49L top case question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2006, 2:49 am Thread Starter
Capn' Blowhard

49L top case question

Fellas,

I ordered a 49L (big) top case with my bike and it has finally arrived - but, I was told today by the dealer that the mounting bracket/kit didn't arrive with it (??).

I assumed that it was integral to the case itself I guess - does anyone have pics of this mounting bracket and how it connects to the rear rack or the case itself? They don't have any idea when that will arrive (few days, a week or two...)

I'm eager to hit the road for a trip to Big Bend I've had planned for a while, but can't pack for the week long venture until that dang case is on the bike...grrr....

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2006, 3:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus-6
Fellas,

I ordered a 49L (big) top case with my bike and it has finally arrived - but, I was told today by the dealer that the mounting bracket/kit didn't arrive with it (??).

I assumed that it was integral to the case itself I guess - does anyone have pics of this mounting bracket and how it connects to the rear rack or the case itself? They don't have any idea when that will arrive (few days, a week or two...)

I'm eager to hit the road for a trip to Big Bend I've had planned for a while, but can't pack for the week long venture until that dang case is on the bike...grrr....
To the best of my knowledge, the case doesn't need any mount bracket; it fit right on the GT and RT rear rack.

May be they meant the lock cylinder???
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2006, 3:50 am Thread Starter
Capn' Blowhard

Nope, they said they had the keyed lock for the bike along with the case (I wondered too and asked that very question).

So the thing just mounts to the rear rack? No mounting bracket? Makes me wonder if perhaps it's just not in yet and they're stalling...sigh.

'07 BMW K1200GT
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2006, 6:16 am
Veteran

My friend,

I have had the large top case from day 1 (June 5). I removed it from the shipping box myself. I can assure you, there is NOTHING else required. It just slips right on.

Out of the box, the case does not come with a lock set. So If you ordered a coded (or not) lock set (and that is a separate part), that would be the only add-on required.

Good luck! You must be damned excited! Enjoy the new bike. It's wicked!!

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2006, 6:26 am
Enthusiast

Your dealer should have ordered the mounting aids as well. They come as a complete set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	topcasemount.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	3584  

Grtz,
Erwin

'14 R1200GS Adventure LC - Racing Red uni matt - full options - Nav V ... where the road ends Adventure begins ...
'13 320dA Touring - Mineralgrau metallic ... Freude am Fahren ...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2006, 6:31 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
I removed it from the shipping box myself. I can assure you, there is NOTHING else required. It just slips right on.
Chris,

Look close and you should see some rubber mounts sticked onto the rack. This prevents the topcase from moving / rubbing.

The installation instruction says:

The following are also required:
1 set of lock barrels with keys
protective film for luggage rack and grab handle:
Use only for motorcycle K 1200 GT

Grtz,
Erwin

'14 R1200GS Adventure LC - Racing Red uni matt - full options - Nav V ... where the road ends Adventure begins ...
'13 320dA Touring - Mineralgrau metallic ... Freude am Fahren ...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2006, 8:10 am
Statmaster

There is no bracket. The case fits into the rear rack. You can get the dealer to key your lock on the topcase by getting a lock cylinder that's close and grinding the excess off. Talk to Rob at BMW or North Dallas in Plano.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2006, 10:28 am

Top Case

The day I bought my bike is the day I bought my Large Top Case. The dealer took it off of a RT that was on the sales floor, installed my lock, and away I went. No bracket required.

GT Hack
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2006, 5:38 pm Thread Starter
Capn' Blowhard

Went over there this afternoon and we had the case on within 2 minutes. They had the lock already keyed too.

Not sure what the whole bracket chatter was about but it doesn't matter now - the case is great! I went and ran errands straight away and got to pack it up a bit at the store. I like it.

There was no film kit though - or, if there was one, they didn't care to give it to me and it got tossed with the box it came in I'm sure. I have no idea - I'm just happy to have my case (can you tell that I'm less than thrilled with my dealership?). Oh well....

I did happen to ask if they anyone had performed the 7.0 update and the service manager said "I wouldn't do it - they're having issues with it still." Yeah, okay....so I'm not thrilled at having to convince them to perform the update when I head back in for service.

Totally unrelated note - got a few new toys installed last night (small tank bag from Pirates Lair and a Run N Lites frame out back). I like the Run N Lites - turned out nice. I ended up getting a little creative with the install and have all of the wires hidden away. Install was pretty simple - if anyone ever picks one up and has any questions about installing it, let me know and I'll help out with pics or whatever I can do in email.

Love the bike! My poor Ducati - she was ridden daily until the GT got here...now it's about a 1:6 ratio of Ducati:GT lovin'

No problems at all in 600 miles (I know, only 600 miles in 3 weeks - I can hit the road now that I have my top case!) - the throttle has smoothed out (meaning the rider has adapted) a lot and isn't as big an issue. I did remove all slack from the cable and that helped a ton.

I can hear lots of driveline noise now with the Baileys windhshield - in fact when it's up, it's so quiet that you can hear the seat heater or grip heater switches click when you move them - at 65mph. Creepy quiiet - but very relaxed.

'07 BMW K1200GT
K7 GSX-R 1000

Last edited by Nexus-6; Oct 6th, 2006 at 5:48 pm.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2006, 9:21 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ®win
Your dealer should have ordered the mounting aids as well. They come as a complete set.
Erwin,

I did not receive the "mounting aids". First I've seen of them. I must admit the current "landing pads" are showing some scuffing. This would cover that and eliminate any further. What colour are the rubber pads? Black? Clear?

Would you mind passing on the part number for these "mounting aids" as well?

Thanks for this.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode