post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 7:54 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Laminar Lip for 2006 K1200GT

Just came across their site and saw this:
B1177C-K1200GT - 2006 -Clear US$ 79,- excl. shipping

Has anyone experience with this?

Grtz,
Erwin

'14 R1200GS Adventure LC - Racing Red uni matt - full options - Nav V ... where the road ends Adventure begins ...
'13 320dA Touring - Mineralgrau metallic ... Freude am Fahren ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 8:58 am

I've used the Laminar Lip with great success on another bike, but with the Cee Bailey on my GT I'm quite happy with the result. With the speed potential of this machine, I would be reluctant to use the Lip, as I know of one instance of a Lip being ripped off of a FJR at triple digit speeds.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 9:27 am

I've used one before, and it worked as advertised. But, BMW already ducted air behind the screen which pretty much eliminates the turbulence. While there is a LOT of air rushing over the top of the screen, its clean smooth air. So, other than extending the screen a couple of inches, I'm not sure the Lip would help. You'd probably be better off buying a screen the height you need, and skip the lip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 9:33 am
Statmaster

The Laminar Lip was the best thing I ever added to my K1200RS in terms of comfort. It made it so quiet, you could hear the plastic parts squeaking.

The air over the stock tall GT screen is really dirty in any position above the mid point (for someone as tall as I am - 6'3"), so I would bet this would help a lot.

Hey Erwin, do you have the short screen or the tall screen?

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 9:48 am
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
The air over the stock tall GT screen is really dirty ...
Jeff,

What is the meaning of the definition "dirty" air?
I also met a "clean air" in a post. Could you please clarify?
Is it noisy or what?
TIA

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 9:51 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Jeff,

I have the tall screen, 63 cm. I notice that if I move my head a few inches forward (and consequently a bit down) most of the noise disappears. But I like to sit upward as much as possible. Looking at the picture, the Laminar Lip will extend the screen for 1 or 2 inches and might just work.

I bet you've used the RS/Laminar lip combo at higher speeds. How was it attached to the screen?

Grtz,
Erwin

'14 R1200GS Adventure LC - Racing Red uni matt - full options - Nav V ... where the road ends Adventure begins ...
'13 320dA Touring - Mineralgrau metallic ... Freude am Fahren ...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 9:53 am
Statmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
Jeff,

What is the meaning of the definition "dirty" air?
I also met a "clean air" in a post. Could you please clarify?
Is it noisy or what?
TIA
Dirty air is turbulence caused as the air flows over the screen. When I have the BMW tall screen in any position above about the middle point, I get a lot of buffetting of my helmet. Clean air is smooth airflow over the screen.

The CeeBaileys has fixed that problem. But for someone who doesn't want to spend $200 for a new windshield could probably get by with something like the Laminar Lip

By the way, when are we getting more pictures of you and your bike riding around Russia? Or is it winter there already?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 9:57 am
Statmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ®win
I bet you've used the RS/Laminar lip combo at higher speeds. How was it attached to the screen?
I never had a problem with the dual-lock tabs that held the lip on (at all speeds). I had a friend who wasn't convinced and he asked Andy at Laminar Lip to provide him with the nylon bolts that are available as an option.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 10:02 am
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Dirty air is turbulence caused as the air flows over the screen. When I have the BMW tall screen in any position above about the middle point, I get a lot of buffetting of my helmet. Clean air is smooth airflow over the screen.

The CeeBaileys has fixed that problem. But for someone who doesn't want to spend $200 for a new windshield could probably get by with something like the Laminar Lip

By the way, when are we getting more pictures of you and your bike riding around Russia? Or is it winter there already?
O.K. Clear now Thanks a lot :-))
I have NO buffetting with my BMW tall screen.
Yes,
The season is over here - we will have BMW closing rally( and beer party) on the 7th of October, Saturday.
I posted some pics from my latest trip to the Black Sea and will post some about our summer rides later on. If you do not mind( the space). :-))

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 10:06 am
Statmaster

Don't worry about space. I just like to see pictures from riders in other parts of the world.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode