GXM Antenna - Can I paint it? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:59 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

GXM Antenna - Can I paint it?

I'm thinking about mounting my antenna up front by the X bracket on my GT and I don't want it to stick out so badly aesthetically. Can I paint the antenna without affecting the reception?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 1:46 pm
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeler
I'm thinking about mounting my antenna up front by the X bracket on my GT and I don't want it to stick out so badly aesthetically. Can I paint the antenna without affecting the reception?
If you mean putting it up behind the windshield at an angle, I wouldn't do that. If you do, you will be lucky to receive anything while the bike is heading northbound. The satellites are located in the south, similar to DSS and as you get farther north the look angle becomes more shallow.

If you mount the antenna on the nose of the bike, when you are heading in a northerly direction, the bike will masking the antenna's view of the bird.

As for painting, I'm might not be a big deal, just make sure it's not a let or metallic based paint, but I wouldn't do it.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 1:28 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

New question

Can I just dual lock the antenna to the top of my V1 without affecting the performance of either one? And thanks for the thoughts on positioning the antenna, I hadn't thought about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 1:48 pm
The Gov

Only if you can figure out a way to make it stick and not adversely affect the two important stickers in the center, it's XM id and Garmin SN.

I tried and couldn't find anything to stick to the rubber outer ring. You could figure out a way to velcro or attach the metal plate to the V1 and then let it stick to that.

I tired to do something similar and ended up with a mess and in the process of undoing it, pulling off the two important labels. Luckily, my wife is both a cool head and a good with adhesives and we got the stickers reattached. That rubber outer ring is a beyotch.

Have you looked at that RAM adapter plate that cyclegadgets sells?

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 2:14 pm
Veteran

The 3M dual lock stuff much better than Velcro. I'm presuming you have the metal plate for the marine mount.
1. Grind the indents on the plate so there are no high spots
2. Repaint the metal plate with some grayish/black color
3. Put the 'dual' lock on the plate and top of V1
4. Put plate on top of V1
5. The magnetic mount on the GXM30 sticks very well to the metal plate. I use a Velcro tie strap to ensure no movement.

The only reason for the above is if you wnat to move the GXM 30 to different bikes or car. If you are permanently using on bike just screw in metal plate.

I of course will look like an idiot if you're not talking about the GXM 30???? IF SO, DISREGARDS ALL.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 3:10 pm
The Gov

Damn John, now you are going to make me pull my windshield, remove the plate and paint it.

I also had to relocate mine last weekend. I had originally located the plate on the BIGMAK shelf to be pretty, which placed it too close to the GPS. I had terrible reception. I moved it over a whole whopping inch and now it works like a champ.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 4:33 pm
Veteran

But yes Phil . . . that steel plate will rust pronto! How've you been? Too lazy to go thru the 7.0 upgrade post. Did you have yours done? Any change?

Rgds

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 6:18 pm
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
But yes Phil . . . that steel plate will rust pronto! How've you been? Too lazy to go thru the 7.0 upgrade post. Did you have yours done? Any change?

Rgds
It hasn't yet, but it looks knarly. I've been thinking about heading to HF and picking up one of their cheap powder coating setups, maybe this would be a good first project to piss off the wife.

7.0 upgrade still rocks.

I have been able to create one problem that some people have reported. If you are lugged down, like near 3K or so, which isn't a good place to be anyway, and you roll on, it might take a half sec or so to come on and follow your lead. I was trapped, unexpected blip in traffic with a broke down car on I95 and had to brake quick, and decided to roll on without downshifting and it was a little slow to respond. I was able to recreate this a couple times, just out of curiosity, but I always keep things spinning up there, a hold over from the old days of keeping your heads clean on airheads.

Heck, I never hit 6th until I'm at 80 or better, this engine doesn't like running slow

Phil Space
Springfield, VA

Last edited by philspace; Oct 3rd, 2006 at 8:25 pm.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 8:40 am
Enthusiast

What is the dia of the puck? I want to see if it will fit behind my gps on my Big Mak shelf.

06 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 9:03 am
The Gov

It won't fit behind.

Here is a picture of where I attempted to mount it at first. The GPS masked the XM antenna too much and my reception sucked.

This is it's new location, right along side, as tight to the outer edge of the shelf as possible, and it works like a champ, good reception going in all direction.

It his hadn't worked, the next step would have been to relocate it to a mirror mount, but I really didn't want to do that and have to deal with yet another cable run.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode