Need Advice on Cee Bailey Windshield - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 9:09 pm Thread Starter

Need Advice on Cee Bailey Windshield

I just got back from a 6000 mile ride. The bike is everything i thought it would be and more. But the windshield and seat suck.

I am 5' 6" and have the standard windshield. I was thinking about going +2 higher and +2 wider. I am thinking that i don't have to raise the windshield up all the way but have the option when needed.

It is one thing to ride in the gulf coast area and another to handle the elements of the mountains and desert winds.

Even know the +2 would have me looking out the windshield i figure i may need thoose 2 inches at some point.

I am curious what other short people are doing. Also, how is the wind noise.

Retroboy

Retroboy
2007 k1200 GT-Dark Graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2006, 7:07 am

Trying to figure out what I need as well but I s'pose I should wait until I have some miles on the new bike first. From the test and demo rides I'm thinking +3 +4 for long distance rides and I'll keep the stock [tall] for warmer weather and shorter riding.

I DO know that I like the darker tint, I think that will look great with the DGM color. In my insomnia last night I was thinking about powder coating the rims with a bronzed graphite color... I'll be happy when I can just ride the damn thing!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2006, 7:49 am

I have a +4+2. Those measurements are based off of the standard (not tall) windshield. Unless you spec'd otherwise, and you bought your bike in the US you probably have the tall windshield. The standard is 2" shorter than the tall. This makes mine 2" taller than the tall screen and 2" wider.

I am 6'1" and rather broad in the shoulders. With the screen all the way down I get a smooth airflow that hits me in the upper chest/chin bar area. With the screen at half mast it hits the top of my helmet. .75 up and I am in silence and just looking over the top edge of the screen.

HTH,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2006, 8:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnblazer
I have a +4+2. Those measurements are based off of the standard (not tall) windshield. Unless you spec'd otherwise, and you bought your bike in the US you probably have the tall windshield. The standard is 2" shorter than the tall. This makes mine 2" taller than the tall screen and 2" wider.

I am 6'1" and rather broad in the shoulders. With the screen all the way down I get a smooth airflow that hits me in the upper chest/chin bar area. With the screen at half mast it hits the top of my helmet. .75 up and I am in silence and just looking over the top edge of the screen.

HTH,
Brian
Any pics?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2006, 8:36 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroboy
I just got back from a 6000 mile ride. The bike is everything i thought it would be and more. But the windshield and seat suck.

I am 5' 6" and have the standard windshield. I was thinking about going +2 higher and +2 wider. I am thinking that i don't have to raise the windshield up all the way but have the option when needed.

It is one thing to ride in the gulf coast area and another to handle the elements of the mountains and desert winds.

Even know the +2 would have me looking out the windshield i figure i may need thoose 2 inches at some point.

I am curious what other short people are doing. Also, how is the wind noise.

Retroboy
I think you got the correct measurements (+2+2). I'm 6' and the C.B. +4+2 works well for me. I look through it if it is all the way up, but it's a bit noisy in that area. Lowering it an inch or so allows me to look over it and it's pretty quiet at that point. It's not dead quiet, but maybe 80% more than the stocker.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2006, 9:20 am
Noob

I'm close to 6'.0" and I installed the C.B. +5+2. which proved to be to high when set all the way down. I like to lean forward while riding the twisties and it kinds of blocks my open view. After riding with it for >3,000 miles I would of have been better off with a +4+2.
In the other hand, in regards to highway wind noise , it is incredible quiet once you set it a bit lower than 3/4 of the way up.....
I agree with Retroboy the seat sucks on long rides......
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2006, 9:29 am

I have the +4+3 on order. It should be shipped this week. Weather permitting, I will let you know my thoughts. CB also said they would exchange it for a different one if I am unsatisfied.
I am not sure about the width.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2006, 10:53 am
Noob

Taller Windshield

I have the "tall" windshield. But I am 6'1" and it is not enough.

So I ordered the CEEBailey +5+2, which should arrive in a week or two.

I do not know where you are (I am in Florida, Sarasota), but I am willing to ship you my tall windshield, which is practically new. You pay the FedEx which will be about $12.

You try it. If you do not like it, ship it back. If you like it, I am sure we can agree on a fair price (new it is $ 100) ... I am an easy person.

Let me know.

[email protected]
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2006, 12:27 pm
Enthusiast

Just got back from El Paseo (bmwsportouring.com) and 1800 miles. I knew before I left that the stock (tall) shield was noisy, but this time I finally had my autocom installed. I had to have the volume cranked to overcome earplugs and the howl from the screen. I'm 6'4" and need more shield height. I'll talk to CB and see what they recommend. Why are you guys going with wider screens, not just taller?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2006, 12:43 pm

I have the 4 + 2 as well. I am right at 6' and I can still look over the windsheild at full extension. I would have liked to gone maybe one more inch taller. Part of it is the seat was redone by Bill Maher (which I like by the way) and with the stiffer foam I think I sit slightly higher. I have had numerous cee bailey sheilds on different BMW's, once you figure out the height you want you will not regret it. I would recomend going 1" taller than you think you need, just make sure when the sheild is all the way down you can still look over it. That will give you a ton of options depending on the weather. I would also not recomend the tinted sheilds if you want to look through it at all, they look good but suck at night! Just my 2 cents worth!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode