Oil Display - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2006, 10:13 am Thread Starter

Unhappy Oil Display

Hello,

My oil display is constantly displaying 3 dashes ‘---‘ . I have not seen the Oil and Tick display for over a week. The oil check symbol also came on. I checked it but it seemed ok. Although I have to admit the dipstick is very hard to read. Anyone else experiencing these problems? Thanks in advance Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2006, 11:55 am

The search button is your friend.
Use it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2006, 11:59 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTdavey
The search button is your friend.
Use it.
Replies like that are useless. Many times, the search function and the limits of the MySQL backend and full text indexing of forums such as this make the search function extremely difficult to use. 3 letter word searches are not allowed, and I have been hit with this problem myself a few times. Forums are about communication and being short or snide with members limits that communication.

Quote:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : oil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2006, 12:21 pm

I have experienced similar occurences with the oil display. The other day, I started the bike and rode for a mile or so and when I stopped, the oil display gave me a check mark. I got on the freeway and within 5 miles the <!> came on. When I exited the freeway near my home and came to a stop, the display again showed a check mark. When I got to my house, I checked the oil level with the dipstick and it was right at the lower limit line on the dipstick which shows that the oil is down a half quart. I guess the system must be very sensitive. My assumption is that the system measures oil pressure and while riding at freeway speeds the pressure was lower than at local street riding speeds. I would suggest that you add about 2-4 ounces of oil and see if that fixes the problem. I have now added a full quart to my GT since I took delivery in May. I am approaching 6000 miles and will be bringing the bike in for a service next week. The dealers say that this is an acceptable level of consumption.

Pete D.
Simi Valley, CA
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2006, 12:23 pm

Must agree with Coastie here GTDavey.......... I often see the short curt replies such as yours.

If all you have to say is "search" then it's best to keep it to your self because someone else here that enjoys replying in a proper way will do so.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2006, 2:13 pm Thread Starter

Pdamski many thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I find the dipstick very hard to read but as I have nearly 4000 miles I will add a few ounces of oil. Hopefully that should cure and I will see a nice oil (tick) again.

Gtdavey took your very direct advice and did a search for ‘oil’ and then ‘oil display’ but I have to say Pdamski’s answer was more comprehensive and offered better advice.

Ian

Last edited by iangill; Oct 7th, 2006 at 3:00 pm.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2006, 3:10 pm
Enthusiast

Read page 45 of your owners manual!!!
The check mark means the oil level is AOK
The engine must idle for at least 30 seconds, must be at full operating temp, and must be level.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2006, 5:20 pm
"DELIVERS"

Amazing....a $20,000 bike with a hard-to-read dipstick, forcing one to rely on electronics to check oil level.... :wtf

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2006, 5:29 pm
Addict-oholic

You old GT'ers are just jealous that we have electronics to read at the dash, instead of crawling on our knees to see the little window that is usually hard to read!!!!And you have to put it on the centerstand to get a true reading.

The dipstick is very easy to read. It is more like an auto, plus the regular read out at the dash.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2006, 7:24 pm
"DELIVERS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
You old GT'ers are just jealous that we have electronics to read at the dash, instead of crawling on our knees to see the little window that is usually hard to read!!!!And you have to put it on the centerstand to get a true reading.

The dipstick is very easy to read. It is more like an auto, plus the regular read out at the dash.
Oh..so it's not as hard to read as others say....good.....also good that you have a blue one!

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode