Anyone here using Veil? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2006, 10:43 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Anyone here using Veil?

Like this stuff?

Seems our local CA CHP in central Calif. is getting Lidar (laser) training around here from some Utah State Trooper. This was on the radio yesterday and training is going on currently. The CHP car and the UST are using the same GM Camaro(?) that I saw except the color is different: CHP is black and white, and the Utah Trooper is mostly white with gold lettering along the front fender. Same light bar on roof which seemed oddly large for some reason. Pretty sleek looking cars too.

Looks like the Ka radar detector days may be waning for CA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2006, 12:06 pm

I wouldn't suggest using any passive device, such as a coating.

If you're really concerned about LIDAR, there are several VERY effective counter measures against it. In my cars, I use the K-40 (front & rear) system. I've driven into a LIDAR trap a few times, and it prevents them from getting a lock, until you're very close. Plenty of time to slow down.

I haven't felt the need to put it on my motorcyles, YET. I've only been targeted once with LIDAR while riding a motorcyle, in the Atlanta area, and I must have been going slow enough to not warrant his attention, as he never even gave me a second look.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2006, 12:15 pm
Addict

GMack and Ruben,

I've never heard of LIDAR before so I did a quick Google and "Holy &%[email protected]!" :wtf

Coming up with a preventative device to either block or fool this thing is going to take some work. Sounds like a job for the "Myth Busters".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2006, 4:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by John06KGT
GMack and Ruben,

I've never heard of LIDAR before so I did a quick Google and "Holy &%[email protected]!" :wtf

Coming up with a preventative device to either block or fool this thing is going to take some work. Sounds like a job for the "Myth Busters".
My K-40 in the cars works great, they don't get a reading until you're almost on top of them, giving you plenty of time to check your speed. On our GT's, mounting space is really at a premium on the front, not sure where I'd mount the sending unit. Still chewing on it.

In my case, I really don't need defense on the bike, as when I'm in traffic I just flow with it, and that's where it's most likely to be used. Out in the boondocks, where I'm likely to be going a few MPH over the posted limit, I've never seen anything but radar. Even radar could get you if there's nobody ahead of you to get zapped with instant on radar, but if you check your speed when seeing oncoming traffic, AND have a good radar detector, you really cut the odds down of contributing the the revenue collection efforts.

I haven't had a speeding ticket in at least thirty years or so, but I've been using the best radar detectors that I can find ever since way back when the original whistler came out. That thing was huge compared to modern detectors, and back then they only had X-band, but it worked like a charm.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2006, 8:02 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

After doing my homework, I'm sort of leaning towards this thingy. The auto-shutoff after 5 seconds is intriguing so as to not warrant suspicion.

Only problem is that it is not legal for ownership in Kalifornia. Might not ship one here, but it kind'a makes me want one more....

Not that I ever speed, break any laws, nor need to feel a rush of GT adrenaline.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode