Should I buy a GT or an RT? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 4:08 pm Thread Starter

Should I buy a GT or an RT?

While this may be an odd question to ask on a K bike forum, maybe K1200GT is the answer I am looking for. My last bike was a modified V-Max. I now want a more sophisticated ride but I still need a good dose of power. The only bikes I am considering are the GT and RT. I like the power, smoothness, and looks of the GT. I like the riding position and wind protection of the RT. I am almost sold on a 1200GT, but I am concerned that the riding position (with the bars adjusted) may be a bit too forward for my comfort. Should I be concerned about this? Is leaning forward something you get used to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 4:18 pm
Statmaster

I just came of the K1200LT and didn't notice that much of a problem. With the adjustment all the way back (and you can always get the Helibar unit that allows it to go back further), I would think you could get as comfortable as you need.

Two issues:

The seat - for me, it sucked. It's the way it is cut that is the problem for me. Easily fixable with a new seat from Rick Mayer, Kontour, Russell, or Bill Mayer. Or you can get a set of BeadRider beads, which made it tolerable.

The windshield: too much buffetting. You will want to replace it with a CeeBaileys screen. You can get up to +6" higher and +3" wider.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 4:33 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the invaluable advice. Just knowing that I can buy an adapter which allows the bars to pulled farther back gets me over my purchasing hesitancy.
Are the seats custom made? And if so, I assume that it is necessary to take the bike to the seat builder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 4:38 pm
Statmaster

Rick Mayer will want photographs of you sitting on your bike. They are all custom built, so you would need to send your seat pan to them for work -- or you can buy a second seat and use that to ship to them.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 4:53 pm

I just went through what you are doing now. I was on an '04 RT and found it to be under powered for my needs. I test rode a '06 RT and while it had more power, it still had those odd behaviours all the RT's have. I went to a dealer that had a GT in stock, I sat on it, no test ride and wrote a check.

Today was the first trip (100 miles) to work and found I was as comfortable on the GT as I was on the RT, and to some degree even more. I am leaned forward a bit but, if you nudge right up the tank, you can sit pretty up right.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 5:41 pm Thread Starter

Thanks - I was in Strugis at the Rally in August and rode a new RT for about 25 miles. I really liked the handling and the sophistication of the bike - and while the power was nice, I want excessive power. It is very reassuring to hear from a Rt to GT convert.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 6:50 pm

Comfort adjustments

Depending on you build you may need to make some adjustments. My need was the following:
1. Rick Mayer Seat (worth every penny!)
2 Heli bar adapter ( also worth every penny!)
3. Stock tall BMW Screen.
4. Learning to relax your grip and sit back ( a work in progress).

GT Hack
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 7:28 pm

last bike was a vmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_golfo
While this may be an odd question to ask on a K bike forum, maybe K1200GT is the answer I am looking for. My last bike was a modified V-Max. I now want a more sophisticated ride but I still need a good dose of power. The only bikes I am considering are the GT and RT. I like the power, smoothness, and looks of the GT. I like the riding position and wind protection of the RT. I am almost sold on a 1200GT, but I am concerned that the riding position (with the bars adjusted) may be a bit too forward for my comfort. Should I be concerned about this? Is leaning forward something you get used to?

The vmax compares to the st1300 more than the K1200GT. I had a 2000 Vmax and have ridden the st1300 more than twice,

vmax - st1300 - v4 - five speed - one carb the other throttle bodies (not efi). No cruse control on either, vmax - self cancelling turn signals - st1300 no.

I loved the power of the Vmax up to 130 with ease, no wind protection, wife hated riding on it, freeway speeds with ear plugs still deffening because of the high engine rpms.

Having demo'd a K1200GT for almost an hour and almost 100 + miles I can say if you "liked" the vmax you will love the K1200gt.

Power out the kazoo. six speeds at 65 mph, ExTrEaMlY QUIET.....110 in a heartbeat (remember the word demo). 5th gear from 30 to 110 no bucking, no fowled plugs, brakes to live for (vmax brakes suck big time). and rider comfort above and beyond the St1300 (so the wife says). Wind and rain protection - vmax - notta.

Take the kgt and take off the side bags and it is racy sharp. did not ride the RT but having a bike that will run 100+ mph , mile after mile after mile, is a big plus.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 8:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_golfo
Hi,

I got both 06 RT and 06 GT in my garage as I typed. The GT is mine and RT belong to my buddy.

2 months ago, we were going to buy RT together, without test drive. The dealer didn't have the color I want in stock. So my buddy bought the bike first. When I test drive the RT later in the day. I really hate the way the boxer engine sounds and the way it took off... You need to slip the clutch quite a bit to take off... Otherwise the engine will stall... I think the power is so so... I like to have a little more power...

Anyway... I bought the GT... I love it... My buddy know GT is a much more powerful bike... He hasn't ask to test drive it... to this day.. He doesn't want to know... I guess.

Wind protection is really good on the RT, I think you can change that on the GT by changing the windscreen..

GT, you ride with a little lean forward compare to RT. You can fix that using aftermarket part.

Buy the one you like. That's the best advice.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:36 pm

We can't and won't make this choice for you, we can only offer our observations that reflect our preferences.
I rode a RT for 2k miles (rented one) to make sure it was what I wanted; it wasn't. In particular, and you may want to consider this, was that it had too much protection and was very hot in the hot city traffic (even with the screen in the lowest position). It has plenty of power and it does the twisties very well. The GT is less faired and therefore cooler in hot weather, but does just fine in cold and/or wet weather. The greater power and handling are without question, and if these are the deciding factor, then it's not even a question you need to ask.
So, that's my contribution. Have fun shopping!
Greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode