Another step backwards in Speedometer accuracy - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2006, 7:44 pm Thread Starter

Another step backwards in Speedometer accuracy

as i begin the 2-3 week wait to get my GT back from it's new brake master cylinder... i was wondering just WHY the '07 GT has a speedo which is much LESS accurate than that of my '05 R1200GS?

60 indicated is 55.4.... etc...
a bit more accurate than some BMWs of times past... but, NOT as accurate as any of the '05s i know of
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2006, 8:57 pm
Addict-oholic

I did a speedo check this week. At a reading of 100, the gps says 96.3. At a reading of 75, the gps, says 72.5. My KRS was always off by 4 or 5 mph.
My 2 audi cars are always 3 or 4 mph off. The built in gps does not give mph. I use my Nuvi to verify!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2006, 10:16 pm
Veteran

Dunno.

My '06 is reading far better than my old RT did, and it was maybe 10% and 2-3 mph off (high)?

Oh....the 2006 GT's master cylinders didn't leak either. Just when they took off the booster servos did they begin to leak on the 07's (Like I didn't run out to the garage and "you-made-me-look" after my day's outing).

Hurts to be a beta tester for the 2007's, no? :p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2006, 1:14 am
Addict

Greg,

My 06 is only off about 2 mph faster than actual based on my GPS. When I have my GPS mounted I find myself using it instead of my speedo to check how fast I'm going. On my K11LT I was able to calibrate my speedo so that it was bang on actual v. indicated using a little math, a strobe tach on the rear wheel and slight twist of the indicated speed adjuster within the speedometer assembly. I trust the new KGT has a similar calibration method but I'll wait until it really starts to bug me before I tear into the speedometer. Or better yet, wait until someone else tries it first!

As for brakes, etc. I'm starting to think that buying the 06 was good idea after all.

John
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2006, 9:30 am
Addict-oholic

John, I agree with you that the 06 brakes are tried and true. Hopefully the master cylinder leak is not a real bug in the 07's.

We have been riding these bikes for quite a bit of time. I go out and ride as often as I could since my bike arrived in June.

We may been a beta tester for the entire bike, but I think that it was worth it. The only problem I had was fixed with ver 7 software.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2006, 5:08 pm
Veteran

Interesting Greg as I have pondered that same question. We all know about the LT (and fix), the GS was a refreshing surprise with it almost 'balls on' accurate with the GPS, and the GT back to the 10% error. My simple answer is this:
1. WTF knows?
2. GS engineering dept wouldn't put up with that BS
3. GS got lucky
4. Adventure riders are gnarly and won't put up with that crap
5. All of the above
6. None of the above
7. An insidious plan by Garmin (et al) to have people buy GPS's

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2006, 5:21 pm
Addict-oholic

Somehow, this thread is becoming funny! Greg , you are hilarious. I am sorry that your GT is in for repairs. Maybe your dealer can adjust the speedo.

I just know that when my speedo gives me a reading , it is a bit short, that same as all my cares.

BTW, I just came back from a glorious fall foliage day trip to the Hudson Valley near the Croton reservoir. I did a circumnavigation of the reservoir(25 miles) on real backroads, not dirt, but not smooth. I was able to keep my bike in 2nd or 3rd and ride smoothly. I was not able to do this previously, until I got version 7. Next week, I am taking the bike to Cliff's BMW in Danbury to do a little farkeling (motolights ,autocomm) as Manhatan BMW will not do any aftermarket stuff to the GT unless BMW gives them the OK, as they are the factory dealer, and they do not want to play with the Canbus with any form of relay etc...

I will post a picture or two when I get a chance.

Hope your bike is feeling better.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2006, 5:27 pm
Veteran

Hey, I get the credit for 'funny'. Besides, Greg's not HILarious, he's GREGarious.

Still trying to sell that one Greg!

Oh heck, Westchester County. I grew up in Orange County but think we may have covered that already. I had the 7.0 upgrade . . . I can actually make a slow turn now without feathering the clutch!

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2006, 5:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
Interesting Greg as I have pondered that same question. We all know about the LT (and fix), the GS was a refreshing surprise with it almost 'balls on' accurate with the GPS, and the GT back to the 10% error. My simple answer is this:
1. WTF knows?
2. GS engineering dept wouldn't put up with that BS
3. GS got lucky
4. Adventure riders are gnarly and won't put up with that crap
5. All of the above
6. None of the above
7. An insidious plan by Garmin (et al) to have people buy GPS's
freakin' hysterical
i LOVE the part about GS riders not putting up with BMW crap
that is probably the most accurate of all probabilities
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2006, 5:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
it is a bit short, that same as all my cares.
hmmmmm
let's not even talk about me naked

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode