More on farkling - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2006, 9:52 pm Thread Starter
Strafist

More on farkling

Well, I'm pretty much done with the first bunch, had to work on placement of the speakers for the autocomm and something isn't right with the Valentine 1. I think it prolly is just a connection on one of the phone cord plugs. Mayhaps I didn't seat one well when crimping it on. I did make dayem sure the colors ended up on the right end of the plugs. When you fire the V1 up, the lights go thru the diagnostics and then the screen goes dead. I consider it a blessing that's the only bug to work out.

Here's a few more pix:

I had a tech session to go to today with BBQ! I wanted desperately to ride, so I got up at 5 ayem to put the Motolights on and switch them from the Phoenix switch on the handlebars. I didn't want to run all the grounds from the Motolights and the Phoenex to the ground bus so I soldered them together and then used a large gauge wire to the bus. I solder large wires together, after tinning both real good, by laying them on top of each other and heating them with the soldering gun. This forms a real purdy solder joint that is easily shrink wrapped. An old man taught me this trick, but it's a real pain to do if you can't find some way to hold them parallel.

Here's the Painless all finito. Not a bad rat's nest at all. Most of the wires are lead from the Motolights. I did hack the harness to just a foot, but left enough to fish the plugs out from under the front cowling by the forks without removing the body panel. I really didn't want a fuse box over the battery. First, the rat's nest you have to take apart that, second, will have to be done eventually, if for nada else, but to get the steenkeen gas tank off.

Some criticism was hurled in my general direction because I buried my fuse box on the LT. In all the years I rode the LT with over 108 thou on it, I never popped a fuse. Careful wiring practices: solder, heat shrink, tape and then some sort of loom has never caused a short of any kind.

You ever try to hang something on the wall with two holes? What a PITA to get straight and to get the screws/nails to match up with what you're hanging. My wife taught me this trick she learned from some house fix up show: make a template. I screwed my Garmin puck to the Big Mak shelf.

And here's where that template plate trick really came in handy. I frenched this neat leetle volt meter into dash. It has a small frame that finishes it up and makes it real purdy with four leetle holes that require four leetle screws. Somewhat nerve wracking, but it came out perfect and I can see the shape my battery and charging system is in. Notice that I got wet on the way home?

It looks deformed in the pic, but that's just water running off it.

Have I mentioned that I really love this bike? Man, I can't wait to get her run in and stop dawdling around with the 7 thou RPM thang. I need to get the V1 sorted soon, though.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode