Continental Sport Attacks - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2006, 2:02 pm Thread Starter

Continental Sport Attacks

I have had these fitted today and put a few miles on them to scrub them in. They are the sports model in Continentals range.

In comparison to the BT020 the most noticable first change is more stability and lack of the weave that I got with the 020's. I can hold a line better and they are less affected by the road surface.

They tip into corners very nicely and have that sports tyre confidence from the first corner.

Early days yet and I will post more reviews after a few more miles if anyone interested.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2006, 2:58 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadham
I have had these fitted today and put a few miles on them to scrub them in. They are the sports model in Continentals range.

In comparison to the BT020 the most noticable first change is more stability and lack of the weave that I got with the 020's. I can hold a line better and they are less affected by the road surface.

They tip into corners very nicely and have that sports tyre confidence from the first corner.

Early days yet and I will post more reviews after a few more miles if anyone interested.

WOuld like to know how they workout....

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2006, 12:09 am
Let's Ride

My bike came with Z 6's, but I just ordered my third set of Continental Sport Attacks. I'm getting about 6,000 miles per set (only got 4,500 miles on my Z 6's). I like the feel, the traction, the wear, the price and the look. Have you tried the Dyna Beads? http://www.innovativebalancing.com/ I haven't balanced my tires since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2006, 2:06 am

Quote:

Yours is sport attack and not road attack? Do they make sport attack for our K12GT? I meant the type "B" or "C" thing.

How much?

Thanks.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2006, 2:27 am Thread Starter

LA-GT

My dealer contacted Continental before fitting - The Road Attack and Sport Attack are recommended fitments for the K1200GT. (Confirmed on their www site)

The Sport Attack does not need a special fitment and the standard tyres can be fitted.

The Road Attack is recommended to have a front tyre specific to the K1200GT but the rear is standard.

Both tyres have the same speed load rating.

I always question the need for special fitment tyres and I would ask any tyre manufacturer what is wrong with their standard tyres if they don't work on a K1200GT or similar.
Take Bridgestone 020's - the 'U' (universal) tyre can be fitted on most bikes without problem yet they specify specific tyres for many bikes. These are often a few pounds more expensive - for what. Your choice.
Some bikes need a specific tyre to deal with weight or handling problems such as an LT, Goldwing, or Pan European ST1300.

UK cost fitted and balanced on bike = £215
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2006, 2:34 am Thread Starter

My bike came with Z 6's, but I just ordered my third set of Continental Sport Attacks. I'm getting about 6,000 miles per set

If I get that many miles I will be shocked - you sure your not on Road Attacks
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2006, 6:08 pm
Let's Ride

My bad, I have Continental Road Attacks. I anxious to her how the "Sport" Attacks work for you.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 2:33 pm Thread Starter

Now done 800 miles on these tyres and am pretty happy with them but I feel I have more riding to do before I am convinced they are a good tyre for the GT.

Unfortunatly this is because most of the miles I have done have been in the rain or on wet roads.

I have been on a weekend away loaded up with pillion and luggage and found the tyres gripped very well and were stable. On my own the same result in the wet. So as wet tyres they are good.

I will wait till I get some dry roads which at this time of the year in England is not likely.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2006, 12:03 pm Thread Starter

I can now recommend these tyres for use on the K1200GT. They provide a really stable or neutral feel and do not try to tip in too quick, yet once told what do do they turn fast.
The grip is superb and I am very happy with the feel from them on dry roads. They 'roll' very nicely.In the wet they grip with confidence and I felt much more in control than with the BT020 oem tyres.

With a pillion and heavy luggage they are also fine. I did not notice any problems with the handling and it seems these tyres can cope with all round use on this bike as Continental state.

Too early for mileage estimates but I am hoping for 3000 from the rear and it looks like it will make it. I may consider using a Sport Attack front and Road Attack rear for summer use next year as I understand Continental say they do work together.

With my Esa set up for rider and luggage I now have a rocking sports bike with power and a nice tourer as well.

The Remus helps as well.

Nice.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2006, 1:39 pm
Noob

Quote:
I can now recommend these tyres for use on the K1200GT. They provide a really stable or neutral feel and do not try to tip in too quick, yet once told what do do they turn fast.
The grip is superb and I am very happy with the feel from them on dry roads. They 'roll' very nicely.In the wet they grip with confidence and I felt much more in control than with the BT020 oem tyres.

With a pillion and heavy luggage they are also fine. I did not notice any problems with the handling and it seems these tyres can cope with all round use on this bike as Continental state.

Too early for mileage estimates but I am hoping for 3000 from the rear and it looks like it will make it. I may consider using a Sport Attack front and Road Attack rear for summer use next year as I understand Continental say they do work together.

With my Esa set up for rider and luggage I now have a rocking sports bike with power and a nice tourer as well.

The Remus helps as well.

Nice.
Nice report Wadham i to feel the 020's are old hat and intend to fitt conti road attack this week. your report has just cemented my feelings that way........brilliant bike crap tyres (020's ).. i to will report back in a few week time, i found the 020's feel loose and quite worring on wet bends :wtf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode