Esa - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 9:42 am Thread Starter
I'm riding

Thumbs up Esa

Visited our dealer for test ride of F800ST today for my wife. And I took her as pillion on my GT. Put ESA on "double-helmet" and the ride was fantastic. After we did about 200 km on KGT and FST and returned the bike, we started home and I forgot to switch ESA to "pillion" mode again as I rode alone in "one-helmet mode". The difference was huge!! The bike was "taller" and a bit nervous at low speed. I was puzzled "What had happened?" They changed the oil while we had a small chat with the sales rep - and my first idea was "It was impossible to change the bike changing the oil" :-)) ESA is really useful thing!

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 11:13 am
Telepathetic

I often forget to set the ESA for 2 up when the wife wants to ride. The ride quality is very different and feels soft when set for a solo rider and 2 are aboard. When I change the setting after having the wife dismount, I straddle the bike while I change the ESA. It is ummm, interesting to feel the bike rise up. Enough of that.

How about some comments on the F800ST. Did you ride it, if not, what were your wife's impressions? I haven't seen a F800 yet.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 12:49 pm
The Gov

I would love to know if you can "fine tune" the suspension. On my Wilbur shocks I had a spec sheet and new how many pounds per quarter turn based upon the rating on the spring, allowing me to set a mid-range for the remote preload ram to work from.

It would be nice to be able to dial in and set the sag up on the GT just rate for the rider and then let ESA deal with the rest for riding with a load or two up.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 12:59 pm Thread Starter
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by philspace
I would love to know if you can "fine tune" the suspension. On my Wilbur shocks I had a spec sheet and new how many pounds per quarter turn based upon the rating on the spring, allowing me to set a mid-range for the remote preload ram to work from.

It would be nice to be able to dial in and set the sag up on the GT just rate for the rider and then let ESA deal with the rest for riding with a load or two up.
Phil,
The suspension of F800 is adjustable. But not ESA, of course. We put the softest position as the pilot is light-weighted. And it was fine.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 1:14 pm Thread Starter
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowflyn
How about some comments on the F800ST. Did you ride it, if not, what were your wife's impressions? I haven't seen a F800 yet.
No, I did not ride the F800ST. I wanted to compare it to FZ6N but then I realised that I would still compare it to my KGT.
My wife adored it. She is ready to replace her CS by it. The bike is smooth, powerful, leans easily, turns on rails, has good wind protection, comfortable riding position, is stable at high speed, fine in filtering at low speed. BMW has made another great machine!
The bike we tested was "fully loaded" with options( for Russian market we have no choice): high screen, low seat, armoured hoses, ABS, heated grips, OEM alarm, aux socket, steering damper, main stand, board computer, fixation for side cases, white blinkers. And I saw she had enough power to follow me in overtakings, I could hardly catch her up in the straights, and she made turns GP-style and maintained 220 km/h. That's nice.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 1:55 pm

Quote:
I often forget to set the ESA for 2 up when the wife wants to ride. The ride quality is very different and feels soft when set for a solo rider and 2 are aboard. When I change the setting after having the wife dismount, I straddle the bike while I change the ESA. It is ummm, interesting to feel the bike rise up. Enough of that.

i rode 500 miles this past weekend with the wife and some filled saddlebags
and i never changed from 1-up ESA
hmmmmmmmm
i forgot
i didn't know it would make that much of a difference

funny thing.... the bike was STILL amazing set up "wrong."
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 1:58 pm
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
Phil,
The suspension of F800 is adjustable. But not ESA, of course. We put the softest position as the pilot is light-weighted. And it was fine.
Understand, my comments were regarding the GT and fine tuning the electronic suspension.

My wife is jonesing big time over the F800ST. The dealer doesn't know when they will have one and they warned her about the seat height, but if the ergo's work, she might be off her RT on an F800

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 10:05 pm
Telepathetic

Sorry to hijack, but anybody have a link to the F800 with some reviews. My daughter has a Honda F4i and the F800 just might suit her when she is ready for the next level.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2006, 7:48 am

Quote:
Sorry to hijack, but anybody have a link to the F800 with some reviews. My daughter has a Honda F4i and the F800 just might suit her when she is ready for the next level.
http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/clasqm/bmw.html
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2006, 9:18 am
Telepathetic

Thanks Doc.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode