New guy looking at a 06 GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2006, 10:43 am Thread Starter

New guy looking at a 06 GT

OK - so I'm coming from an 05 R1200GS. My dealer has a fully loaded 06 K1200GT on the floor that's he's really willing to deal on. The only thing I see different on the 06 to 07 is the new brake system. My GS had the servo brakes so I'm used to those - anything else? Also I've read issues with the GT seat pushing you forward, just like the GS seat did. On the GS you could put the front of the seat in the "high" position and the back in the "low" position and it would solve that problem. Can this be done on the GT? One final question, can anyone tell me what the alternator puts out on the GT? I thought I'd read it was in the 900 watt area, but I can't find that now.

Thanks all for the help.

Bob Fynbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2006, 10:59 am
Addict

945 wat altinator.

Seats are a personal thing. I found what works for me does not fit most other people.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2006, 11:08 am

I found that you can trim the rubber stops on the bottom of the seat, this helped to keep me from sliding forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2006, 11:54 am
Enthusiast

Is he willing to deal, because of some of the complaints of the 06 GT new bike bugs?

I have read a lot of posts of problems with the 06. I would go for the 07 hoping the bugs were worked out by now.

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2006, 12:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizbz
Is he willing to deal, because of some of the complaints of the 06 GT new bike bugs?

I have read a lot of posts of problems with the 06. I would go for the 07 hoping the bugs were worked out by now.
Other than the bugs from the software that were remedied in v7.0 what bugs are you taking about?

Brian
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2006, 4:39 pm

go for it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcopro
OK - so I'm coming from an 05 R1200GS. My dealer has a fully loaded 06 K1200GT on the floor that's he's really willing to deal on. The only thing I see different on the 06 to 07 is the new brake system. My GS had the servo brakes so I'm used to those - anything else? Also I've read issues with the GT seat pushing you forward, just like the GS seat did. On the GS you could put the front of the seat in the "high" position and the back in the "low" position and it would solve that problem. Can this be done on the GT? One final question, can anyone tell me what the alternator puts out on the GT? I thought I'd read it was in the 900 watt area, but I can't find that now.

Thanks all for the help.

Bob Fynbo

someone elses deal is not everyone's.

The '07's are higher $'s. Stability control is retrofitiable if ordered that way prior to Feb '07. Not available on '06's (yet - maybe aftermarket later).

I demo'd an '06 and would not hesitate to buy one today if I had the cash.

Only thing about buying now is tying up money and not getting much use of the bike because of winter approaching but then you can spend all winter polishing it up.

I don't think you will regret buying the '06 vrs. waiting.

Cheers.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2006, 10:24 am
Addict-oholic

Buy it if you can get a deal. so far, there has been almost no dealing on the GT. The difference between the 06 & 07 is minor. The "bugs" have been fixed by the installation of ver 7 software. I love my 06 GT, and keep riding it. Election day is the "official" end of the season for me, when we take an annual ride fron NYC to the Berkshires so one of my friends can vote up there. 4 or 5 hours in one day. Not bad considering we have gone in rain, cold and even snow showers.

After that, whenver there is a sunny day in the winter for a short 50 mile round trip to warm up the engine and get some coffee in CT is our stategy for the "off" season.

Where in Ma are you locatred? I see MV, but where do you buy and service the bike?

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2006, 11:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizbz

Statements like this are proof that drinking is not good for you.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2006, 2:33 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTdavey
Statements like this are proof that drinking is not good for you.
And never, ever, eat the brown LSD

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2006, 7:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickr

Only thing about buying now is tying up money and not getting much use of the bike because of winter approaching but then you can spend all winter polishing it up.

Cheers.
Why can't you ride a KGT in the winter? I've been looking at the RT and loving how "all season" the beemers seem to be... I've been being tempted by the KGT the last couple days but I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to drive it in the winter. Please help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode