K1200GT (The Next Generation) Forum or NOT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2006, 9:30 pm Thread Starter
Addict

K1200GT (The Next Generation) Forum or NOT

At great risk of incurring the wraith of the members of this forum, I'm disappointed at the willingness to promote other makes and models on this website. While it is certainly healthy to discuss and compare the new KGT with other makes and models I don't think it is appropriate to openly promote other makes on this forum. If I wanted to ride another make I would. If I wanted to know about another make I'd go to their website or forum. I became a member of this website and forum because I ride and enjoy BMW motorcycles and in particular the new KGT. It appears that I have mistaken what this forum's purpose is and while I've truly enjoyed participating in some of the discussions and learning from other's experiences on the KGT I'm signing off.

Safe riding to all.

John
06 CGM (still the fastest color) KGT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2006, 9:40 pm
Strafist

Variety is the spice of life and staying in the box is boring.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2006, 9:53 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John06KGT
At great risk of incurring the wraith of the members of this forum, I'm disappointed at the willingness to promote other makes and models on this website. While it is certainly healthy to discuss and compare the new KGT with other makes and models I don't think it is appropriate to openly promote other makes on this forum. If I wanted to ride another make I would. If I wanted to know about another make I'd go to their website or forum. I became a member of this website and forum because I ride and enjoy BMW motorcycles and in particular the new KGT. It appears that I have mistaken what this forum's purpose is and while I've truly enjoyed participating in some of the discussions and learning from other's experiences on the KGT I'm signing off.

Safe riding to all.

John
This is a forum to discuss the BMW K1200GT (K44). I don't think there is an overabundance of discussion of other bikes here and certainly no 'promotion' of other bikes. This web community is comprised of many members and as such offers an amalgam of their views. That said, I think bikes in direct competition to the K1200GT can be and should be open for discussion. The ST1300, FJR1300 and now the Connie 14 are certainly direct competitors for the K1200GT. If you want a community with heavy handed moderation that doesn't allow the friendly discussion of any bike in a given category, you are in the wrong place. Most of us know what we like about what we own and don't need to be sheltered from discussion of the faults of and competition for our bikes. I wish you luck at finding a community that offers you the single minded and narrowly focused discussions you are looking for.

I have ridden the ST1300 and the FJR and they are very good bikes. They are not the bike that the K1200GT is, at least for my use. Little is known about the Connie 14, but it sounds like a capable bike as well.

Discussion of the K1200GT blended with occasional honest discussions about the direct competition will lead us all to a better understanding of what we like (and what falls short) with the K1200GT.

I guess I suffer from extreme pragmatism

Click
here to become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com

Randy Prade,
Aurora, CO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2006, 10:36 pm

Quote:

Safe riding to all.

John

I'm taking m marbles and going home. I have been spending alot of ime on this site as of late because i was very interested in buying a k1200gt. I've done three demo rides and made an offer on the demo bike I was riding. A beautiful 06 CGM. I have learned alot about this bike I was not aware of both good and bad. Dont let discussio of other makes send you into a tailspoin of buyers remorse or make you feel like someone is dissing you personally. All these bikes are great and this segment is getting better all the time BECAUSE of the competition. The 1200 Gt has an unprecedented level of refinement as far as comfort and conveniece features ,some would say too many of these. I like discussing the relative merits as I dont have any of them yet. Welll I do have a futura which is pretty much at the other end of the scale but still an awesome bike but just not sure I want to take it on some reaaaaly ong rides. You know BMWST used to be BMW RT . com and many over there have gone on to other makes and come back or not but still frequent the forum.. Its really about the beaty of sprt touring but this forum is slanted towards gt owners. It doesnt have to exclude everyone else or forbid discussion that is not gt related.

Tim Baker Maybe a GT, Maybe a GTR
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2006, 1:05 am
Addict

Thumbs up

I agree with the latter sentiments.
I'm interested in the competition even though I purchased another BM, and would not remotely consider a Japanese bike, as they just don't grab me, and are for the masses in general. (My POV, and not bagging any one else for favouring the Japanese machines, if that floats their boat). BMW suits my sense of individuality, and IS unique amongst the other machines on the road. Even if the other makes were better bikes (and I'm sure they all do something better than the new GT).
It's fairly simple, if you don't want to read the post, go to the next one. I certainly don't read everything, and find so much comment relevant only to the US based members, but still think this is the best K site out there.

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2006, 1:14 am

Keep your friend close, keep your enemy closer...

Know about other bikes (enemy) could come in handy... Know their strength and weakness... pick your line and pass them...
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2006, 5:08 am

Quote:

Safe riding to all.

John
John,
i guess i'm not really sure why you feel this way.
forums wax and wane in their excitement about a new bike...
discussion waver from being exciting and "cutting edge" to boring and mundane.

THIS forum is quite amazing... not just because of the discussions about the GT (a bike which i love very much, as you know) but, because of the folks who are here.
i consider so many of the people on this board, my friends. it really is an honor to be a member of this place.

i'm thrilled to discuss other bikes here. i don't feel like spending hours on the Yamaha forum (though, those are a great bunch of folks, too... i'm sure).

while i love BMWs... and i've had one in my garage for a long long time, i love other bikes as well. My SIGNATURE surely indicates that to everyone.

i hope that you will stay around this forum as i'm really NOT sure what PROMPTED this thread.... though, i fiind it a fascinating discussion.

YOU are happy with YOUR GT, aren't you?
what else matters.... folks around here LOVE the GT, as well, of course

Competition is a great thing... it's what drives our economy and fuels the future of our 2-wheeled passions

thanks for being here with your FRIENDS in the forum.... stay around... we need you here
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2006, 7:38 am
Addict

I came to this Forum to learn as much about the GT as possible because I've been considering selling the LT and getting the GT. As a longtime Connie owner, I find it amazing that the new C14 has created such a stir on this Forum and bmwlt.com. The Connie has been around for 20yrs and hardly anyone has paid attention to it. Now the C14 is announced, and not even released yet, and it's the talk of the town.

Competiton is a good thing. And to be able to read about it across multiple Forums gives you a wide variety of opinions on the competition.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2006, 8:54 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
I came to this Forum to learn as much about the GT as possible because I've been considering selling the LT and getting the GT. As a longtime Connie owner, I find it amazing that the new C14 has created such a stir on this Forum and bmwlt.com. The Connie has been around for 20yrs and hardly anyone has paid attention to it. Now the C14 is announced, and not even released yet, and it's the talk of the town.

Competiton is a good thing. And to be able to read about it across multiple Forums gives you a wide variety of opinions on the competition.
I would suspect that the Connie is garnering the attention because it has been around for 20 years unchanged. It has some new features that certainly make it more attractive, though still will not offer cruise control which BMW alone offers in this category. If you are a fan of the sport touring segment, it has to be exciting to see the bar being raised by all of the manufacturers.

Click
here to become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com

Randy Prade,
Aurora, CO

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2006, 9:28 am
Veteran

You probably made MOTORMAN'S day with this John. I tend to agree with you to a point . . . It seems there are some on this site as well as some other popular websites that just drop in, spew their venom and sit back and wait. Simply said, these people are idiots, jealous, or just don't have a life. And while I have the same emotions as you do on this subject and my 'laser-guided smart reply' is not yet perfected to destroy their computer so I get sucked in as well, my final word(s) of encouragement are: SOMETIMES THESE IDIOTS ARE MORE INTERESTING THAN A THREAD ON SYNTHETIC VS REGULAR OIL.

Stick around as I'd miss your posts.

Regards,
John

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA

Last edited by jpalamaro; Oct 19th, 2006 at 9:36 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode