Both very pleased with GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2006, 4:38 am Thread Starter

Both very pleased with GT

After a 6 day tour of France with decent mileage each day my wife and I have finally found the bike we are both happy with. You name it we rode it before.

I have added a Cee Bailey +4 +3 screen, an Autocom pro avi, and use a Garmin 2610 mounted on the left handlebar redundant mirror hole. I have a BMW 49l top box and the Bmw tankbag. The bike came with Bridgestones 020's.

We had strong crosswinds for the first day and the screen struggled to cope but it was better than the oem tall screen. We were both well sheltered apart from the windblast that comes from below the mirrors and kept much warmer than we thought. The rest of the journey the screen was brilliant. At a constant 90mph on cruise control for 1 hour on the motorway with the screen raised only a few inches we had no problems with buffeting and were much more relaxed afterwards because of that. Great.
The Autocom worked well, with our voice and music volume going up to match the speed noise. Bike to Bike is a Kenwood Tk model powered off the autocom unit and tucked into the fairing alongside the toolkit (what toolkit ???) box using velcro.
I had no stability problems with all the boxes and the tankbag fitted but one of the panniers became tough to open and I had to lever the latch slightly to make it lift. The tankbag fits very well on the bike and is dry and big when expanded. It seems pretty robust too. The only fault I have with it is that it sounds the horn or switches on the heated grips at full lock, which can be funny or a pain.

My wife is the first to complain if the seat is no good and we have used an Airhawk or had seats re-modelled without a great deal of success in the past. The GT got a thumbs up big time from her and the space between us was good too. The top box backrest is just right for her. Her only complaint was the footpegs as she has bad knees, I have a lowering kit on order. My seat was fine too, I thought when I got the bike I would find it too narrow but the foam suits me well. I still do not like the tipping forward feel it has though, but I can handle that.

Perfomance is the real killer on this bike though. Having all the comfort we want has always been available (LT or Goldwing) but not combined with the power and handling I want. This bike just walks away from corners and overtakes with a little sniff of the throttle and I hardly needed to change gear on those fast N roads. It is so smooth on the power until 6000rpm when it starts to growl.
It tracks round corners with a full load on 2 helmets - normal settings with minimal wallowing and we never bottomed out or got near to it. Plush, supple and firm on normal setting. I ride fast and smooth and did not need the sport setting once. The suspension control adds to the ease of riding this bike and the way you get off the other end. If I was struggling with low power, heavy weight and saggy suspension it would be quite draining to ride quickly for hundres of miles on French N and D roads.

I have no real complaints about the 020's but I am changing them after 3000miles for Continental Sport Attacks tomorrow following some bad sharp stone damage front and rear. I will post a report on the Conti's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2006, 5:24 am

excellent report
my wife loves the GT as well

may i ask:

1. what mount did you use for that mirror hole/2610 install?

2. how do you like the autocom pro avi.... mine is being installed this week

thanks so much in advance

great write-up
we appreciate it greatly
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2006, 5:58 am Thread Starter

Hi

The mount is a one that I bought from adventure motorcycling and I had it machined down
by a small amount so it slides in Ok. It was fitted to my 1200RT before. This link gives an idea of it. Its just a Ram ball on a tube with a nut at the bottem. I will get a pic of it one I have the bike cleaned up and out of the garage later.
It puts the gps in line of sight to one side of the instruments. You can have a longer or shorter arm to suit.

http://www.adventure-motorcycling.co...s/?category=45

The Pro-Avi is a real step up for me from an Active - 7. Sound quality, fade from rider to pillion, auto adjust volume to ambient noise, better noise canceling and vox operation etc.
I am told a bluetooth adapter will be here once they complete the testing, which because its Autocom will be a little while yet as they are rigourous. It will be designed to fit the Pro Avi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2006, 7:37 am

thanks so much for that link
i appreciate it

i'm so glad about the AVi issues as well
i DO hope that BLUETOOTH module comes out soon
as my nav iii has caller id on the screen for the cell phone, etc
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2006, 10:43 am
Addict-oholic

Greg,

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...ght=nuvi+mount

see this link for how I used the ztechnik mount in the unused mirror hole

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2006, 11:33 am

perfect
i just bought those mounts as they sell them at my dealer
i was thinking that the platform wouldn't really be that stable

we'll have to see
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2006, 3:03 pm
Addict-oholic

Greg, unless your gps or device to be mounted wieghs a lot, this is perfect and easy to install.
(2 minutes)

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2006, 3:41 pm

excellent
then.....
that's exactly how i'll do it

i appreciate the info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode