Givi top box... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 10:31 am Thread Starter

Givi top box...

Hello,

I have an '07 K1200GT that I would like to mount a GIVI E460 top box to. I've used the box on most every bike I've owned and would like to mount it to the GT. I spoke with GIVI Usa and they don't have any information whether GIVI Italy it working on anything. Has anyone else come up with a clean solution? I was considering just bolting an adapter plate to the stock rack but I'm not sure that's the way to go. Thanks for your help.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 10:50 am
Rookie

Givi Mount

Matt,
I have a Givi 460 mounted to my GT.
I used the RT mount.
The BMW box mounts to either the RT or GT, so I figured the Givi RT mount would work.
It did.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 10:52 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDrifterus
Matt,
I used the RT mount.
The BMW box mounts to either the RT or GT, so I figured the Givi RT mount would work.
It did.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm suprised the geniuses at GIVI didn't recommend that. Could you please post a picture?

Thanks

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 10:59 am

Quote:
Matt,
I used the RT mount.
It did.
Hi, do you have the site to buy and/or part number for Givi 460?

The ones from BMW are way too much $$$ :o
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 11:07 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-K12GT
Hi, do you have the site to buy and/or part number for Givi 460?

The ones from BMW are way too much $$$ :o
That is exactly why I purchased the GIVI 460 in the first place. I guess the best place as I understand it to purchase is RL Motorcycles. I don't know the Part # but if you look on www.giviusa.com and check they have a few different top boxes that would look decent on the GT. I don't think the E460 would be my first choice but its what I already have.

I believe their website is www.rlmotorcycles.com

Matt
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 11:08 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Matt,
I used the RT mount.
It did.
After reading your post I contacted GIVI about this. They said they tried fitting the RT plate on the GT and it didn't work? I'm sure they are full of shit since you have it mounted. Did you have to modify anything? As I replied before - pics would be great if you could post some up. Thanks for your help.

Matt
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 11:53 am

Note - the Givi box reduces pillion space on the RT and GT due to the design of the box and and its location fitment.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 5:54 pm
Noob

I don't know if they are comparable, but I fitted my Givi V46 straight on to the back of the GT using just the supplied Givi fitting and some longer than standard allen bolts.

It clamped on with some brackets underneath the plate. A bit fiddly to line it up properly but technically very easy.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 6:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by simond
I don't know if they are comparable, but I fitted my Givi V46 straight on to the back of the GT using just the supplied Givi fitting and some longer than standard allen bolts.

It clamped on with some brackets underneath the plate. A bit fiddly to line it up properly but technically very easy.
How secure is the Givi topbox after the install? Want to make sure my passenger still on the bike after we got to the destination. :p

Thanks.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2006, 9:56 am

I've fitted my Givi 46l box on my GT and now done some 7 months of touring using it without problems.

See my response here along with pictures of using the Givi R1200RT mount on the K1200GT rear rack.

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=4432

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode