Pay for 7.0 update & rear drive oil change? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:14 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Pay for 7.0 update & rear drive oil change?

I had the 7.0 upgrage last week on my 2006 and the dealer charged me. He also wants to charge me for a rear oil change. I asked him to do it on the 10km checkup but the service tech didn't know anything about it so he didn't. Someone else in the dealership acknowleged reading about it in a BMW bulletin so I have booked another visit. Are these not warranty issues? He says no.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:34 pm

They are only warranty issues if they are fixing a problem. If you have had no problems, they are not covered with a warranty. At least this is how some of the dealers are working it.

Brian
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by drallan
I had the 7.0 upgrage last week on my 2006 and the dealer charged me. He also wants to charge me for a rear oil change. I asked him to do it on the 10km checkup but the service tech didn't know anything about it so he didn't. Someone else in the dealership acknowleged reading about it in a BMW bulletin so I have booked another visit. Are these not warranty issues? He says no.
I think you can divide BMW dealers into two groups. Those that know the GT to has fueling problems, admit it, and do the 7.0 update under warranty. Then there are the dealers that give you a hard time when ask for the upgrade and try to charge for it.

I have gone to both types. I no longer go to the dealer that wanted to charge me. I plan to have all my service done at Scottsdale BMW where the update was done under warranty.

I dealt with one dealer in California that wanted to charge me and one that seemed to be unware of the update. Scottsdale BMW knew the GTs are buckers and did not hesitate to cover the update under warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 12:12 am
Enthusiast

software

Just had the 7.0 done last weekend, under warranty. My dealer requested to know what the issues were - flat spot in throttle, surging at around 2100 rpms, etc.
All these problems are now gone. Bike does not seem to have the same crack it had previously but I sure like the linear feel of the throttle. All in all a good tradeoff for me.
Would highly recommend the upgrade but it does change the characteristics of the bike.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 6:48 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricbob
Just had the 7.0 done last weekend, under warranty. My dealer requested to know what the issues were - flat spot in throttle, surging at around 2100 rpms, etc.
All these problems are now gone. Bike does not seem to have the same crack it had previously but I sure like the linear feel of the throttle. All in all a good tradeoff for me.
Would highly recommend the upgrade but it does change the characteristics of the bike.
This is the clincher for me. I will NOT be upgrading. However, I do not have any surging, just a sensitive throttle which I find managable. I don't want to lose the "crack" that I get such a kick out of.

I've read elsewhere here that V7 reduces top hp output to 149.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 10:10 am

I was reluctant to upgrade to 7.0 for the sake of a jumpy throttle. Then the following happened:

Pre 7.0
1. Jumpy throttle--Check (Goes with clunky gears aka BMW Charm-no extra charge)!
2. RPM surge with no input from me-- What the f***?
3. RPM's cut out at low speed and in turns---Oh [email protected]#!

Post 7.0 so far

1. Smoooooooth throttle through all gears and rpm's
2. It surges ahead when I crack the throttle.
3. No cut out--Low speed maneuvering with confidence.

GTHack
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 10:10 am
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
I will NOT be upgrading. However, I do not have any surging, just a sensitive throttle which I find managable. I don't want to lose the "crack" that I get such a kick out of.
+1.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 10:24 am
Statmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTHack
I was reluctant to upgrade to 7.0 for the sake of a jumpy throttle. Then the following happened:

Pre 7.0
1. Jumpy throttle--Check (Goes with clunky gears aka BMW Charm-no extra charge)!
2. RPM surge with no input from me-- What the f***?
3. RPM's cut out at low speed and in turns---Oh [email protected]#!

Post 7.0 so far

1. Smoooooooth throttle through all gears and rpm's
2. It surges ahead when I crack the throttle.
3. No cut out--Low speed maneuvering with confidence.

GTHack
Thanks for the report! See you at the Ft Bragg trip.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 10:31 am
Statmaster

Rear oil change is NOT a warranty item. You would pay for that.

As for the 7.0 upgrade (well, now it's 7.0.1), that seems to be dependent on the dealer. If you have reported and documented a problem with your bike's behavior, it should be covered under warranty. If you are already in for a major service and they have your bike on the lift, I think it should also be free of charge. However, if you just walk in the door and want the upgrade and the dealer takes the hour it will take to get your bike hooked up to the GT-1 and the software to load (it takes 45 minutes to update the BMS-K), I would think you would pay for that. I wouldn't expect a dealer to occupy a mechanic's time of an hour for free when you could wait for a service interval to get the update.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 10:46 am
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Rear oil change is NOT a warranty item. You would pay for that.
Jeff,
I talked to my dealer today - they know nothing on necessity of changing the rear oil. No service bulletin from BMW here.
So to change the oil is a must or not? I saw a really bad picture on another forum of the failed BMW rear drive. But the shaft was from the right side of the bike.
TIA

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode