Bike stalling after long ride - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 12:11 am Thread Starter

Thumbs down Bike stalling after long ride

Hi All,

My GT exhibited the infamous "Stalling after long ride" syndrome today. I did about 300 miles today and the last 150 were at an average 75-80 mph. I exited the freeway near my house and came to a stop. The bike was idling fine at the red light. I made a left turn and at the next stop light the bike stalled while I was coming to a stop. It was almost as if the fuel supply had shut off. The revs came down like they always do, but kept going right down to zero. I pressed the starter and gave a little gas. It took a couple of tries, but the bike finally started, ran rough for a couple of seconds and then seemed to be running just fine.

I am taking it in for its 6K service on Wednesday and I will let the dealer know about the occurrence. I'll be curious to see if there are any faults on the readout when hooked up to the GT-1.

Have any of you fellow stallers found any useful information that you care to share on the subject??

BTW, I have had the CIP 7.0 upgrade already.

Pete D.
Simi Valley,CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 1:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdamski
Hi All,

My GT exhibited the infamous "Stalling after long ride" syndrome today. I did about 300 miles today and the last 150 were at an average 75-80 mph. I exited the freeway near my house and came to a stop. The bike was idling fine at the red light. I made a left turn and at the next stop light the bike stalled while I was coming to a stop. It was almost as if the fuel supply had shut off. The revs came down like they always do, but kept going right down to zero. I pressed the starter and gave a little gas. It took a couple of tries, but the bike finally started, ran rough for a couple of seconds and then seemed to be running just fine.

I am taking it in for its 6K service on Wednesday and I will let the dealer know about the occurrence. I'll be curious to see if there are any faults on the readout when hooked up to the GT-1.

Have any of you fellow stallers found any useful information that you care to share on the subject??

Pete D.
Simi Valley,CA
Hi Pete,

Mine does the same thing... Will be going back to dealer for Oxygen sensor replacement this coming wednesday... I don't think that will fix the problem, but that's what my dealer told me the last time I took it in and complain about stalling. They never did upgrade to 7.0. the last time I was there.

Quite a few of us have the same problem, i don't think anyone of them is fix yet. BMW should fix this before anyone of us get hurt... Or worst... Kill.

Last edited by LA-K12GT; Oct 16th, 2006 at 1:38 am.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 6:36 am

I,ve been reading about this problem and lurking for some time now and would like to add my 2 cents.. My 06 model had the erratic idle (from 1200 to 2000) and only did that after riding for a while (100 miles or so) While in that mode the bike would also buck wildly while trying to hold a constant speed ..It seemed that if I stopped and cycled the computer through a stop and start sometimes the problem would go away.. Other times it would do the high idle thing for hundreds of miles, making it difficult to jam the bike in gear at a redlight..My dealer installed the 7.0 and replaced a speed sensor located on the camshaft.. When I left for the mountains last week all was well for a while..then the bike stalled as I pulled in to one of the scenic overlooks on the Blue Ridge Parkway..This is exasperating to me .. So far its brought me home but I dont know when the problem may worsen .
My dealer has done his best to correct the problem and the area rep has been calling the shots as to what the mechs could do.. apparently the computer is limited as to the number of upgrades it will accept...
I am near the point of seeking a buy back from bmwna..curious to see what they could try next.. I dont like being a guinea-pig doing the R & D.. The problem is also hard to replicate on command and will usually perform well on a standard check ride..
Someone else on this site said "technology is a great thing...when it works" and I cant agree more..I love this bike would like to see my problem remedied.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 7:08 am

Hey Bill Vance,

while i have no answers for the issue (i've just had my brake master cylinder replaced on my '07 after 2 weeks/1,100 miles of ownership)....
i'm very happy that this subject has brought you out of being a lurker

we're happy that you've joined us
please contribute often... your first post has been very thoughtful and insightful

thanks for being here
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 8:25 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdamski
Hi All,

Pete D.
Simi Valley,CA
Pete, same exact issue with my 06. Dealer here in Austin has been very receptive to correct however, can not duplicate. I thought 7.0 would correct. Did not. I have had three occurrances, all while running 200+ mile trips, speeds at 80-100 mph, ALWAYS OCCURRS WHILE GEARING DOWN FOR STOP. It just dies with an errie silence. Restarts and runs fine.

Please continue to post your progress or lack of. THanks and good luck.

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog !"

07 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 9:56 am
I'm riding

It could be a faulty shaft position sensor. To be replaced.
Similar situation was with Yammys FJR, R1 and FZ6 - recall because of defective sensors.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 10:09 am

There are actually 3 problems. You never know when the bike is going to do this. All these 3 problems could cause accident...

1) Stall during down shift, slow speed, during a turn.. from 3 to 2...

2) Idle at high RPM... around 1800rpm or so

3) RPM stay up to where you blip it to for a 1/2 second or so before coming back down.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 2:04 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
It could be a faulty shaft position sensor. To be replaced.
Similar situation was with Yammys FJR, R1 and FZ6 - recall because of defective sensors.

Easyman, any more details? You are the 2nd person to have mentioned that. My service manager said it could be a possibity as well. You could be on to something, here...

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog !"

07 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 3:12 pm
Noob

At least your service managers are trying to resolve the issue. Mine is waiting to hear from BMW or from one of the dealers before he touches my bike.........................
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 7:35 pm

Unhappy

Same problem as BeemerDude described on a 05 K1200S with 7.0 installed. If I find any solution I will post it.

Nick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode