Trailering a new K100GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 1:26 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Trailering a new K100GT

Just picked up my new 07 K1200GT in Denver last week, traded in my R1200GS that I was not riding off road enough. Love the new bike, especially after installing the Heli Riser for the handlebar and the Suburban Machinery foot peg lowering kit. The bike now fits me very well and as soon as my Cee Bailey +4 +2 arrives I will be set. I am 6' 2" and the standard set up left me a little too cramped.

Riding the GT here is the mountains is a blast. I have put about 330 miles on it so far and love it. I live in Summit County, the highest county in the US and the bike performs unbelieveably well. Can't wait to see how fast it is a sea level vs 10,000'!

I plan on using my Kendon trailer to haul the bike to Tucson for the winter and had some questions on where to attach ties to the bike? On my R1200GS I attached the front ties to the Telelever and it worked fine, but on the K1200GT there is little room to attach to the suspension, so I got a Canyon Dancer setup for the handlebars that gives you an attachement point. But the Heli Riser came with a disclaimer for trailering with ties to the handlebars. Frankly, the bolt up arrangement on the Heli Riser and the substantial nature of the setup looks better than the BMW OEM setup, so I can't see what the problem would be. Anyone else tried to trailer a new GT and where did you attach the front ties?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 1:32 pm
Enthusiast

From what I've read here and on the RT board, do not use Canyon Dancers. I trailered mine 900 miles to the national rally and used an LA chock and tie downs near the passenger footpegs. The chock is the way to go, ride in and get off, then attach the tie downs pulling the bike forward into the chock.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 2:19 pm
Veteran

No Canyon Dancer

No, under no circumstances even think about the Canyon Dancers. Soft ties on lower forks just above tubes prevents slippage down and plenty of places for the soft ties on frame behind pegs. I always use 3 pair of ties when ever I trailer any of my bikes, just in case. And while cinching down is important, don't over do it.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 2:28 pm
Addict

I agree with 2wheeler, the LA Chock is a great way to go. If you use the LA Chock there is no need to put ties on the front of the bike.
http://http://www.baxleycompanies.com/LAChock.html
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 2:35 pm
Veteran

I have the LA chock in my Chariot covered trailer and I disagree. A properly adjusted LA chock can indeed stabilize the bike to a certain degree but I still think properly tying down the bike is still required. My thoughts are that the LA chock makes it easier to support the bike during tie-down process but isn't necessarily the most stable. The LA chock also adds some interesting issues if you have short legs and/or the trailer not level. Getting a fully loaded bike out of the chock under certain conditions sometimes a problem For that reason I removed my LA Chock and use just the Pingel. To stabilize the bike I have a 3/4 in board where the sidestand comes down and when dismounting the bike is on the sidestand, without a severe lean angle, but easy enough to use tie-downs.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 3:53 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
I have the LA chock in my Chariot covered trailer and I disagree. A properly adjusted LA chock can indeed stabilize the bike to a certain degree but I still think properly tying down the bike is still required. My thoughts are that the LA chock makes it easier to support the bike during tie-down process but isn't necessarily the most stable. The LA chock also adds some interesting issues if you have short legs and/or the trailer not level. Getting a fully loaded bike out of the chock under certain conditions sometimes a problem For that reason I removed my LA Chock and use just the Pingel. To stabilize the bike I have a 3/4 in board where the sidestand comes down and when dismounting the bike is on the sidestand, without a severe lean angle, but easy enough to use tie-downs.
I have a fully loaded cruiser (VTx1800n) that weighs 800 lbs and when I first used it with the LA Chock, I also had the trouble that you describe but once I got it adjusated correctly, it is a breeze to load and unload the bike. With the chock properly adjusted, I have found no need for front tie downs. The bike won't budge with just the two tie downs (recommended) in the rear pulling the bike forward
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 4:26 pm
The Gov

Yikes - no Canyon Dancer. They are bad for BMW's in general, will tear up a heated grip (DAMHIK) and would probably be pretty hard on our adjustable handlebar system as well.

Use the nylon extension loops and run them up in to the top of the fork and tie it down there. I also have the pivoting chocks for my Kendon that hold the front wheel in tight. Rear is simple, straps to the subframe in the rear near the passenger pegs.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 7:28 pm
This thing needed "K" Power

Trailering/storing/Racing

I've used many devices to trailer my bikes over the years. I now use a wheel chock from these folks. (The "original lift" is awesome as well.)

http://www.bikelift.com/

The device is great to pull in the garage and "park it". When I race I use one on my supermoto bike (Since it has no stand) I have quick connects in the trailer to use when transporting any number of bikes.
The quality is high, the price is right, and I've been very happy with them. I am not affiliated with the company -rather a pleased consumer.
Joe

07 K1200GT
Illinois
Back to BMW after all these miles....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode