Anyone here change their oil filter yet? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2006, 5:55 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Anyone here change their oil filter yet?

While I was out putzing with the bike and looking over a way to tighten up the bit loose sidestand and maybe lube it a bit (seems kind'a dry as well as the footpeg swivels), I finally found the elusive (to me) oil filter.

It is a really small and short shiny black thing that sits right behind the bracket holding the shift and sidestand linkage. It's really close to the stand/shift bracket, maybe a finger's width.

I was trying to figure out how far the thing may unscrew were one able to get a cap or top filter wrench on it? Looks like it may require removal of the sidestand mount bracket. If not, maybe a strap wrench would get it off? It does look like the bottom fairing cover may have to come off anyhoo.

Not quite as nice as the filter on the RT that points upwards and oil doesn't run all over the place. I have a feeling this filter is going to be messy as it is horizontal.

Least it's only a 6000 mile job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2006, 6:02 pm
Strafist

A filter wrench (kinda works like a big pair of pliers) works nicely. Make a drip guard with some aluminum foil or cardboard routing it into your drain pan.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2006, 6:11 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
A filter wrench (kinda works like a big pair of pliers) works nicely. Make a drip guard with some aluminum foil or cardboard routing it into your drain pan.
Thanks. I'm going to look for one at Harbor Freight since they carry all the weird stuff. I don't think the local Craftsman tool bin at Orchard Supply and Hardware has one. Maybe Kragen Auto?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2006, 7:27 pm

Oil Filter Wrench

Go to NAPA Auto Parts - NAPA Service Tool part # 3369 works great .
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2006, 7:49 pm
Veteran

These folks are a supporter of the MOA and make a very nice piece of kit for removing oil filters:
http://www.beemerbalancers.com/

All you need is a ratchet and extension. And yes, the lower fairing has to be removed (left side only) and note, there is a small tab that is under the fairing about half way back and about 2-3 inches down from the joint of lower and upper fairings. This is a wee bit tricky the first time, but not difficult now that you know.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode