07 K1200GT (knees) - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 4:01 am Thread Starter

07 K1200GT (knees)

Picked up my GT last week and spent 3 days on county roads in Georgia. Put about 200 miles a day with the wife on back. She loves it and so do I. Its my first BMW and Im impressed. Went back to Tallahasse and got my 600 mile service and headed home to Pensacola. Rode thru a hell of a rain storm with 40 mph cross winds and the bike stuck like glue. If I had been on my Victory I would have had to pull over.
Her is the kicker, Im coming from a Victory and the ridding position on the GT is killing my knees. I had the dealer lower the pegs one inch and have ordered some handle bar extensions also. Highest position not enough.
I love this bike and hope I can get comforable on it. Wife says I need to work out a little and get my knees in shape.
Is there any (highway pegs) available for this bike? I know that sounds crazy but on long trips I need to stretch out some.
David AKA Catfish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 5:00 am

Old age, I'm afraid....stretch ....stretch and stretch again. The best engineering solution is with you, not the bike.

As a fanatical runner, who knows many other fanatical runners, i can tell you that knee
pain is most often caused by ligament and muscle issues running through and across the knees.

It makes sense.

So stretch out those hamstrings.

Ben
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 5:01 am

David,

I'm coming from Victory as well. Had an 04 Kingpin and am selling the 03 Classic Cruiser, great bikes but not the KGT. Why'd you switch and what Vic were you riding? I don't know if you spent much time at thevmc.com but I'm enjoying the deeper gene pool of the BMW forums and crowd. Vic's customer base went from "bike enthusiats" to "penis compensators" as the 250mm rear tire "[factory mass produced] custom" became the "new american motrocycle" and they dropped the bikes that put them on the map.

Great engine, the Freedom is. I don't count them out yet, but once I started looking at the beemers I couldn't stop. Then I test rode the KGT and that was all it took. For the same $20k you're getting so much more bike AND it doesn't punish you. Anyhoo...

Checkout this link for a great discussion on riding position and exercises. For me I've been running 3-4 miles 3-5 times per week and it has really helped my core muscles and stamina. http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...age/page//vc/1

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 5:42 am
Addict

a tip

i was six months getting used to the bmw riding position. coupla tips: keep toes as close to six oclock when riding. this will put balance in legs where it belongs. concentrate on relaxing elbows, this will be a good barometer as to whether u are riding correctly. master this and riding will become very relaxing. good luck.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 6:17 am
Strafist

Hey Catfish, I've yet to do a long day on the GT, but did plenty of 1,000+ mile days on the LT. I've found just moving around helps a lot. What I call "pumping", little up and downs using the legs. You can drop your legs off the pegs (be real careful and don't do it in turns) and stretch them out.

Some genius will come up with something eventualy to get the legs stretched out some. On the LT I had a product call the Highway Ottomans. Put a leg straight out on one and it really stretches out the ham.

At times I miss the LT, but am I a fickle bitch or what? As soon as I throw a leg over the GT, all of them thoughts are gone.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 8:25 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridwell52
Picked up my GT last week and spent 3 days on county roads in Georgia. Put about 200 miles a day with the wife on back. She loves it and so do I. Its my first BMW and Im impressed. Went back to Tallahasse and got my 600 mile service and headed home to Pensacola. Rode thru a hell of a rain storm with 40 mph cross winds and the bike stuck like glue. If I had been on my Victory I would have had to pull over.
Her is the kicker, Im coming from a Victory and the ridding position on the GT is killing my knees. I had the dealer lower the pegs one inch and have ordered some handle bar extensions also. Highest position not enough.
I love this bike and hope I can get comforable on it. Wife says I need to work out a little and get my knees in shape.
Is there any (highway pegs) available for this bike? I know that sounds crazy but on long trips I need to stretch out some.
David AKA Catfish
Age creeping in, but here's another suggestion. DVT, or 'deep vein thrombosis', without going into the physiology as I am not a doctor, has to do with blood pooling in the veins and clotting, and all of the bad things associated with blood clots.

During a long ride, no matter what bike I am on I periodically (at least once per hour) I do isotonics on my legs/calves (tense/un-tense) and do leg 'push-ups'. Doesn't take but a minute or two, and I think it helps a lot.

Good luck, and welcome.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 9:52 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Hey Catfish, I've yet to do a long day on the GT, but did plenty of 1,000+ mile days on the LT. I've found just moving around helps a lot. What I call "pumping", little up and downs using the legs. You can drop your legs off the pegs (be real careful and don't do it in turns) and stretch them out.

Some genius will come up with something eventualy to get the legs stretched out some. On the LT I had a product call the Highway Ottomans. Put a leg straight out on one and it really stretches out the ham.

At times I miss the LT, but am I a fickle bitch or what? As soon as I throw a leg over the GT, all of them thoughts are gone.
I sure hope you're right, and that some way to add highway (i.e. forward) pegs without drilling thru the fairing is developed soon. This is the one place where my FJR has a clear advantage on long mileage days over the GT. And, the FJR pegs were fairly inexpensive and took 15 minutes to install as well.

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 HD Dyna-Glide
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 12:30 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringProfessor
I sure hope you're right, and that some way to add highway (i.e. forward) pegs without drilling thru the fairing is developed soon. This is the one place where my FJR has a clear advantage on long mileage days over the GT. And, the FJR pegs were fairly inexpensive and took 15 minutes to install as well.
Ron, of Kontour Seats fame, has developed some slick calf placements CNC'ed from aluminum for the LT. He's working on the GT as we speak. Hey Ron!!!! You better be working on the GT one's.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 1:35 pm
Enthusiast

I will only echo the responses that the solution to knee pain is with the rider rather than the bike. I am a BIG guy and have had achy knees all my life, especially since high school football. Since I started riding bikes for longer distances about ten years ago, I began to specifically work on stretching and exercising my knees. I only do it a few times a week, but it makes it possible for me to ride even the K1200S with little discomfort. Like others have said you also need to stretch and/or move your legs from time to time while riding. Everyone finds their own method - mine is to stick one leg out then the other to the side several times an hour. I also stand up on the pegs or let my legs hang down. The key is to move them frequently. When I stop for fuel, I spend a few minutes alternating between straightening my knees and squatting. One day on a recent trip, I rode the GT over 600 miles, stopping twice for fuel only and at the end of the day my knees were not a problem at all.

On my LT I had J-pegs, later replaced by the XL version. I found that the techniques described above worked better than the J-pegs for keeping my knees comfortable.

Click
here to become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com

Randy Prade,
Aurora, CO

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 9:51 pm

Try titanium tape...And don't knock it till you have at least tried it. Or, you can continue with the pain. Your choice obviously. Available at some sport stores or on-line. Google it.

Just trying to help out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode