stuck starter!!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2006, 9:05 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Angry stuck starter!!!

So, I leave work to go get dinner, come back (loooong night, but that is another story!) and as soon as I turn off the bike, the starter engages!

It just cranks and cranks and cranks! I tried bumping the starter button, with no success. I finally turned the key back on and it starts right up and runs. The interlock seems to work, as the starter isn't grinding while it is running. I didn't try combinations of having it in gear with the sidestand down, but might go back out there and see what that does. I had to leave it running and pull the battery cover and quick shut it off and disconnect the battery.

I'll find out later tonight if disconnecting the battery will reset anything.

I'll keep you updated on any changes.

I love new technology!!! NOT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2006, 9:49 pm Thread Starter
Addict

update

Well, now I have no faith the starter isn't engaged even when the engine is running.

In gear, clutch in, and when I hook up the battery, it starts cranking. IF it uses a relay, I'm going with that being stuck closed. I don't think it is gettng a signal to crank, it is just struck cranking. I'm not convinced the starter isn't engaged with the engine running, and it makes me skittish to drive it home.

Anyone had this problem with a new CANbus bike?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2006, 8:02 am

I had a similar thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago, except the problem occured during start rather than shut down.

The bike had started normally when I left my house. I stopped about 15 minutes later for gas. Got ready to go...ignition on, sidestand down (trans. in neutral), push the start button, and although the engine does not start, the starter just keeps cranking. At first I thought it was my imagination. Turned the ignition off...starter still cranks. Hit the kill switch...starter still cranks!

I think I turned the ignition on and off again, and may have partially removed the key...I don't remember exactly. At any rate, the cranking stopped, and when I turned the ignition on and hit the start button again, everything was normal.

As it happened, I was on my way to the dealer for the 7.0 upgrade, and told him about the problem as soon as I arrived. He was stumped, and the computer didn't show any fault codes. I'm no electronics wizard, but I don't understand how the starter could crank with both the ignition and kill switch off, especially since under normal conditions, the starter won't crank with the kill switch in the off position.

It hasn't happened since and I was beginning to think I was crazy. I would really appreciate any insight this group can offer.

Bud
2006 K1200GT - Graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2006, 10:58 am

I've got RH switchgear intermittently failing on my GT. Symptoms are random no start, no kill and constant starter engaged. Replacement switchgear being fitted. Apparently there are some problems with the switchgear on alot of new BM's not just GTs.

As far as I know , nothing to do with software upgrades as mine coincided with version 7.1 being loaded.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2006, 5:06 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc916
I had a similar thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago, except the problem occured during start rather than shut down.

The bike had started normally when I left my house. I stopped about 15 minutes later for gas. Got ready to go...ignition on, sidestand down (trans. in neutral), push the start button, and although the engine does not start, the starter just keeps cranking. At first I thought it was my imagination. Turned the ignition off...starter still cranks. Hit the kill switch...starter still cranks!

I think I turned the ignition on and off again, and may have partially removed the key...I don't remember exactly. At any rate, the cranking stopped, and when I turned the ignition on and hit the start button again, everything was normal.

As it happened, I was on my way to the dealer for the 7.0 upgrade, and told him about the problem as soon as I arrived. He was stumped, and the computer didn't show any fault codes. I'm no electronics wizard, but I don't understand how the starter could crank with both the ignition and kill switch off, especially since under normal conditions, the starter won't crank with the kill switch in the off position.

It hasn't happened since and I was beginning to think I was crazy. I would really appreciate any insight this group can offer.
Well, My theory is a stuck starter relay. I tried reseting everything, and left the battery disconnected overnight. No help. I think the starter relay has welded itself closed, and nothing short of replacing it, (wacking it with a hammer, if I could get to it, would get me home, but not fix it) or disconnecting it from the starter motor will get me home. I am sitting at the office now waiting the 50 minutes to get a tow truck here.

I'm pretty convinced at this point it isn't a "signal" issue, but the relay itself, so as it stands the starter is connected straight to the battery. We'll see what the "experts" at San Fran BMW have to say.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 7:21 am

I posted a similar reaction back in July, when I had the same problem after a long hard ride: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5208

It didn't happen again since then...

Rgds

Luc
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 7:37 am

Happened to me once on the S model, but never again.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 1:41 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider
Happened to me once on the S model, but never again.
So there are the incidents I was hoping to find!

What did you do to resolve it when it was happening?

I understand the "luck" of the key on and off, but mine would not reset!!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 12:27 am Thread Starter
Addict

Okay,

I promised an update, so here you go:

It was the starter relay. The only relay on the bike, and bad luck got it! I got the bike back last Friday and the guys at SF BMW did me right. They replaced the relay and the starter as a precaution. (There is no telling how fast the thing was spun up before I discovered the problem.)

I'm very happy with their service. I think I've found a new dealer for my service.
Thanks for any input you might have had while I was stuck!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 7:16 am
Veteran

Luckily, mine has not had any problems...yet. Only the one time I flubbed up trying to start in in front of "Those other brand people."

Just in case it should ever surface for others, did they say where the starter relay is located?

It would have been neat if BMW had included a wiring diagram in their service DVD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode