Auto stop of turning lights - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2006, 11:43 am Thread Starter

Auto stop of turning lights

Hello,
do you if it is possible to turn off the auto switch off feature of the turning lights.
On my bikes the turning lights are stopping after a while (seems to be after a certain distance) and it is very annoying for me.

Thanks

Stephane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2006, 1:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondy
Hello,
do you if it is possible to turn off the auto switch off feature of the turning lights.
On my bikes the turning lights are stopping after a while (seems to be after a certain distance) and it is very annoying for me.

Thanks

Stephane
I do not believe that they are switchable. You are right about distance though - roughly 600 feet.

Brian
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2006, 3:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondy
Hello,

Thanks

Stephane
why would you want to turn off that feature?
haven't you been angered by oblivous 2 and 4-wheel riders/drivers when they ride down the road for miles with their turn signals on

we've ALL done it
BMW is helping you avoid that embarrassment

believe me.... you DO want that feature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2006, 5:02 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
why would you want to turn off that feature?
haven't you been angered by oblivous 2 and 4-wheel riders/drivers when they ride down the road for miles with their turn signals on

we've ALL done it
BMW is helping you avoid that embarrassment

believe me.... you DO want that feature

Yes. however an alternate scenario exist. Lets say you want the blinker to stay on for a longer period, not a simple turn, but maybe some complicated merge or some such. Just when your making your move, the blinker goes off, and the car one lane over takes this that your no longer "getting over" and steps on it...

I have been learning to hit the blinker for every move I perform even if its four times for several lane changes in less than a few hundered yards. I don't alaways want a machine to second guess me........ I think with these kind of "features", manufacturers really need to let the owner decide whats right for him, and allow disabling these features.

IN reality, I do like the self cancelling blinkers, but there are some that don't.

My .02

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2006, 6:06 pm

excellent 0.02.
i have learned to keep pressing the blinker when making those "complicated" moves to counteract the self-canceling feature

in the end, i'd rather have it than not...
several years back i went on a 2,500 mile trip in colorado with some friend.
i was on my '96 R1100RT..... (NO self-canceling turn signals)
i had some "rudimentary" GPS and was, thus, leading the entire time

the BMW tank bag (the first of many $400.00 units) was so big as to make it impossble for me to SEE my turn signal indicators on the dash (remember, i'm only 5'6")
the endpoint of all of this:
i ROUTINELY left the signals on for MILES and MILES.... like some geezer from Florida (that i am, as of yet, NOT :p :p :p )
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2006, 9:54 pm
Looking for better limits...

Heh...something that Harley Davidson apparently got right.

They self-cancel at a pre-deterimed point, but if you double-click the turn signal button, they stay on until you cancel.

As Greg pointed out, though, you can extend the time/distance by re-applying the push on the button.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2006, 12:54 am Thread Starter

I have tried to re-push on the button but it seems that it is not extending the distance.
Double click does not work either.

On motorways in France where you can drive 90 mph, this distance is very short and it is very annoying.

I will contact my BMW dealer to know more about it.

Stephane
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2006, 2:14 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
As Greg pointed out, though, you can extend the time/distance by re-applying the push on the button.
You can re-activate the turn signal after it self-cancelled. You cannot extend the period by pushing the button while the signal is still on. On all my previous bikes (BMW's) you could prolong this period.

Grtz,
Erwin

'14 R1200GS Adventure LC - Racing Red uni matt - full options - Nav V ... where the road ends Adventure begins ...
'13 320dA Touring - Mineralgrau metallic ... Freude am Fahren ...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2006, 2:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ®win
You can re-activate the turn signal after it self-cancelled. You cannot extend the period by pushing the button while the signal is still on. On all my previous bikes (BMW's) you could prolong this period.
Wonder why BMW got rid of the old nice feature...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2006, 9:49 am

If I'm in a situation where I really want to extend the blinker time (like when I'm leading a group, and want to make sure they see the turn signals), I just tap the cancel button, and immediately re-push the turn signal button. If done quickly, those following don't even know that you cancelled for a moment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode