. Perhaps there is a flat spot on the new map that came with 7.0 at 4800-5000 rpm.

I still think that this bike is awesome!! Even with the few shortcomings that a few of us have mentioned, I have never had such an awesome beast. When I first rode my 1999 K1200 RS, I was blown away compared to my Harley's and Buell and even my new LT. The bike was fast and smooth and I felt like I was flying on the freeway. After riding the GT for several months I got back on the RS and I couldn't believe how slow it felt. I actually thought the RS might be broken, but it is running just fine.

Most or all of the fixes are going to be software based and I feel confident that BMW will do the right thing for those of you with problems.

Pete D.
Simi Valley, CA
I agree... Fantastic bike... Out run any other of my buddy's bikes easily...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 3:37 am Thread Starter
Rookie

hi
Thanks for all the replys and helpful tips, my bike is the 07 GT and i've done over 5000 miles from new in September. I'm just about to contact my dealer to see if they have any answers to my probles.

Safe Riding

Tim

K1200 GT SE
Dark Graphite Metalic
Slate Grey side panels
Small Top Box

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode